Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
FLO DISC with 11 speed?
Quote | Reply
Hypothetically speaking of course, what would be involved in getting a set of FLO wheels (currently 10-sp) working with the new 2014 Cervelo P3 that has the 11-sp Dura Ace or Ultegra (not Di2) drivetrain? I currently have a rear FLO 90 and one of the newer FLO DISCs (July of this year).

<edit>
since it has been established that the FLO 60/90 will work with 11-speed with the appropriate $35 free hub replacement, I renamed the thread to better reflect the outstanding question
</edit>
Last edited by: michael_runs: Dec 20, 13 10:33
Quote Reply
Re: new Cervelo P3 (11-sp) with FLO wheels? [michael_runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the 30/60/90 FLO's, all you have to do is buy an 11 speed hub body from FLO. I don't think the disks are compatible.
Quote Reply
Re: new Cervelo P3 (11-sp) with FLO wheels? [gttri15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gttri15 wrote:
For the 30/60/90 FLO's, all you have to do is buy an 11 speed hub body from FLO. I don't think the disks are compatible.

Well that's a bummer on the discs.
Quote Reply
Re: new Cervelo P3 (11-sp) with FLO wheels? [gttri15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gttri15 wrote:

Is there a way to use the FLO DISC with the 10-speed cassette on this bike with this drivetrain?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michael_runs wrote:
gttri15 wrote:

Is there a way to use the FLO DISC with the 10-speed cassette on this bike with this drivetrain?

Sure, replace your shifters with 10-speed shifters.
Quote Reply
Re: new Cervelo P3 (11-sp) with FLO wheels? [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you are assuming the actuation is the same for 10 and 11spdrear der. I don't know if they are. I know cable angle is visually different, but I suppose they could be the same
Quote Reply
Re: new Cervelo P3 (11-sp) with FLO wheels? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
you are assuming the actuation is the same for 10 and 11spdrear der. I don't know if they are. I know cable angle is visually different, but I suppose they could be the same

Yeah, you're right. I just guessed that the derailleur geometry was the same, but there's no guarantee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the disk had a Campy freehub option? In that case, you can run a Campy 11 sp cassette with a SRAM or Shimano 11 speed drivetrain, since per Zinn over at Velonews, the cog spacing between Campy, SRAM and Shimano 11 sp cassettes is virtually the same.
Quote Reply
Re: new Cervelo P3 (11-sp) with FLO wheels? [markg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, Campy, Shimano and SRAM are all compatible with each other now with 11-speed. I actually think the Campy freehub body is a nicer design as well.
Quote Reply
Re: new Cervelo P3 (11-sp) with FLO wheels? [markg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markg wrote:
I thought the disk had a Campy freehub option? In that case, you can run a Campy 11 sp cassette with a SRAM or Shimano 11 speed drivetrain, since per Zinn over at Velonews, the cog spacing between Campy, SRAM and Shimano 11 sp cassettes is virtually the same.

I think on FLO's website, you can buy a Campy free hub or an Shimano 11-sp free hub. It does not specify that the Campy free hub is 11-sp however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In other parts of the Flo store (ex: Flo 30 rear wheel), Campy freehubs are listed as 9/10/11 speed.
Quote Reply
Re: new Cervelo P3 (11-sp) with FLO wheels? [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Di2 11sp and then you can reprogram the shifters to be 10speed?
Quote Reply
Re: new Cervelo P3 (11-sp) with FLO wheels? [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:

Is that a question or a statement? Can Di2 do that easily?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michael_runs wrote:
GatorRacer wrote:

Is that a question or a statement? Can Di2 do that easily?

Statement...But I will clarify that im not 100% certain which is why I left the question mark. I know that the shifters can be reprogrammed to handle 11sp if you buy and 11sp derailleur, so Im assuming you can program to go to 10speed if you have an 11 speed derailleur. Someone confirm?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Renamed the thread to better reflect the question
Quote Reply
Re: new Cervelo P3 (11-sp) with FLO wheels? [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Di2 e-tube rear derailleurs determine the 10 or 11 speed part of the equation. The shifters aren't programmable for the speeds. Though using certain shifters and derailleur combinations may require that the component firmware be updated.
Quote Reply
Re: new Cervelo P3 (11-sp) with FLO wheels? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen the use of Campy 11 speed cassettes mentioned a lot. I haven't seen details about what drivetrain adjustments are necessary to make this combo work. I would guess the top and bottom of the rear derailleur must be shifted to match the Campy cassette position on the freehub. Can anyone confirm? I have some 2011 Zipps which has a hub that won't work with the Zipp 11sp freehub upgrade and wheel redish. If having a Campy hub and cassette means readjusting the rear derailleur for every wheel swap I'll forget this option.
Quote Reply
Re: new Cervelo P3 (11-sp) with FLO wheels? [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
I've seen the use of Campy 11 speed cassettes mentioned a lot. I haven't seen details about what drivetrain adjustments are necessary to make this combo work. I would guess the top and bottom of the rear derailleur must be shifted to match the Campy cassette position on the freehub. Can anyone confirm? I have some 2011 Zipps which has a hub that won't work with the Zipp 11sp freehub upgrade and wheel redish. If having a Campy hub and cassette means readjusting the rear derailleur for every wheel swap I'll forget this option.

Curious about this also. Is it really possible to put a Campy freehub body on a pre-2012 Zipp that had a Shimano freehub and have it work 11sp, with NO wheel re-dishing?

That would seem to be the easiest path to go from 10->11.

Looking at Campy cassette prices however ... you don't have the option to get something in the Ultegra price range. Chorus is less than DA but 2x the price of Utegra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michael_runs wrote:

Yes, there is a way.

There is a trick that allows you to use a Shimano 11-25 (or 11-28) 11-speed cassette and fit it correctly on any of your old 8/9/10 speed wheels, including most discs. You just drop out the loose 16T cog and the one associated spacer (drop out the 14T cog instead if you're using an 11-28), the cassette will still have a correctly spaced progressive gearing spread. Then, take that removed 11 speed cassette spacer and then use it as a 'behind cassette spacer' instead of the standard shimano spacer (as is typically used behind old 10-speed cassettes).

This will create a new 'hybrid' 10-speed cassette but with 11-speed cog-to-cog spacing (so you'll be able to use it with any properly adjusted shimano 11-speed drivetrain; i.e., be sure to adjust the limit screws of your RD so that it won't shift past the 10th cog of this hybrid cassette). Set up this way, this new cassette will be equal in width to a standard 10-speed cassette (with the standard shimano spacer) to within 1 or 2 tenths of a millimeter, and this is super close. But it will shift perfectly on your shimano 11-speed drivetrain.

I know this because I have tried it on some 8/9/10 speed wheels, and also verified these dimensional numbers with calipers. Happy riding ...

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Sep 20, 14 13:35
Quote Reply
Re: new Cervelo P3 (11-sp) with FLO wheels? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can this be done with an 11-28 11 speed cassette too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
michael_runs wrote:

Yes, there is a way.

There is a trick that allows you to use a Shimano 11-25 11-speed cassette and fit it correctly on any of your old 8/9/10 speed wheels, including your flo disc. You just drop out the loose 16 tooth cog and the one associated spacer, the cassette will still have a correct progressive gearing spread. Then, take that removed 11s cassette spacer and use it as a 'behind cassette spacer' instead of the standard shimano spacer (as typically used behind old 10 speed cassettes). This will create a new 10 speed cassette but with 11 speed cog-to-cog spacing (so you'll be able to use any properly adjusted shimano 11 speed drivetrain) that will be within 1 or 2 tenths of a mm of the width of an old 10 speed cassette on your older wheels. I know this because I have tried it (on older zipps) and verified it all with calipers. Happy riding ...

Greg @ dsw

My main concern isn't getting an 11-speed cassette on the wheel. FLO sells a free hub part for $35 that will allow me to put an 11-speed cassette on the wheel. My concern is derailleur rubbing against the disc. Will this "trick" alleviate that problem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 11 sp Di2 with an 11-28 shimano cassette. Want to get a flo disc but afraid they may not offer in 11 sp soon enough.
Quote Reply
Re: new Cervelo P3 (11-sp) with FLO wheels? [Teamzero86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Teamzero86 wrote:
Can this be done with an 11-28 11 speed cassette too?

In theory, yes. But if one drops out a loose cog on that cassette, the gearing spread won't be ideal.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So basically I just have to cross my fingers that Flo produces the disc in 11 sp starting January :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michael_runs wrote:
My main concern isn't getting an 11-speed cassette on the wheel. FLO sells a free hub part for $35 that will allow me to put an 11-speed cassette on the wheel. My concern is derailleur rubbing against the disc. Will this "trick" alleviate that problem?

If a standard 10-speed cassette does not cause rubbing, then using this hybrid 10/11 speed cassette should not cause rubbing either. But I think you may want to check with flo to confirm, as it depends on how thick the flo disc fairing is and how far it is from the driveside spokes.

--
Quote Reply

Prev Next