Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FIt: Giro vs Sidi
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

I am currently using a set of Sidi Genius 5 Pro shoes for the road. These are EU 45.5 and I couldn't go a mm smaller - but I like that. However, I'm looking to try something a little different and keep these as my rain and trainer shoes.

Lightweight, good power transfer, and adjustability are pluses. And, of course, something that I can slip some covers over easily for aero/warmth/dry purposes.

The Giro Empire SLX are top of my list. I was wondering if anyone has made the switch between Sidi and the SLX (or Empire model, in general) and could verse me in the size comparisons.

If I go with the Empire SLX, would a 45.5 good fit in the Sidi Genius 5 Pro transfer well? I could add a little extra room, but I couldn't go down any further.

Thanks for any input!
Quote Reply
Re: FIt: Giro vs Sidi [f_herman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately haven't tried the Sidi so can't give a comparison to that shoe. I switched to the Giro slx from Mavic Galibier. They are f***in' amazing shoes. So light, fit super snug, and super stiff. I've never had to adjust laces while riding either...they stay tight.

I have super narrow feet and these are one of the only shoes that gave me that glove feeling. I tried on some other pricey shoes (s-works, a Sidi different from yours) and these were clearly narrower. They have adjustable insoles for volume which is cool too. If you have wide feet I would consider sizing up. I tried on an empire prior to ordering online for sizing and they were basically the same.

Hope that helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been riding the Sidi Ergo carbon 4 for @ 6 years. 2 years ago I got the Giro Trans E70. Both are size 48. I could go no smaller in the Sidi. The Giro is a little roomier-----longer and wider in the toe box. Neither is uncomfortable. I could go to a 47.5 in the Giro and be comfortable.

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for the input. I'm a narrow and low volume foot and was mainly concerned with proper length.

I am currently using a pair of higher volume super feet (green ones) in them and this has really helped me keep the foot anchored in my shoe without having to crank things down too much.

I went ahead and am trying the 45 in the SLX (which should be the 45.5 equivalent in Sidi from the Giro charts) and will see how that goes.

Thanks again for all the information!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the earlier version of the Empires - Empire ACC. My review here - http://stevefleck.blogspot.ca/...-on-bike-part-2.html

I've been a fairly steady size 44 with a variety of shoes/brands over the years but had to drop down a .5 size here to a 43.5 with the Empire ACC's

Obviously NOT a tri shoe, unless you like to take your time in transition, but I can say that overall these are the lightest and most comfortable cycling shoes I have ever owned. I love the simplicity and retro look of the laces.

My wife has the newer Empire SLX - same feelings. Lightest most comfortable shoe she has ever had.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: FIt: Giro vs Sidi [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I have the earlier version of the Empires - Empire ACC. My review here - http://stevefleck.blogspot.ca/...-on-bike-part-2.html

I've been a fairly steady size 44 with a variety of shoes/brands over the years but had to drop down a .5 size here to a 43.5 with the Empire ACC's

Obviously NOT a tri shoe, unless you like to take your time in transition, but I can say that overall these are the lightest and most comfortable cycling shoes I have ever owned. I love the simplicity and retro look of the laces.

My wife has the newer Empire SLX - same feelings. Lightest most comfortable shoe she has ever had.

Thanks! Glad I sized down the 0.5 then.

And no, do definitely not looking to add as a tri shoe, but as a climber mostly. I'll check out the review link... appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Don't take that as gospel. You are always best to try the shoes on.

The 44's just had a bit too much volume in the fore-foot and toe-box to my liking.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: FIt: Giro vs Sidi [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Don't take that as gospel. You are always best to try the shoes on.

The 44's just had a bit too much volume in the fore-foot and toe-box to my liking.

Right.

I just wanted to get as best to a starting point as I could. I just bought them today local, but their online base since they didn't have any inventory on-site. So I'm covered if the fit is off, but really wanted to try and get something close.

And yes, I read about a wider toe box so ended up with that half size down to try and compensate for that.

I do like the idea a lot of ditching buckles and velcro straps - they were always a nightmare when dealing with shoe covers.
Quote Reply