Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
FDA's list over tainted supplements, doping OTC
Quote | Reply
The supplement industry is not regulated. That means you can never know what is in a product.
FDA has a list over tainted products.
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/...&displayAll=true

It can be good to check if you want to make sure you are not doping if you take supplement. Or if you have kids taking supplement. (and yes it can be used to dope also, but dopers know this anyway).
Quote Reply
Re: FDA's list over tainted supplements, doping OTC [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USADA also maintains a list of high risk supplements: http://www.supplement411.org/hrl/

You have go through a waiver process to get the list, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think most of know that the supplement industry is generally not regulated by the FDA, but this recent report on PBS FRONTLINE was truly shocking to me. You literally have no idea what is in that bottle of "Boogerweed+ Concentrate" that you bought from a major retailer or your local Mom and Pop Vitamin Shoppe. One thing that is certain is that there will probably be very little (if any) actual Boogerweed and the added vitamins and minerals may have originally come from China or God knows where with only the word of the producer as to what that powder in the barrel actually is.
To cap it off, the supplement industry trade organization has money and clout that make the NRA look like small timers. There is an incestuous relationship between the industry, the FDA and Congress that is totally shameless, guaranteeing that absolutely NOTHING is going to be done no matter how many people are injured or die. Take time to watch this report and you may change your mind about some of these items that we have all taken for granted for many years.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/supplements-and-safety/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always wondered about "tainted supplements".
Are these companies actually putting in PED's without listing them and giving a wink that their secret formula will make someone better?

I work in a medical device company and we don't "accidentally" drop in HGH to a product.
We do however, put it in products where it is listed as an ingredient.
Quote Reply
Re: FDA's list over tainted supplements, doping OTC [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
I've always wondered about "tainted supplements".
Are these companies actually putting in PED's without listing them and giving a wink that their secret formula will make someone better?

I work in a medical device company and we don't "accidentally" drop in HGH to a product.
We do however, put it in products where it is listed as an ingredient.

The supplement industry us totally unregulated. Totally opposite of the medical industry.
A manufacturer does not need to prove the product is safe. Kind of crazy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
The supplement industry is not regulated. .

Thank you, Orrin Hatch.

Douchebag.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: FDA's list over tainted supplements, doping OTC [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder about this too. Is this more of a "processed on the same equipment" sort of thing, or are they actually putting PEDs in their supplements? I feel like the PEDs would be too expensive to include. Do the supplement companies shady enough to consider PED use really care about actual performance gains anyway?
Quote Reply
Re: FDA's list over tainted supplements, doping OTC [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/CriminalInvestigations/ucm305494.htm

Quote:
The five products were: I Force Methadrol, Nutra Costal D-Stianozol, I Force Dymethazine, Rage RV5, and Genetic Edge Technologies (GET) SUS500. According to the plea agreements, the products were drugs because they contained synthetic anabolic steroids or synthetic chemical "clones" of anabolic steroids that were not dietary supplements and because they were labeled and promoted as products intended to affect the structure and function of the human body (building muscle mass).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:

The supplement industry us totally unregulated. Totally opposite of the medical industry.

I wish people would just take personal responsibility for what they put in their body, by not shoving strange pills down their throat without discussing the ingredients with their doctor or a health professional.

Also, if the heads of these companies would be found personally liable for knowingly putting unhealthy and/or doping ingredients in their products, this crap would stop, fast. Another example of an overblown nanny state. If their livelihoods were truly at stake (instead of hiding behind their bought gov't agencies), companies would have a huge incentive to keep crap like this off the market.

Strava
Last edited by: sch340: Feb 10, 16 7:50
Quote Reply
Re: FDA's list over tainted supplements, doping OTC [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:

Also, if the heads of these companies would be found personally liable for knowingly putting unhealthy and/or doping ingredients in their products, this crap would stop, fast. Another example of an overblown nanny state.

I just find it amusing that you think that the lack of protection from the judicial system is evidence of a nanny state. :)
Quote Reply
Re: FDA's list over tainted supplements, doping OTC [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
sch340 wrote:

Also, if the heads of these companies would be found personally liable for knowingly putting unhealthy and/or doping ingredients in their products, this crap would stop, fast. Another example of an overblown nanny state.

I just find it amusing that you think that the lack of protection from the judicial system is evidence of a nanny state. :)

It's not a contradiction. A strong judicial system that protects property rights (e.g. life) is not a nanny state. Draconian federal regulations are.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
trail wrote:
sch340 wrote:

It's not a contradiction. A strong judicial system that protects property rights (e.g. life) is not a nanny state. Draconian federal regulations are.

So the threat of personal liability to corporate officers will rein in the abuse in the supplement industry. Like the death penalty (or any criminal penalty) reins in criminal activity? I'm guessing someone harmed by tainted supplements will be as glad as a murder victim that the judicial system is there to hand out post-mortem justice.

The concept that accurately listing the contents of a product meant for human consumption is considered Draconian is quite humorous.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: FDA's list over tainted supplements, doping OTC [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nowhere did I say that listing the ingredients on a product was Draconian. Ingredients should be listed. I said that if a company puts in harmful ingredients that are not listed, then the company/officers should be found liable.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Halvard wrote:

I wish people would just take personal responsibility for what they put in their body, by not shoving strange pills down their throat without discussing the ingredients with their doctor or a health professional.

Well that's the point, isn't it.....no one knows what ingredients are in there because they don't have to list them. And even if they did, since it is not regulated by the FDA, no one knows if what they list is accurate.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: FDA's list over tainted supplements, doping OTC [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
please stop. you're clearly getting in the way of a well reasoned argument that this is Obama's fault.

Power13 wrote:
sch340 wrote:
Halvard wrote:

Well that's the point, isn't it.....no one knows what ingredients are in there because they don't have to list them. And even if they did, since it is not regulated by the FDA, no one knows if what they list is accurate.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:

Yes, well, I was implying that if the ingredients of a supplement are not listed, then anyone with half a brain should not ingest it. And any responsible health professional would advise you not to take said supplement. This is analogous to taking strange pills you buy off the street from a stranger. I wonder how many people that vocally distrust corporations still take unlabeled supplements.

And if the ingredients ARE listed, and they turn out to be mislabeled or harmful, then the proprietors should be held personally liable. Companies would have to still go through the rigorous testing that is required today to guarantee safety to defend themselves against litigation.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Power13 wrote:

Yes, well, I was implying that if the ingredients of a supplement are not listed, then anyone with half a brain should not ingest it. And any responsible health professional would advise you not to take said supplement. This is analogous to taking strange pills you buy off the street from a stranger. I wonder how many people that vocally distrust corporations still take unlabeled supplements.

And if the ingredients ARE listed, and they turn out to be mislabeled or harmful, then the proprietors should be held personally liable. Companies would have to still go through the rigorous testing that is required today to guarantee safety to defend themselves against litigation.

You keep missing the central point....Orrin Hatch has made it possible that supplements do not have to list ingredients, provide evidence products do what they claim to do, etc. So when you are hoisting the flag of "personal responsibility", how about we start with the companies that are making this stuff.

Or we could just provide reasonable regulation that requires ingredients to be listed....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll admit my expertise on supplements has fallen since I stopped bodybuilding. But I don't recognize most of these brands and most of these are fly by night sexual enhancement or weight loss products that make promises and don't deliver.

In sorry , but if you are using PHUK (on the list) for any reason, you deserve what you get.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:

You keep missing the central point....Orrin Hatch has made it possible that supplements do not have to list ingredients, provide evidence products do what they claim to do, etc. So when you are hoisting the flag of "personal responsibility", how about we start with the companies that are making this stuff.

Or we could just provide reasonable regulation that requires ingredients to be listed....

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree again...

You claim we should provide reasonable regulation. Who should do that? The government? The institution that Orrin Hatch is part of? How do you figure that will happen? You essentially just admitted that the government is the problem; that they are allowing companies to make supplements without listing the ingredients without any repercussions whatsoever because one man has a vested interest in the outcome. This is a very clear, real-life example of government interference in the markets that has the real potential to harm people and yet the companies that make this stuff have a free pass. And the more power government gets, the more abuse that will occur.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Halvard wrote:

Also, if the heads of these companies would be found personally liable for knowingly putting unhealthy and/or doping ingredients in their products, this crap would stop, fast. Another example of an overblown nanny state. If their livelihoods were truly at stake (instead of hiding behind their bought gov't agencies), companies would have a huge incentive to keep crap like this off the market.

This. Again, if you are dumb enough to take a pill called PHUK or MIraculous Evil Root (also on the list), no amount of regulation is going to save you from yourself.

There are laws against huffing paint, has, and sniffing glue and people still do it. In fact, I bet the idiots that did that in high school
Are now buying this crap.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: FDA's list over tainted supplements, doping OTC [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't confuse regulation with lack of judicial protection. In fact, regulation sometimes restricts judicial protections. If you take PHUK because they say it will give you a boner for 4 hours and it doesn't work , you can get you 2 dollars back. If it says it may give you a boner for 2 hours, well don't take anything that has the code word may in it. This isn't hard. If it kills you , you certainly have recourse. At least your family does. But again , if you are dumb enough to take A product called PHUK and die , well...

I've seen some of these are truck stops, and always wondered if it was part of a new world order plot to kill off the stupid.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
sch340 wrote:
Halvard wrote:

Then don't take it. Stick to FDA approved medications for common ailments. That is what I do. Even when I was big time into bodybuilding where bro science fuels the sport and you are saturated by claims of gains, I knew most of they was a waste. Some of this time , I didn't know what the internet was. Now anytime I read about some thing , I look it up. I also wouldn't buy from a fly by night organization.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Power13 wrote:

You claim we should provide reasonable regulation. Who should do that? The government? The institution that Orrin Hatch is part of? How do you figure that will happen? You essentially just admitted that the government is the problem; that they are allowing companies to make supplements without listing the ingredients without any repercussions whatsoever because one man has a vested interest in the outcome. This is a very clear, real-life example of government interference in the markets that has the real potential to harm people and yet the companies that make this stuff have a free pass. And the more power government gets, the more abuse that will occur.

Holy mental gymnastics, Batman....."government interference"?!?! There IS NO interference...these guys were given a free pass to do what they want.

There is already a federal agency equipped to deal with supplements...it is called the FDA. Put supplements under their jurisdiction, require ingredients to be listed and you have solved the vast majority of the issues.

Quote Reply
Re: FDA's list over tainted supplements, doping OTC [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Don't confuse regulation with lack of judicial protection.

I'm not, but thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Power13 wrote:

Hmmm...you have this backwards. Actually, you're even contradicting yourself. The Gov oversees very closely what goes in a drug that is FDA approved. It doesn't oversee what is in supplements. We see how well that free market of yours is working there. It's not only that the supplements are tainted, it's that they don't even contain what they say they do in the first place.

http://www.ag.ny.gov/...upplements-dna-tests
Quote Reply

Prev Next