Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
FAI hip labrum tear
Quote | Reply
Just diagnosed with a hip labrum tear and FAI. Any had surgery for this lately?
Quote Reply
Re: FAI hip labrum tear [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not personally but I have worked with several that have. PM me if you want some info and I can try to help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I had my surgery almost a year ago (July 1).

Only get surgery if you REALLY need it. There are ways to avoid surgery and those options should be explored for several months before you ever get surgery. It's a long slow process to get back from surgery. You cannot rush your recovery. You have to follow every doctor's order to the T or you'll end up with setbacks that could take months or years to recover from. The first 6 weeks are absolutely critical post surgery. You cannot push the limit. It will test your patience and sanity. It's an extremely frustrating process. You're in for a roller coaster of emotions. Not trying to scare you, but I'm just trying to educate you so you know what you are in for.

I did my first run around 4-5 months post surgery. It took about 7-8 months before I felt almost normal again. I still feel tightness in my hip every once in a while. I have my massage therapist work out those kinks when that happens and it really helps.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Jun 9, 16 3:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tore mine and decided against surgery and glad I did. It took me some time but after several months I finally went to active release and was able to start running again. That was about 7 years ago and other than some small loss in flexibility (which I haven't really done anything to prevent if I'm being completely honest), I feel as close to 100% as I could hope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same and had surgery about 7 years ago (I know, not that lately really). Obviously really consider the surgery before, it does take a long time to recover from completely and be sure that the labrum is what's causing the issues. From what I understand, sometimes it can be asymptomatic and the dye with the lidocaine injection is for a reason...to see if numbing the hip takes away the pain proving that the pain is from inside the joint itself.

However, for all the people saying they didn't have surgery and are mostly okay with small issues here and there, I had the surgery and am now completely 100% fine. No pain, no tightness, no weakness, nothing. The recovery took a while and was a struggle. But once I got back into shape, I'm very glad I did it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the surgery about 4 years ago following lengthy PT options, injections, etc...

Long road back, 3-4 months of PT post surgery, no running for 5-6 months (could bike easy and swim about 3-4 weeks post surgery). Did a sprint tri about 8 months out and realized that was not a good idea, went back to no running until 1 year post surgery.

Glad I had it done but need to be patient.....have same in right hip but doesn't bother me as much as left did so in no hurry to do it again!

If on east coast...contact Dr Wolff in DC.
Quote Reply
Re: FAI hip labrum tear [cpotter88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
18 weeks PO from FAI/labrum surgery with Dr. Phillipon. Rehab is going really well and I am happy with how things are progressing. I would highly recommend Dr. Phillipon and his team. We traveled to CO for surgery and it was well worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was diagnosed with the same torn labrum on my left hip, and FAI on both sides. I have been going back and forth about the surgery for nearly a year now. I did lots of PT with various folks trying to help things out, but I can't really tell if that helped or not. In the process I stopped biking & running completely for 6 months. The pain has really gone down to almost nothing now, and I've now been back on the bike for roughly 5 months now and it's great. Minor pain every now and then, and I feel like I sit a little crooked on the saddle, but I'm able to push hard 5 days a week or so on the bike. Still no running - but I'm happy to be moving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had surgery Apr 27th, so just at 6 weeks now post. Mark Muller at the Carrell Clinic in Dallas did mine.

I was on crutches with no weight on that leg for 3.5 weeks post surgery, then on one crutch about 50% weight bearing for an additional week, so all told 4.5 weeks on crutches.

At this point, I am swimming with a pull buoy, ellipticalling for 15 minutes a time, cycling on my trainer (up to 55 min now, working up a few min every other session) at about 60% of my FTP (but no hard intervals or anything), and doing my home PT exercises every night plus going to PT for an hour each twice a week.

I'm very pleased with my recovery & progress so far. I was in constant, terrible pain for 4 months prior to surgery and my quality of life was very low. Now I have no back pain and only minimal discomfort after PT or when I overdo it a bit. I'm on zero meds for it.

Key to my recovery was doing exactly what they said and nothing more. I didn't get off crutches early, I didn't try to do anything other than survive while on crutches, and I have been religious about my PT exercises and icing. When I started back on the bike, I was spinning at <40w for 10 min at a time and worked my way up from there. Like someone else said, the first 6 weeks are critical for recovery - don't try to do more than they tell you to.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info. I'm extremely happy with where I am now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Digging up this thread as I was just diagnosed with the same thing.

OP - did you end up having surgery?

To those who have had surgery - given the length of recovery, would you do it again if the pain was only intermittent and wasn't prohibiting you from participating in the activities you enjoy?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: FAI hip labrum tear [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While not the OP, I can attest to labrum tears and also bone impingements -- I have had both hips done. To address your last question first, if you can still do all the stuff you love, then enjoy it. But, as I will allude to in a second, if this is the best time of year to get it done, and your doc thinks it's a good idea, you might consider getting it preemptively done.

When my first hip 'went' running was done, it was over, there was no more. I couldn't run more than 3 steps without being in pain: hip was off, hammy was upset, glute was pissed, IT was enraged, quad was bitter, it was an ugly mess. Had surgery in April of 2015, and after a lot of rehab and a slow return to running, I did the Chicago Marathon, then the NYC Marathon, then the JFK 50, all within the following 7 months.

When my other hip started to go, it wasn't a total blow up, but I could feel that there was something wrong with it. So, knowing that something like 30% of people who have one hip done, end up having bilateral hip issues, I went to my doc and had an MRI with contrast done. This showed that there was a tear. My thinking was that it was early in the year (January) and if I did it soon - rather than waiting for it to just shut me down totally - I'd be in better shape going in and would thus expect an even quicker return to full speed. Also, as you no doubt know, winter is prime surgery weather. i had the surgery done in mid-February of 2016 and did my first half marathon 2.5 months later.

Rebab from these isn't complex, you will have your first rehab visit the next day following your surgery. What is vital is to find a place that understands your mindset and goals. I believe that I had a great doctor doing the cutting and a great rehab place where I have goen for all my issues. Both of them understood my goals, and my thinking - logical or not. I'd also suggest - when you're ready - that you find an AlterG and use that to help you build back running strength. I did that for both hips (and a knee and a new tendon) and couldn't have been happier with the results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just had my hip done in June and the recovery has gone great. As an earlier poster said, you MUST follow the rehab protocol or you might as well not bothered with the surgery. I did not have any set backs during rehab but I understand that is pretty uncommon.

Here are my tips
- This is a complicated surgery so find the best, most experienced surgeon you can (if near CT, none better than Dr Michael Joyce)
- Find a physical therapist that has a lot of experience in this particular rehab.
- Follow directions, even if it feels unnecessary. I felt great just a few days after surgery but the Dr and therapist demanded I used my crutches for 4 weeks. It wasn't that I needed the crutches but it was more to slow me down.
- I have a desk job so it was critical to not sit for too long. I worked standing up as much as possible and did my exercises and stretches in the middle of the day. The hip tightening up is a big risk

I had my torn labrum for over two years before I finally got it fixed and really wished I did not wait so long. This is not something that heals on its on so if you had an MRI with contrast die and have been diagnosed by a very experiences Dr, then I would think long and hard about getting the surgery done.

Hope this helps but PM me with any questions
Quote Reply
Re: FAI hip labrum tear [Stone73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had my left hip done in 2011- the change was huge for me.
I echo this- find the best surgeon in your area and follow rehab protocol exactly as specified.
This is not a surgery for swiss army knife type surgeons, and not the the of surgery where you want to decide your own rehab plan.
I am in SF Bay area and went to Dr. Thomas Sampson- I ugly recommend him. I have had multiple friends use him, some of them had both hips done at once.
Quote Reply
Re: FAI hip labrum tear [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Since I first posted this I have gone through some Aggressive physical therapy And it seems to be helping. I know it's not a true fixAnd more of a Band-Aid But I'm in no rush to Go under the knife again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go for my surgery in three weeks. One thing I have been trying to find, is there anything that can be done to help the recovery process prior to surgery? Would stretching, lifting, or anything else help post op?
Quote Reply
Re: FAI hip labrum tear [I ride Fuji's] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would call your surgeons office and ask for recommendations of what you should be doing prior to surgery. Do you have a PT that has worked with hip labral repairs? If not get the best PT that you can find ASAP. Have you talked to your surgeon about what your recovery process might look like and timelines? If you have a microfracture or FAI or bursa removed it may add more time.
I was on crutches and in a CPM machine (8 hours a day) for over 3 months. The first month I was unable to bend at 90 degrees which made a lot of things (putting on my own pants, shoes etc,) impossible.
Prior to surgery I would recommend getting your house set up for the first few weeks/months following surgery. I would also recommend getting a pair of Mobi Leg crutches which can be ordered from Amazon if your surgeon doesn't give them to you. Make sure your arms are strong as you will be using them alot to lift yourself. Same goes for balancing and squatting on your non surgical leg. Get your handicap parking pass before your surgery.
Dr. Phillipon did my surgery on 2/4/16. I was very OCD and patient with following my surgeons protocol and physical therapy. Today I ran my longest run post op- 5 miles. :)
My biggest advice is to be very patient as it will pay off long term. Good Luck!
Last edited by: milesaway: Dec 7, 16 18:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You probably already know this, but in case you don't, look into stem cell therapy. One of my assistant coaches had this done in late September and is just about back to normal. I personally can't attest to it but it was more successful for her than the surgery was for one of my runners.

steven
Quote Reply
Re: FAI hip labrum tear [mfisch69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you or somebody with experience with this please provide a summaryof symptoms and how they involve. I maybe having the issues along those lines, trying to decide if I really need to see somebody or not. Thanks
Forgive my ignorrance, what is the FAI acronym?
Quote Reply
Re: FAI hip labrum tear [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my symptoms were only tightness in the quad. But I may have had the tear for much longer than I realized. I had no labrum left, so needed a labral replacement. If I had waited much longer, I would have needed a hip replacement. FAI is femoractebral impingement. in my case, my femoral head was shaped more like a square than a sphere.
Quote Reply
Re: FAI hip labrum tear [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had surgery over two years ago and it was the best thing I ever did.

One thing I would recommend is if you decide to get surgery find the best doctor you can it will make a huge difference.

If you are in the Boston area I can recommend my doctor.

Good Luck

Rick
Quote Reply
Re: FAI hip labrum tear [goumass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds like most get good results with this surgery.
Quote Reply
Re: FAI hip labrum tear [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
sounds like most get good results with this surgery.

I opted for now not to have it. I am going to wait it out. It is not a straight forward surgery. Arthroscopic surgery from which takes average 6-8 months to recover. I would not call that straight forward. If not done correctly, you will be back for hip replacement. I am also not in rush to jump back and train. So you have to use your judgement. Strictly individual thing, symptoms, how much chondral damage......putting off certainly has it's risk. Not ready yet to allow just anybody swinging 5.5mm burr through my hip joint. I would let them jack with soft tissue all day long, soft tissue heels.
Quote Reply
Re: FAI hip labrum tear [goumass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mind sharing your symptoms?
Quote Reply
Re: FAI hip labrum tear [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you have done enough googling on this surgery. You need to google some people's blogs and their experiences with the surgery. I read a lot of them before my surgery and it scared the crap out of me. There are some horror stories from this surgery.

This is not a routine procedure and if not done correctly, your life could be affected in a negative way for the rest of your life. And if you are not diligent with your rehab or try to push it too early too fast, you will regret it.

I was fortunate to have a successful surgery almost 2 years ago. But there was a lot of frustration along the way. All I'm saying is, this is no cake walk.

blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next