Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Extracting Rounded Crank Bolt
Quote | Reply
A friend was attempting to remove the cranks on my KM40 and succeeded in completely rounding out the drive-side crank bolt. It's an Ultegra bottom bracket so there is no removing it unless I can get the cranks off. Any ideas on how to extract the bolt would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Extracting Rounded Crank Bolt [rjmzcr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i do much of my own maintenance too, but in a situation like this you have to admit when you're in over your head before you do any more damage (i've been there before too). take the bike to a good shop that you trust, tell them what a dumb-ass you are and ask them very nicely if they can clean up the mess you have made.

- The Who
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Center punch in the center of the bolt head get a drill slightly larger than your crank bolt then very carefuly drill till the bolt head comes of,the pressure is now off the threaded part of the bolt and you should be able to unthread it,then you can pull the crank,hop this helps. Randall
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess the obvious answer would be screw extractors. Most likely your crank bolts are in pretty tight and good chance corroded in from rain etc, and that is why the head rounded out in the first place. It would probably be a good idea to try a pipe extractor. This is the same principle as the regular screw extractors, but the tool is square. I would recommend that you spray WD-40 or Kroil on the bolts and let them sit for 12 hours, and then repeat several times. Then use a dead low hammer to drive the extractor into the bolt head as far as possible. At this point use a socket and as long of a pull handle as you can get to try to loosen the bolt. I would agree with the last reply that it would probably be a good idea to let professionals attempt this, especially since it is a carbon frame you are dealing with. If they are still unable to remove the bolt, someone will have to devise a good jig to hold the bicycle, and then you will have to center punch the bolts and then drill the bolts out on a drill press. I would not attempt to do this with a hand drill. Good luck.

Tim Anderson
"It's the nature of the internets that you get some dweeb who knows nothing about (insert topic here) pontificates about (topic), believing that his/her opinion is worth the same as opinions from those who actually knows what's going on." --Echappist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use a sharp punch on the edge of the bolt. Tap it with a hammer to spin it off. It will take some time but it will work.

Make sure that it isn't a left handed thread. I think the drive sides are standard right handed threads though.

I've used the bike shop idea before. Those guys do that stuff every day.

Good luck

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One way I have gotten rounded bolts out is to cut a slot in the bolt head with a Dremel Moto-Tool and a carbon cutting wheel. Then, you can get a screwdriver into the slot and get the bolt out. If WD-40 doesn't help break the seat loose, some heat might do the trick IF you can shield your frame so you can apply it without burning your frame. But, as others have said, if it was me, I would swallow my pride and go to the best bike mechanic in the area. They have heard the "friend/buddy did it" story before, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First try using Break-Free sprayed directly on the bolt (you'll need to turn the frame on its side for maximum fluid penetration). Let it soak in for hours and do this several times. This will often soften the gunk in the threads enough to break the bolt loose. Before trying to unscrew the bolt, tap on it with a hammer (You can tap the bolt between soakings too). Use a long piece of thick steel or a wooden dowel against the bolt so you don't hit and crack the carbon aroung the BB. Be careful. How long had the crankset been installed? Was grease used? Just curious...
Quote Reply