Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Explain to me the concept of a run pacer....
Quote | Reply
...and why its considered outside assistance, or cheating in a race.

As I understand it, you have someone (who is also in the race?) Run beside you and pace you? How is that of any benefit?

Or is the pacer someone who is not in the race, jumps on to the course and then paces the racing athlete? I can see how this would be discouraged, but don't really see how this would make anyone finish faster.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Explain to me the concept of a run pacer.... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been an official pacer for a few marathons. Having a pacer makes it way easier for the athlete. It's a benefit because it's a lot easier to not have to worry about what pace you're running and having worrying about your pace going up and down. Many people naturally go up and down in pace, which burns up a lot of extra energy, and running with a good pacer means you're running at a steady pace. And it's just mentally a whole lot easier to follow along at say a 10 minute/mile pace at an Ironman, for example, when all you need to do is stay with that person next to you, who is also often encouraging you as well.

Also, think of running with a buddy versus running by yourself- that 9 minute (or whatever) pace feels way easier when running with someone else as opposed to running it by yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently did a small, local open-course marathon where pacers were both allowed and encouraged.

Holy crap, does it make hitting the wall a lot easier. I basically zoned out after mile 22 and blindly followed my pacer. I wanted to stop and walk, but with someone right there for the sole purpose of helping me to my goal, I didn't. I'm pretty sure I didn't have the mental strength to push through solo.

Outside pacer on close courses are banditing the race, unless they are registered, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's someone who is not in the race.

Think about the concept of home field advantage in team sports (a "cheering section" dedicated to you) Or car racing where the pit crew is in constant radio communication with the driver telling him or her everything that is going on around them and offers advice on how to alter behavior accordingly. Personal training session where the trainer is giving you continual advice on form (only in this case it wouldn't just be form, but nutrition, pacing etc.) If a dedicated ally is running at the pace you want/need to be at, it's a lot easier to just follow their lead and not have to think about it. Not all outside assistance is that elaborate, but the principle is the same - help you do better than you'd otherwise do on your own - two heads are better than one, words can motivate etc. And it has a few problems - if everyone does it, you double the number of runners crowding the course and consuming resources. If some people do it and others can't afford to or don't have the same skillset in their companions, it detracts from the individual nature of the sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I can see how this would be discouraged, but don't really see how this would make anyone finish faster.

Pacers have been know to help with nutritional hand ups both in terms of handing gels, water etc. over as well as reminding athletes of timing the consumption of said products. Their "unfried brains" can provide much more rational advice than an athlete might need many hours into a long hard day.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if it's somebody in the race then it would be allowed (I might be wrong on that). But would effectively require somebody who was prepared to sacrifice their own race to help you, so relatively unlikely and certainly for the top men pretty much impossible. Would be more plausible for an AGer or even for a fast woman (there is a female pro who used to get accused of drafting her husband on the bike though can't remember her name right now), so long as the pacer was equal or stronger on the bike to enable them to link up on the ride and start the run together.

The advantage is simply of having somebody to follow at a steady pace without thinking about it. If it's somebody who knows you well enough they can be a big motivation as well. I have to admit that in my first IM I didn't really know all the rules, hadn't raced that many tris at that point, I knew about not drafting and no headphones but wasn't aware of the no pacing thing. A couple of my friends who lived near the course came out on mountain bikes to follow me and cycled alongside me for a couple of miles on the second half of the marathon (there were virtually no spectators) until a marshall told them not to or I'd be penalised. With hindsight it made quite a big difference, though obviously I felt bad once I read up on the rules.
Quote Reply
Re: Explain to me the concept of a run pacer.... [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think of it more benefiting from the group run mentality. The pacer knows the pace and goals and will push you through stretches of periods where you individually might slow down or stop. Mentally staying with someone can be a lot easier than running alone.

The few half marathons or 10k's I've ran with a pacer have been much easier to maintain a steady pace as well as push through the times when I wanted to slow down or pull back. If a racer knows a specific time they need to obtain a goal I would imagine it would be somewhat easier to do so with a pacer whose main purpose it to help achieve a time goal.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been a pacer and been paced in trail running and the Celtman where it is allowed. It's a lot easier to just follow a person who has a clear mind, can run at a consistent pace, can encourage you, pass on and think about nutrition, encourage you, distract you if needed etc. When you are a pacer, you are thinking about a bunch of things to make sure your racer is pushed but not too much, eats and drink regularly. You become very aware how slow they are physically, but also intellectually and emotionally. It's surprisingly demanding and fun at the same time.
In Roth a 3 weeks ago I had a bad patch at the beginning of the run, and latched onto a woman who was running at the pace I knew I was able to run, but somehow my brain disagreed. Just following the step by step this woman was a huge help, and it gave me back a rhythm and a sustainable pace. She eventually slowed down and I encouraged her to reverse the situation and keep up with me. Unfortunately she couldn't or did not manage to use me as I had used her.
I think one of the reason it is not allowed in races is because of congestion. Potentially you double up the number of people on the course. It's also not anymore a solo timetrial race.

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Re: Explain to me the concept of a run pacer.... [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I can see how this would be discouraged, but don't really see how this would make anyone finish faster.

Pacers have been know to help with nutritional hand ups both in terms of handing gels, water etc. over as well as reminding athletes of timing the consumption of said products. Their "unfried brains" can provide much more rational advice than an athlete might need many hours into a long hard day.

Hugh

Pacers also help with drafting on the run. I is a material benefit versus drafting another competitor who is trying to drop you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think some clarification is in order.

I see three main applications of the term "pacer" for most age group athletes.

1. In open marathon running, events often provide experienced racers to lead informal groups to a certain finish time. This person has a set pace to meet (i.e. 8min/mile to finish in 3:30) and people follow them for the ability to hold a steady pace and gain group and individual motivation. These pacers are entered in the race, but typically run at a pace 15-20 minutes slower or more than their own racing abilities. They also provide a bechmark for those in the race. The pacer often carries a sign or wears a unique bib with his or her projected finish time on it. This often results in those hitting the wall seeing the pacer run by and thinking "oh SH!T, there goes my BQ"

2. In ultra-running events, mainly 100 mile trail races, most races allow a competitor 1 "pacer" at a time after a certain point, usually around the halfway mark of the race. As others have said, this person provides encouragement to the runner, navigation help as it is often in the dark, help with remembering nutrition (carrying water and food for the runner is usually forbidden), and also provides a safety net by keeping watch over the the runner and making sure they are never alone on the course in a vulnerable state. These pacers aren't entered in race, but are allowed under the rules.

3. "Pacing" a runner from the crowd is the case where a spectator (friend, family member, coach, etc) locates the person along the course and begins to run with the competitor. This non-entrant in the race is providing a form of outside assistance to the competitor which is not permitted under typical road racing and triathlon rules.
Quote Reply
Re: Explain to me the concept of a run pacer.... [jpbari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpbari wrote:
I think some clarification is in order.

I see three main applications of the term "pacer" for most age group athletes.

1. In open marathon running, events often provide experienced racers to lead informal groups to a certain finish time. This person has a set pace to meet (i.e. 8min/mile to finish in 3:30) and people follow them for the ability to hold a steady pace and gain group and individual motivation. These pacers are entered in the race, but typically run at a pace 15-20 minutes slower or more than their own racing abilities. They also provide a bechmark for those in the race. The pacer often carries a sign or wears a unique bib with his or her projected finish time on it. This often results in those hitting the wall seeing the pacer run by and thinking "oh SH!T, there goes my BQ"

This is what I consider a pacer to be. For example, in big races (e.g. NYC Marathon, NYC/Brookyln Half) NYRR will recruit 1 or 2 pacers for every 5 minute interval from 2:15 down to 1:25 or 1:20 (for the 1/2). I think they get to race for free and/or other benefits. It only adds 10-15 people to a race of thousands. Typically though there are dozens of people following the pacer, though, so there tends to be a bottleneck that forms.

Non-participants are not allowed to pace in most races, but I don't see why I couldn't "hire" a faster racer to pace me to a PR by having that person legally enter the race, also. Plus of course the massive draft advantage.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would not be allowed by someone in the race either. For example, husband and wife sign up for the sole purpose of husband pacing the wife on the bike and/or run. Its actually easier to cheat if both are signed up for the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Explain to me the concept of a run pacer.... [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arby wrote:
It would not be allowed by someone in the race either. For example, husband and wife sign up for the sole purpose of husband pacing the wife on the bike and/or run. Its actually easier to cheat if both are signed up for the race.

I am pretty sure there is absolutely no rule against two race participants running with each other the whole way.
Quote Reply
Re: Explain to me the concept of a run pacer.... [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have links/documentation of a specific rule to back this up? It's against the rule to draft on the bike. It's not against the rule for one athlete to pace another on the bike, if they remain at legal distance and pass one another within the time limit. It's not against the rules for 2 athletes to pace one another on the run.

arby wrote:

Quote | Reply
You may be correct about that.
Quote Reply
Re: Explain to me the concept of a run pacer.... [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
You have links/documentation of a specific rule to back this up? It's against the rule to draft on the bike. It's not against the rule for one athlete to pace another on the bike, if they remain at legal distance and pass one another within the time limit. It's not against the rules for 2 athletes to pace one another on the run.

arby wrote:

The pros do it all the time on the bike. Essentially forming a legal-distance paceline and they all talk about how they work together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even without a run pacer, I'll still be bringing home the beer on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: Explain to me the concept of a run pacer.... [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure there is absolutely no rule against two race participants running with each other the whole way. //

Unless you are pros of opposite sex. This was a problem awhile back with some married couples and siblings. Male would drop back to pace the female, giving up on his race to solely support her. Pretty sure there is a rule against that, and some even got busted. Lots of threads here in the archives about who and what races it happened at if you care to take a look. Even some front page articles on the subject, one race where I was the on site guy watching this exact thing unfold..
Quote Reply
Re: Explain to me the concept of a run pacer.... [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:

arby wrote:

I'm surprised it took this long to be quoted. The rule is pretty simple, you can go the same speed as another competitor but you can get in trouble if someone is acting directly on your behalf.

d. Unauthorized Assistance. No participant shall accept from any person (other than a race official) physical assistance in any form, including food, drink, equipment, support, pacing, a replacement bicycle or bicycle parts, unless an express exception has been granted and approved, in writing, by USA Triathlon. The receipt of information regarding the progress, split times, or location of other competitors on the race course shall not be considered the acceptance of unauthorized assistance. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.
Quote Reply
Re: Explain to me the concept of a run pacer.... [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Even without a run pacer, I'll still be bringing home the beer on Sunday.

LOL! We shall see about that!!

I was actually diddling around with a pace calculator this morning. I'm not sure what your swimming and running is like right now, I think if I can limit the bike damage to around a 6kph differential... and have a decent run, I might, MIGHT catch you. Probably not, but watch for me at the run turn around, because I'll be giving it my best shot!

Either way, I'm sure we'll run in to each other in the med tent afterwards!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Explain to me the concept of a run pacer.... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True. One race I guy was trying to get his significant other to run a PR by yelling at her not to slow down. We were running into a pretty strong head wind and she was pretty small. I thought if he was a little closer and slightly in front of her his yelling would be more beneficial.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, first you need a guy in a gorilla suit.

Wearing Newtons.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Explain to me the concept of a run pacer.... [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chris948 wrote:
zoom wrote:

arby wrote:

I'm surprised it took this long to be quoted. The rule is pretty simple, you can go the same speed as another competitor but you can get in trouble if someone is acting directly on your behalf.

d. Unauthorized Assistance. No participant shall accept from any person (other than a race official) physical assistance in any form, including food, drink, equipment, support, pacing, a replacement bicycle or bicycle parts, unless an express exception has been granted and approved, in writing, by USA Triathlon. The receipt of information regarding the progress, split times, or location of other competitors on the race course shall not be considered the acceptance of unauthorized assistance. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.

I think it's a rule which is generally ignored unless it's a blatant case of somebody sacrificing their race for someone else AND that the person being helped is a pro or at least in contention for a podium. Certainly didn't get applied when Chrissie Wellington was given a CO2 cartridge by Rebekah Keat when she was stranded with a puncture at Kona, if anything it was lauded as an act of good sportsmanship. And can't imagine it would get applied for, say, a husband running round with his wife in her first IM or similar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of like public urination?
*pink*
Last edited by: arby: Aug 4, 15 5:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:

I think it's a rule which is generally ignored unless it's a blatant case of somebody sacrificing their race for someone else AND that the person being helped is a pro or at least in contention for a podium. Certainly didn't get applied when Chrissie Wellington was given a CO2 cartridge by Rebekah Keat when she was stranded with a puncture at Kona, if anything it was lauded as an act of good sportsmanship. And can't imagine it would get applied for, say, a husband running round with his wife in her first IM or similar.

That's why I said "can" not "will"

Honestly if people don't get 'message board warrior' on it, it's not that difficult. If Chrissie had someone following her around with spare co2 for 112 miles, that's a bit different than a competitor who throws a spare out without even stopping. Discretion isn't that difficult. I don't think IM is outlawing friendship or spouses running together.

The difference between discussing pacing in regards to a marathon vs. triathlon is just the spirit of a triathlon is to be a solo event.
Last edited by: chris948: Aug 4, 15 5:15
Quote Reply