Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Explain "Masters" to me
Quote | Reply
In a race last weekend they had regular age groups (35-39, 40-44, 45-49, etc), but also a "Masters" category.

I don't remember signing up for Masters (I'm in 40-44), but that's where my results are posted. Does anyone know what constitutes this division?

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Explain "Masters" to me [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually it's 40+... If you were listed as masters and not in 40-44 it would make me think you came in the top 3 of 40+ people.

IMO it's OA-->Master's OA--->Age group awards
Last edited by: Gtjojo189: May 8, 17 10:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every race is different. I don't think there is any standard. I've been in races where 40 is the delimiter and others where 50 is the delimiter.

I do a local 5K that places me in the "Veteran" category even though I am in the M50-54 age group had have never served in the military.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have mentioned fairly standard for the 40+ crowd at triathlons.

I learned the hard way about a month though that apparently the cutoff is 50+ in trail running. I placed 11th or 12th overall but the first 40+ (I'm 46). I thought surely I'd get the Master's overall win until the RD explained it was for 50+ runners. Oh well...
Quote Reply
Re: Explain "Masters" to me [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gtjojo189 wrote:
Usually it's 40+... If you were listed as masters and not in 40-44 it would make me think you came in the top 3 of 40+ people.

That is how it is at a lot of races here. Last year I won my age group at a small ten K because the guy who really won got the Masters award. A long time since I "won" anything.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just think of it as an additional age group. Most often the top 3 in the 40+(and or 50+/60+) will get separate awards and be pulled from the AG awards. I have seen however where these added categories get to double dip, taking both masters and AG awards.

Really doesn't matter except to people that like more awards that they possibly did not earn by times sake alone. Kind of like the old Athena and Clydesdale divisions.
Quote Reply
Re: Explain "Masters" to me [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Just think of it as an additional age group. Most often the top 3 in the 40+(and or 50+/60+) will get separate awards and be pulled from the AG awards. I have seen however where these added categories get to double dip, taking both masters and AG awards.

Really doesn't matter except to people that like more awards that they possibly did not earn by times sake alone. Kind of like the old Athena and Clydesdale divisions.
Hey Monty:
I resemble that remark. It was kind of nice to win an award in a division where we didn't have to race against tiny ex pro women who'd already won IM races, placed top 10 in Kona, qualified for the Olympic marathon trials, or some combo of the above.
Seeing those divisions listed on a race entry and/or hearing about it from other athletes might be the last little push that someone needs to give tri a try.
Just sayin'.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Makes sense now. Thanks.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Explain "Masters" to me [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Karen,

I too have been the recipient of an extra category thrown in there over the years, not saying it is a bad thing. I just never let those awards cloud what I really ran that day. I remember winning the masters once, but would not have won the actual age group(you had to declare before the race in one division). Bittersweet I guess, but I have no issues with more awards to prime the entry pumps... (-;

Now finisher medals, thats another story...(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ranges vary... Technically in cycling, at the UCI license level, 30+ is Master's (they do ten year cats, A, B, C, D, E)... running typically it's 40+, but there's no universal definition of master's, so you just have to read the fine print about the categories when signing up for an event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gtjojo189 wrote:

This is the way it is in my races.

First triathlon "podium" for the wifey she placed 1st in 40-44 and was pumped. However, she was awarded 2nd Masters and was pissed. Took the rest of the weekend to convince her being the 2nd best out of all people 40+ was somehow better than being the 1st best out of just 40-44. I'm still not sure she agrees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our local races always have AG awards, then Masters 40-49, Grand masters 50-59 and Senior Grand masters 60+, you can not double dip in awards so you either place in your 5 year span AG or 1st through 3rd in 10 year category. Or of course you can place first overall. Then no place for you in AG or masters category.
Quote Reply