Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Exercise Induced Asthma and Hard Efforts
Quote | Reply
I know that there are many athletes who deal with asthma, some at the highest level. I also know that there are many different levels of asthma and different triggers.

Mine started roughly about 2 years ago (I'm 59 now) and my Doctor, a former National Level Cyclist in Canada says that adult onset asthma like mine is real difficult to manage.

I am on three medications at the moment.

Symbicort 2 puffs twice a day,
Spiriva 2 puffs once a day
Oxeze is both my pre-workout inhaler as well as rescue inhaler.

So, things are better than before I started these medications but I still have issues with intense work.

For example, last night I recruited two friends to help me go after my personal best up Cypress Mountain in Vancouver, 10.5K at 6% average.
At the 5K mark (this is 3K of climbing) I had to stop and had very strong breathing spasms. This is what happens with me, when I get into the high ranges of effort, my breathing gets rapid, oxygen to muscles starts to diminish and effort is even greater and when I stop, spasms. (I did finish the climb, albeit at a much lower effort)

Often when I ride with my club, I will go very hard up the first hill, 1.5K which brings spasms but since they wait at the top, allows me to mostly recover and then I'm usually ok for the rest of the ride, though it's mostly flat from there. I've read about others doing this as it helps to open the lungs, but it's a painful way to do it.

On that hill climb yesterday, we had about 1 hour of warm up, with some hills that we pushed on a bit, so I thought I could be ok.

Anyone else deal with this sort of issue? I know I need to manage my breathing better, but could use any tips or advice people can offer.

Thanks

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise Induced Asthma and Hard Efforts [cervelo-van] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had asthma & lung issues and found a few things that help. Keeping overall inflammation down is key, & I get flare ups with sugars/carbs easily. And stress. When I increase volume & intensity is when asthma flares up, but ironically I am increasing carbs at the same time. I really focus on recovery and lowering inflammation. I found Optygen to be very help for this in heavy training. Food elimination and challenge test to weed out foods that I've been reactive to. This has been an evolving thing, and I am still tweaking it, but completely worth it. Improve digestion.... even when I didn't think I had an issue. I've taken probiotics over the years but never had the same response until I starting drinking kombucha (no sugars added). HELLO! Wow, and I've dropped a few pounds too without effort. Also, I use the asthma medication lightly as needed. New research shows that using the cortisone inhalers "as needed" but not in an acute scenario is OK and effective. Many docs don't like this, but I have found a rebound thing that happens with too many meds. My asthma historically worsened, significantly. It was a leading cause of what I called a physiological meltdown along with Ironman training/racing, in full disclosure. I also am a Yoga teacher, practice pranayama, & meditation, all great in helping with breath and relaxation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I developed EIA probably due to owning cats a few years ago.
Proper course of action would be to toss the cat but that wasn't really an option.

Flovent once a day pretty much cure me luckily.

Really you should chat with your doc, if he knows you are not currently well controlled, he will likely want to change things.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise Induced Asthma and Hard Efforts [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah...I agree with the pets, and all potential allergens. I did not boot my pets out though, but did go to all natural detergents, cleaning products, personal care items etc. all fragrance & chemical free. I find when I pass people on the trails etc. and I can smell their detergents, perfumes etc, I do get wheezy.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise Induced Asthma and Hard Efforts [LoriT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, is your asthma exercise induced or triggered by allergens etc? One of the people I rode with yesterday also has asthma but his are allergen related, so he had no issues.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both. Sometimes the "exercise" is waking up...or intervals. I think there is a correlation to cortisol for one, but also just "reactive" such as cold air, or cutting jalapeños. And perfumes.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise Induced Asthma and Hard Efforts [LoriT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, when it's cold and wet out there, I know I'm in for some issues, but also when it's very humid.

Strava needs a "asthma sufferers" category ;-)

Quote Reply