Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Everyone needs a laugh.....so please critique my swim!!
Quote | Reply
yeesh....worse than I thought (both the video and my stroke!! Wink) Hopefully the video is of some value.....

Couple of obvious points....I am not extending my arms enough and my right arm is crossing over (very obvious in the second half of the video) I pretty knew my right arm was doing that, but I need to make a more conscious effort to keep it out wider. My catch and pull look pretty pathetic in this video, but I have felt like I have been making progress in this area.....maybe not.

Side note - this particular 50 was a build, hence the "increase" in tempo / stroke rate throughout the video (I hesitate to call it an increase in "speed"....LOL!!!)

OK, have at it.....

http://s36.photobucket.com/...zps4d14b5b8.mp4.html

Funny side story to go along with the video....later in the workout I did a 300m swim for time. Last year when I was doing the FF program as part of the first Guppy challenge, I swam 300m in 5:36 or so. Got done with the 300 for the test yesterday and popped up at 5:00 flat. I was pretty happy. Still not fast, but a pretty big improvement, right?

Yeah, not so much.....this is the pool that just opened at Amphibian MultiSport in my town. As I was changing, a thought occurred to me. Yup....it is a 25 YARD pool, not 25m as my last test had been. So my time was pretty much the same.....oh well.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Everyone needs a laugh.....so please critique my swim!! [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nuthin'? Over 100 people looked at that gawd-awful stroke and had no comment?

Or is it just so bad that it is beyond hope?

(hmmm....maybe that shouldn't be in pink)

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Everyone needs a laugh.....so please critique my swim!! [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's that the camera is jittery and bouncing all over the place. The other thing is it takes a long time to load. I gave it :05 and it barely started loading. By the time you were down to the other end I gave up on it.

Pro Tip of the Day:
The best thing to do would be get a gopro or some other underwater camera. Get side shots, a shot from the front and back. Then repost all 4. That might yield you some good feedback.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Everyone needs a laugh.....so please critique my swim!! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, sorry about the camera work. I blame the guy on the deck!! Wink

Mrs. P13 got me a GoPro for Xmas, but it was one of the lower-tier model and I haven't yet gotten a replacement one for it. I'll have to move that up the purchase priority list.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it looks to me like you have pretty limited shoulder/spinal flexibility. the reach and finish are both pretty short. i think it's worthwhile to work on things like learning the other strokes, improving walls, dolphin kicking as all of these things really require/build swim-specific flexibility and strength and overall feel for the water.

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll let the fish chime in here for the improvements - but I did note that you're swimming a lot faster than your previously staetd 300yd / 5minute (1:40/100yd) pace in this video - is this an all-out sprint for you?

I might be doing my math wrong, but judginf from the last 25 (<20sec I think?), if you kept that up for 100, you'd be around 1:2x pace, which is substantially faster than your 300pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your swimming there?!

Thought this was an instructional video on how to recognize when a victim is drowning!! (Now I got that out of the way)

A critique here aint gonna help that stroke, get lessons at a local YMCA or something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are 2 things that come more naturally in some than others:

1) A natural fast tempo (stroke rate)
2) A natural float in the water.

Most have neither, a few have both, a few have one or the other. You at least have nice tempo (which is probably the more desirable of the two if you only have one).

That said: Bilateral breathing should never be done. BUT you need to iron out the lopsided stroke, so go ahead and breath bilateral every other lap for the next several months. And swim a lot. There is hope for you. You could be under 4:15 in a 300 yard time trial in 2-6 months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your lack of shoulder flexibility has you swinging your arms out and over instead of you slicing through the water. Back up against a wall and put your butt and head against the wall. Now put your arms up so they are pointing straight up to the ceiling. Now overlap your hands so they are covering each other and still pointing straight up. With your arms and hands still pointing up and hands overlapped, completely lock your elbows so your arms are pressing tight against your ears/head. Make sure most of your back is still staying flat against the wall. Your arms need to be able to do that with nearly no effort. Until then, you'll be roundhouse windmilling like that video.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no fish but you guilted me into replying.

You're thrashing like the front row of a Slipknot concert.

Some STer has a sig line that says

Slow is smooth
Smooth is fast

I would start there, as I imagined swimming downhill. Theough a tube just bigger than my shoulders.

You have a lot of movement that is causing drag rather than lift. If I knew more about swimming I could tell you where to start.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looked like to me you had to much shoulder movement. Also looke like you just learned to put your head under water while swimming and wanted to lift it up to see where you were going. I would say slow down get more comfortable with a smoother stroke and breathing with your head in the water

Quote | Reply
Ok, first off other than being a little bit too much in the air, you've got a pretty decent kick. It's from the hips, feet are pointed pretty decently. It's a little stiff and doesn't flow completely naturally yet, but it's much better than some I've seen. I think it is helping to keep you high in the water.

The arms remind me of one of those old toys that you wind up in the tub, and then they just rotate a paddle around in a circle. Your lack of shoulder flexibility is causing you to kind of throw your shoulders/upper body side to side to try and get some extension, which causes a bit of a snake in the water. Compounding that, once your hands are in the water they pull kind of straight back, but in an outward fashion like a kayak paddle. (As a matter of fact, your entire stroke looks like a human kayak paddle). Your right hand kind of throws across a bit (and enters short), then loops ahead and back out to the side.

You can work on the flexibility, and even with the limited flexibility if you can get an arm bend/catch going it will help a lot. (And 1:40/100 for a 300 is not that bad, unless you're puking in the gutter exhausted afterwards).

Actually, I'm more amazed the guy with the camera was able to get that far above you without falling in himself while walking the edge...

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Last edited by: Devlin: Apr 23, 14 14:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommend the finger tip drag drill to help bring your arms in more in line with your core. Most of swimming is about a strong core. What you do is when your arms are leaving the water to come up for the next pull, drag for finger tips along the top of the water. Pretty simple, but will help you bring your arms in closer to your body and over time will make your stroke more efficient. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Everyone needs a laugh.....so please critique my swim!! [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I'll let the fish chime in here for the improvements - but I did note that you're swimming a lot faster than your previously staetd 300yd / 5minute (1:40/100yd) pace in this video - is this an all-out sprint for you?

I might be doing my math wrong, but judginf from the last 25 (<20sec I think?), if you kept that up for 100, you'd be around 1:2x pace, which is substantially faster than your 300pace.

The 50 was a build, so it was close to all-out by the last 15-20 yds.

Thanks for all the tips. Agreed on the shoulder flexibility (had actually meant to include that in y original post). I was really shocked by how stiff they looked in the video.

Besides the wall stretch noted above, any other stretches I could do to improve flexibility here?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giantxlab wrote:
I would recommend the finger tip drag drill to help bring your arms in more in line with your core. Most of swimming is about a strong core. What you do is when your arms are leaving the water to come up for the next pull, drag for finger tips along the top of the water. Pretty simple, but will help you bring your arms in closer to your body and over time will make your stroke more efficient. Hope this helps.

Second the finger tip drag with catch-up drill. Your shoulders need to pivot around you head (keeping head straight) with each stroke. The catch-up and finger drag will help with elevating your elbows on returning arm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
lightheir wrote:

The 50 was a build, so it was close to all-out by the last 15-20 yds.

Thanks for all the tips. Agreed on the shoulder flexibility (had actually meant to include that in y original post). I was really shocked by how stiff they looked in the video.

Besides the wall stretch noted above, any other stretches I could do to improve flexibility here?

http://www.usmsswimmer.com/...immer_stretching.pdf

And don't worry too much about the fingertip drag just yet. Your lack of flexibility will really limit how effective that drill is.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Everyone needs a laugh.....so please critique my swim!! [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great. Thanks, John!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stroke is wide and very short in the back. Your open turn took 2+ seconds as well.

Second the drill recomendations. The lack of rotation is part of why your stroke is short.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAlbertan: Apr 23, 14 22:03
Quote Reply
Re: Everyone needs a laugh.....so please critique my swim!! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Pro Tip of the Day:
The best thing to do would be get a gopro or some other underwater camera. Get side shots, a shot from the front and back. Then repost all 4. That might yield you some good feedback.

While I can barely swim, I have done a bit of filming to help out some other similarly aquatically challenged friends, and I would say that I'm more suited to walking along the side of the pool with a camera than actually being in it!

This might be useful - I use a short pole (actually a straight aero bar) with a GoPro on one end (which goes under the water) and another camera near the top (also waterproof). With these you can film simultaneously above and below water, and synchronise them in an edit so that you can understand exactly what is happening throughout the stroke. Screenshot below:

While it is clear that I am never going to be even an average swimmer, the video below illustrates the filming:

Please don't fall off your chairs laughing

Cheers, Rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have limited shoulder mobolity and should be able to extend your arms overhead, alongside your ears, without compensation by spinal extension.. Your pectoralis major, deltoideus(anterior) and lattisimus dorsi, is properly tight and need mobility work and stretching pre and post workout

If you fix this mobility issue, your front crawl, will be much easier and faster to improve.

If you cant stay relaxed in a streamline position, then you are bound to compensation in your spine and hip and you will fall out of allignment
Quote Reply
Re: Everyone needs a laugh.....so please critique my swim!! [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
Stroke is wide and very short in the back. Your open turn took 2+ seconds as well.

Second the drill recomendations. The lack of rotation is part of why your stroke is short.

that was a turn? I thought he was resting between intervals.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Nuthin'? Over 100 people looked at that gawd-awful stroke and had no comment?

Or is it just so bad that it is beyond hope?

(hmmm....maybe that shouldn't be in pink)

There's always duathlons :)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dropped elbows everywhere but im not one to give swimming advice if you saw my thread about filming myself swimming too
Quote Reply