Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Evade vs Air Attack
Quote | Reply
I could not find the thread on this...and was following up to see if a time savings comparison/test has been done. I own both...wondering which is faster. Anyone know and can you point me in the right direction of the test.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Air Attack [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think I have seen an aero test between these two yet. My gut instincts would say the Evade is slightly faster, but it probably is rider/position dependent.
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Air Attack [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I haven't been down to see Jim to test these two, but from comments he has made as well as things out of the Rapp camp, I think Evade as well. I do have an LG Course, Air Attack and Evade now that I could test but the Air Attack is likely to be sold once I confirm the Evade is faster.

Only downside to the Evade is that I cannot, for the life of me, stash my sunglasses in the helmet vents. I can with the Course and Air Attack (though they stick up at odd angles), but not with the Evade.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Air Attack [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can I ask is air attack sheild more or less the same as air attack?
I was hoping the sheild may offer less resistance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a search - Evade head Down

Rappstar

Sep 10, 13 21:20

Post #16 of 40 (1962 views)
Re: S-Works Evade caught my eye [wsrobert] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

5w difference in my "normal" position at both 0deg and 10deg of yaw at 40kph in the tunnel. McLaren is still faster. But not by a whole lot. The Evade is FAST. I knew it was fast. I didn't think it'd be THAT fast...
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Air Attack [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Evade will easily be faster than the Air Attack, but man-o-man, I would love to pit the Evade against the Course! Robert, when are you coming in!? Saturday Night? You could help me test some other stuff if you're up to it. Honeymoon's over, let's get to work!

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Air Attack [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim,

Do you have reason to think that the comparison between the evade and the course might be close? When I first saw an ad for the Course I thought it was nothing but a marketing ploy to sell a helmet that is supposedly "aero". When I came upon your comments noting how fast it has tested it has really blown me away and I am not in the process of figuring out if that will be my next road helmet or if I can try to stomach wearing the Evade. It is just kinda ugly looking in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Evade will easily be faster than the Air Attack, but man-o-man, I would love to pit the Evade against the Course! Robert, when are you coming in!? Saturday Night? You could help me test some other stuff if you're up to it. Honeymoon's over, let's get to work!

We're cursed! You know how much I want to get down there, and I'm pretty close to where I think I should be on the P5 and would love to come down with that and some other goodies, but I have plans Saturday night! And the PDR triathlon (my once-a-year sprint tri) Sunday morning. Assuming I don't drown during the swim, I'll be bugging you to fit me in in the next few weeks or so!

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Air Attack [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is McLaren?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would the Evade "definitely" be faster? I would think it would be close to within the margin of error.
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Air Attack [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got the Evade after being disappointed with the Air Attack fit and no regrets. IMHO the straps on Specialized helmets are the best / most comfortable in the market (having used Giro and LG previously). Can't quite comment on which is faster yet, but at least the Evade is a little less fugly as well :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have the numbers to hand but the evade tested significantly better for a group test we did. I have no idea why anyone would wear the air attack. I saw lots at kona, and ib felt like thanking every guy I passed on the bike wearing one.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Air Attack [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
I don't have the numbers to hand but the evade tested significantly better for a group test we did. I have no idea why anyone would wear the air attack. I saw lots at kona, and ib felt like thanking every guy I passed on the bike wearing one.

I was wondering because I saw Pros wearing the air attack...but did not notice any with the Evade...which was strange.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
robgray wrote:

I was wondering because I saw Pros wearing the air attack...but did not notice any with the Evade...which was strange.

Yes that's strange. I've no idea why someone sponsored by giro would not wear the selector.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Air Attack [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably because I think the selector is a bit hot in the Kona conditions. I bought one with the visor approx. 1,5yr ago for 145€ (approx 190$), but here in cold/wet Belgium, I don't risk having overheating issue's.

Because I am very prone to overheating, basically any race-temperature >25°C causes me to meltdown like Fukushima, I'm looking for a cooler aero helmet. The ones I've got an interest in are the Ekoii (like Frederic vL), the Specialized Evade and Giro Air Attack (are there others that should be on the radar / short-list ?).

Given that I'm at 58,5 cm head-circumference, I can buy either the medium, either the large size of the S-Works Evade. Which one would be the optimum choice for maximum cooling effect. I would believe that the large one offers more cooling, any opinion/feedback ? I would also think that the drag difference between medium and large size is anything you could realisticly measure. I would guess there are bigger battles to win before optimizing that aero-difference, so defenitly am more interested in maximimizing the cooling effect.

S.
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Air Attack [shamerli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would buy the smallest evade that fits you. For me, only one size (medium) fits so the choice is easy. But for example if large also fit, I'd go with medium because it would be slightly more aero on my head. I don't think there would be any difference in cooling

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO the Evade looks way better. Not sure if that's worth anything

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Evade is assumed to be faster than the Air Attack despite the fact that it has more vents? I guess we will never know for sure unless the two are tested head-to-head.
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Air Attack [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
The Evade is assumed to be faster than the Air Attack despite the fact that it has more vents? I guess we will never know for sure unless the two are tested head-to-head.

There is enough data on both to infer with pretty strong certainty that the evade is faster.

Like, we know the delta between the Attack and Selector, and we know the delta between the Evade and the specialized TT helmets, and it is a much smaller delta.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Air Attack [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you know the delta between your Selector and your LG Course?
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Air Attack [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard rumors that the UCI will be banning the Evade because of its dimensions? anybody else hear this? I heard it from an untrustworthy source but im still wondering.
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Air Attack [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Post deleted by sib1 [ In reply to ]
Re: Evade vs Air Attack [sib1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a Course and like it. I find it comfortable. Hot where I live, so vents are important so I'd give up something to get something.

Racing it tomorrow in a cross race.

Given I mostly ride road, and TT no more than 3 or 4 times a year, some of the other absolute aero efficiency considerations aren't as critical for me. That being said, any little bit helps, right?

J
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Air Attack [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This spring I went with the Air Attack and suffered until I got the LG Course. Having both that and the Evade i cant for the life of me figure out with all the information that's out why people would be racing them in Kona or others buying them new today.

Any thoughts?
Quote Reply

Prev Next