Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Evade. Vs Giro Advantage 2
Quote | Reply
Hey folks,

I have a 70.3. Race coming up and I still have not made a helmet choice

I already own a white Evade and Giro Advantage 2.

If it's a super hot day I will go with the Evade. But does anyone feel that one helmet is that much better then the other over a 70.3 course with 2000 ft of elevation gain?

Love to hear the input
Quote Reply
Re: Evade. Vs Giro Advantage 2 [triguy1043] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy1043 wrote:
Hey folks,

I have a 70.3. Race coming up and I still have not made a helmet choice

I already own a white Evade and Giro Advantage 2.

If it's a super hot day I will go with the Evade. But does anyone feel that one helmet is that much better then the other over a 70.3 course with 2000 ft of elevation gain?

Love to hear the input

I have both. I just got the Evade and will never again use my Giro Advantage. That thing is going on ebay! Evade is supposed to test faster from what I understand and less penalty when your head is moving around. Only downside of Evade is too vented on cold weather days....froze my head for the first 2 hours of IM Tremblant!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have read that the A2 is likely faster for most people. I also have both and have not work the A2 since purchasing the Evade. Things I prefer:
  • I can actually hear while wearing it - this makes me feel more safe, as I am aware of my surroundings
  • Looks better
  • Easier to bring to races
  • I can wear it with a backpack, so that means I can ride to Transition
  • Easier to put on in T1 (this is like a 2 second difference)
  • More comfortable

Unless I see data that the Advantage2 is measurably and significantly (to me this would mean 5+ watts) faster, I will not wear the A2 again. These benefits are worth 5 watts to me. They are not worth 10.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Evade. Vs Giro Advantage 2 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul,

Thanks for the info in the Evade
My next question is now did you place you helmet sticker over the vents?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy1043 wrote:
Paul,

In my last race I had a three digit number and was able to cut around the number so the entire number was visible AND the vents were not partially blocked. I am assuming if the vents are partially blocked the helmet gets slower. It would be interesting if someone from specialized can confirm, because if this is not the case, I would tape all the vents up for cold weather races. I think the virtual frontal of the helmet is slower with vents open. To confirm this I looked at airflow with head up and head down. In each case they engineered for unencumbered air pass through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultimately you'd have to test to know which was faster for you and by how much. I've seen enough tests to know that I'd choose the opposite of most people who chimed in.

Dev what size is your A2? i've got a friend looking for a M. PM me if you want are serious about selling it.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Evade. Vs Giro Advantage 2 [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Ultimately you'd have to test to know which was faster for you and by how much. I've seen enough tests to know that I'd choose the opposite of most people who chimed in.

Dev what size is your A2? i've got a friend looking for a M. PM me if you want are serious about selling it.

Brian, mine is a small. I ride mainly head down thus the Evade tends to be better all purpose for ME. As you said, you need to rest personally though with some field testing etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks but bummer as he needs a size up.

I wouldn't be fooled by the head down argument with the A2 vs the Evade, you might (probably) are still prolonging your day with that choice.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
REI has them for $123 right now during their Labor Day sale.

CJ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what about the evade vs the giro air attack? these are the two helmets im torn between.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

I wouldn't be fooled by the head down argument with the A2 vs the Evade, you might (probably) are still prolonging your day with that choice.

OK, I thought Rapp had put up some data (or maybe MITaerobike) saying with head down the Evade was faster. Having said that, I also appreciate that they are both Specialzed guys, but I respect when they make statements they are almost always based on measured facts/data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
triguy1043 wrote:
Paul,

In my last race I had a three digit number and was able to cut around the number so the entire number was visible AND the vents were not partially blocked. I am assuming if the vents are partially blocked the helmet gets slower. It would be interesting if someone from specialized can confirm, because if this is not the case, I would tape all the vents up for cold weather races. I think the virtual frontal of the helmet is slower with vents open. To confirm this I looked at airflow with head up and head down. In each case they engineered for unencumbered air pass through.

Do not block the vents on the Evade. See this video where they test that:

https://www.youtube.com/...;v=ke-USPbknFQ#t=166
Quote Reply
Re: Evade. Vs Giro Advantage 2 [danesbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In that situation you should not be torn at all. Go with the specialized.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For 10 riders the Evade could be slower vs A2 in heads down by 5-10w for 6 but for 4 riders 3-8w faster. (just choosing #'s)

When it comes to helmets unless you test their facts/measured data do not = you and what it'll do for you. It could be much worse or much better.

I wouldn't really trust someone else's data until it's at least N=10 or more and even then you're going to be choosing based on the trend line.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Evade. Vs Giro Advantage 2 [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2, 3, 4, 5 are of no consequence.

Individuality reigns supreme in the wind tunnel, but I have plenty of data that shows the a2 is easily that much faster than aero helmets, let alone road helmets.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the Giro and picked up an Evade in time for this year's IM Cairns (thinking it would be another stinking hot day ... ha!), as well as thinking ahead to doing Kona and wanting a cooler helmet than the Giro.

I love the Evade over the Giro so much that I've now sold the Giro and have two Evades - one for racing and one for general riding/training.

On the question of race numbers over the vents, I had no problem doing some creative cutting with a pair of nail scissors so the sticker folds into the vents and the number is still visible.
Quote Reply
Re: Evade. Vs Giro Advantage 2 [irongirl101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the advice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
For 10 riders the Evade could be slower vs A2 in heads down by 5-10w for 6 but for 4 riders 3-8w faster. (just choosing #'s)

When it comes to helmets unless you test their facts/measured data do not = you and what it'll do for you. It could be much worse or much better.

I wouldn't really trust someone else's data until it's at least N=10 or more and even then you're going to be choosing based on the trend line.

Thanks. I'll do some more field testing on a local downhill in still air (trees on each side) with a variety of head positions. That's likely my best option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let us know how that goes. OK? I planned on doing the same on a 2 mile stretch of downhill road with no intersection not too far from here. Surrounded by trees. I have a Giro A2. Been looking at stubby helmets for a while. Evade and Air Attack. (How does Air Attack compare?)

BTW Spec has an Evade Tri on their site. No availability. Magnetic clasp seems to be the only difference.

http://www.specialized.com/...ets/sworks-evade-tri
Quote Reply
Re: Evade. Vs Giro Advantage 2 [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AA tests, on average, worse than the Evade.

But none of you seem to be particularly concerned with trends in wind-tunnel data.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
desert dude wrote:

OK, I thought Rapp had put up some data (or maybe MITaerobike) saying with head down the Evade was faster. Having said that, I also appreciate that they are both Specialzed guys, but I respect when they make statements they are almost always based on measured facts/data.

Wasn't me. Might have been that public data in one of the articles about Crowie - only guy I know who rides Specialized that would have data for himself on all three helmets.

I don't ever ride "head down" (I have a very strong bias against not seeing the road), so it's irrelevant to me.

Jim Martin might also have chimed in, but I think that was - specifically - on the McLaren vs. the A2, to shut up some asshole who kept saying the A2 is faster than the McLaren, which it definitely is not. But the A2 vs the Evade? I dunno...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: Aug 28, 14 8:26
Quote Reply
Re: Evade. Vs Giro Advantage 2 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That asshole seems smart enough not to think electrical simulators and some root extract can boost performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without being able to test in the tunnel, would you go with the a2 over the selector? How accurate is eyeballing the fit?

Quote | Reply
I've got both and subjectively (n=1, + rides seem to confirm) that the A2 for me is slightly faster, but it is hotter.

I use the evade for training, and Olympic races and races where it will be warm/hot. Other races I use the A2. The A2 is also quieter so I get to "enjoy" the silence more. For IM Wales that is aropund the corner, I'll bring both, but if the weather is anything like typical Welch wetaher (cold, wet and windy) , it'll be the A2 that goes into transition whilst the evade get's to sit it out on the sidelines..

GReetz,

S.
Quote Reply