Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
European Car Rental Advice
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are racing IM Luxembourg 70.3 next summer and will need to rent a car. We will need something that can take 2 hard bike boxes and our luggage. We will be doing a road trip after the race so need a car. I have no idea if a Citroen C4, Lancia Delta, Peugeot 207, Ford Focus, Volvo V40 or others are suitable.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: European Car Rental Advice [TOTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Ford Focus is the same car as sold in the U.S. and assuming it is the 5-door model it might fit your needs. You can easily check one out at a local dealer or even borrow/rent on for a day to check it out. The Volvo V40 is also sold in the U.S. and is similar size. As for the other models, check out their specs online and see how they compare to the Focus as a benchmark. None of the models you listed are bigger than what we would call a compact car but if they are hatchbacks they can be fairly roomy.
Quote Reply
Re: European Car Rental Advice [tcesni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many of rentals available are manual transmission, so if you don't drive stick, be sure in your reservations to request an automatic.

I used to have a Volvo V40, it will not have enough room for all that you are bringing, especially with the hardshell cases.

Best bet is for a Dodge Caravan or similar SUV/minivan, just to make it easy on yourself.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My last two trips to the UK, I rented a Peugeot 508 and a VW Passat from Avis, both diesel wagons with manual transmission. Either would probably be big enough for your bags/bikes and still get good mileage (which is welcome, given fuel prices in Europe)
Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: Jan 3, 14 5:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to the car model: Get the GPS - no matter how much they want to charge.

European towns are built on the "Confuse the invader" city planning model, and not tearing out your hair over (possibly) outdated paper maps will make your life so much easier.

I know this from experience. A friend of mine went mad in France and danced, naked, in the fountain in the city square at Aix.

Okay, she wasn't naked. She just snapped and said we weren't driving any further and that we'd all rot and die right in front of the crepe take-away place.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Last edited by: LuvMyCrappyBike: Jan 2, 14 19:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have done 3 trips to Germany in the last 5 years with similar luggage.
I always book with Auto Europe and I always get a Mercedes C class diesel wagon (estate) w/ auto transmission. (AVIS, Europcar)
I can drive stick, but prefer auto when driving tight inner city european street.
It comes with GPS included FREE... so it's a better deal than getting a cheaper vehicle and adding on the GPS.
I NEVER pick up at the airport ($100+ more).
I pick up at an inner city location (3 euro train ride and 10mins away) while my wife watches the baggage at the airport.
Or, last time, we both hauled our luggage to the U-Bahn and then walked another 150m to the car rental place.

GPS is absolutely necessary in Europe.
Write down all your addresses, punch them in... and never worry about missing an exit or searching for some narrow alley that leads to your hotel barely larger than a goat path (happened in Austria).

Drop off at the airport costs nothing extra... so do it!
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Jan 2, 14 23:16
Quote Reply
Re: European Car Rental Advice [LuvMyCrappyBike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your friend has good taste, that's not a bad place to get stuck at!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

2 hardshells (where you take off cranks seatpost and aerobars) are a tough (tight) fit in a compact; although not impossible with a 5 door hatchback.
But it is definitely a no go with the bigger/odd shaped hard shell case (such as Tri all 3).

And yes, if you don't drive a stick on a daily basis, you certainly do not want to refresh your knowledge in a foreign country or city..

If you want to be hassle free with two bikes, you want an automatic and a wagon at least.

Yes, you want to have GPS and a good and mellow partner (so you don't destroy your marriage or friendship).

I would consider storing the bikes/or cases somewhere when going on a road trip.
Bike cases in plain sight (as in a regular car) are attractive targets for thieves.
Quote Reply
Re: European Car Rental Advice [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know if you figured it out yet, but 1st stop is at the AAA with a passport photo to buy a totally rink a dink International drivers license. It is like $20 and may be the dumbest drivers license ever, but is required pretty much every where in Europe I have rented a car..
Quote Reply
Re: European Car Rental Advice [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good advice for the OP if he plans on visiting Southern Europe.
Did not have a problem with my (newer issue) Ca license in central Europe (on two separate occasions). Helps if you speak the language though.
Making sure you are covered regarding insurance/legal is a good idea too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice.

I will go with a wagon or small SUV. Good idea to find a place to leave the bikes. I have an international drivers licence, GPS and do drive stick. Did IM Switzerland a few years ago and would have been lost without the GPS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL
Same thing happened to me when my husband decided to drive into Paris at 10pm to get to our hotel. At one point we nearly drove down a flight of stairs.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: European Car Rental Advice [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of them are small except the Volvo.

You need a hatchback rather than a saloon. If you are going Citroen make sure it is a Picasso, Peugeot Estate (any of the 3/5 series but make sure it is estate).

95% of hire cars are manual so make sure you request an automatic if that is what you are used to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is not hard to drive in European cities, unless you are a bad driver or American.............................;-)
Quote Reply
Re: European Car Rental Advice [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Untrue: an US drivers license is all you need for most western european nations. I was just in the UK, on business for 2 weeks, rented a VW polo with manual (shifting with the left was odd for the first 3 minutes) and gave them my CA drivers license. No problems. I had a similar experiences all throughout Asia when I lived there. the int'l license is a complete waste of $20. Not having it may limit your options (i.e. you may not be able to rent from a local firm) but any major international rental company knows that they're a joke, require no training whatsoever, and thus don't require it.
Quote Reply
Re: European Car Rental Advice [Stumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the international drivers license, no one asked for it. Won't do it again.

We rented a Renault Espace for three kids, two adults and a bike case. It was TIGHT getting from the airport (Lyon) to the house we were staying at. After that, the day trips were okay with all 5 passengers, the bike, and a few odds & ends. With two bikes & luggage, I'd recommend the same.

I second/third/whatever on the GPS. It was an absolute lifesaver.

If at all possible, go ride some of the cobbles for the Paris Roubaix. When you get back, please tell me how awesome it was.

thanks,

Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all, I hate you. You're going to Europe and I'm not. :-)

Seriously though, if possible check into storing your bike boxes at the airport. I've stored bike boxes in Milan Malpensa and Frankfurt. It's only a couple of Euros a day and was well worth the cost. You will get charged per piece of luggage, but you may be able to consolidate them into one if they are the clam shell style. Even if you can't, it's worth to cost.

As somebody else said, get the international drivers license. I rented a car in Italy and was not told of this and wasn't asked for one either. But I got pulled into a check point leaving the Dolomites and heard a lot of "non va bene" from the police officer. He finally let me go as we had an injured friend who we were taking to Malpensa and we were leaving Italy for France and maybe partly because he was tired of talking to the stupid American. :-)

If you can get rid of the bike boxes a wagon will work fine. I also agree with the GPS as others have mentioned. Though we had a hell of a time finding our hotel in Briancon in the dark inside the walled city with it. If you have a GPS it might be cheaper to get the Euro maps for yours and also nice as you'll be used to using it. Using your phone is another option but roaming data is hideously expensive. You can get a roaming data package (and you should even if you don't use much). Also, if you've got an Android phone I believe you can set up your route over wifi and save the maps you'll need for your trip so that you don't need to use data while you're driving.

I don't know about Luxembourg, but here is a tip about diesel if you get a diesel car. In Italy there are two grades of diesel and one of gasoline. In France there are two grades of gasoline and one of diesel. And in french the word for diesel is something like gazzole. Can you see how that might be an issue?! :-)

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: European Car Rental Advice [xc800runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An "international drivers license" is nothing more than a certified translation of the English words on your North American drivers license. While I have rarely been asked to see one in Europe when renting, you will need one if you get pulled over or get in an accident. Italy, for example, has huge fines if the local carbinieri decide that they don't understand your license. The good news is that although the AAA or CAA will tell you that the IDL expires after 12 months, since it is really nothing more than a certified translation, you don't really need to get a new one every year. My current IDL is about 10 years old but has always worked when needed. All in all, $20 every decade or so is cheap insurance against silly cops. An added bonus for Canadians - if your provincial drivers license is bilingual, you do not need an IDL if you are driving only in France, Switzerland or Belgium.

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something that I don't think anyone else has mentioned is that you need to be prepared to deal with disappointment as to the exact vehicle they give you at the rental counter. Typically when you book e.g., a Ford Focus (that might be big enough) the reservation will say "Ford Focus or similar" and you will get a Renault Clio or Peugot 205 (which won't even hold 2 bikes, let alone 2 hard cases) and the agent at the rental counter will not honour your discount if you need to upgrade to a larger size category. Your great deal from Expedia will quickly morph into full rack rates plus plus. Best idea is to book at least one class larger than the model that you really want.

As others have said, diesel is readily available and much cheaper per mile than gas, and standard is much cheaper than automatic - if automatic is even available. I have never used GPS in Europe - it seems like cheating and takes all the skill out of it - sort of like electronic shifting, but that's for another thread.

John
Quote Reply
Re: European Car Rental Advice [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
GPS is absolutely necessary in Europe.

Now you tell me! i wonder how I managed all those years, before there was GPS.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: European Car Rental Advice [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. I will see if I can check the bikes back into the airport.

My GPS has Euro maps already as I bought it for a trip to Switzerland and was a life saver.

I did get an international licence just to be safe and it is still valid.

I am going to rent a minivan just to be safe.
Quote Reply
Re: European Car Rental Advice [benjpi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would love to ride them but unfortunately won't be going north. Will try and fit in a ride up Alpe d'Huez or the Tourmalet though.
Quote Reply
Re: European Car Rental Advice [john.koch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks will go for a minivan just to be safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the Tourmalet is in the Pyrenees, one heck of a drive from Luxembourg! Alpe d'Huez is closer and is epic. It's not as hard as some of the others though, but it's hard not to feel awesome going up it if you're a cycling fan. The col du Joux Plane will make you cry for your mother, and is absolutely stunningly scenic. The stretches of 20% grade are brutal!

The Glandon has about the most scenic mountaintop that I've been on in my entire life, and you can fit in the Croix de Fer at the same time. The Madeleine is right near there too, and a bit further south is Ventoux.

When driving in France, watch out for the speed cameras. They are marked so you know they're coming, just don't zone out and forget to slow down for them.

The drivers in France were much better about accommodating cyclists, and the bigger more remote climbs had very little traffic as you get closer to the top.

Have a great time, and good luck.
Quote Reply

Prev Next