Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Etap question
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if you can use an etap FD ONLY with an etap blipbox?

My cx bike is setup up with a single ring, but for some gravel races I run a 2x system, but it's a pain to switch, sooo I was thinking...I could take the blipbox and etap FD from my other bike and install on my cx bike. I wouldn't even bother with the blips and just shift with the button on the blipbox as front shifting isn't too frequent and would be just the push of a button.

Does the RD have to be in the chain? I understand the RD is the 'master', so I guess I don't quite understand the role it plays.

Last edited by: Bonesbrigade: May 19, 17 9:05
Quote Reply
Re: Etap question [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Does the RD have to be in the chain? I understand the RD is the 'master', so I guess I don't quite understand the role it plays.

That is my understanding when reading the instructions and watching the videos. When I was installing the road group you have to pair all of the system through the RD.
Quote Reply
Re: Etap question [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
Quote:

That is my understanding when reading the instructions and watching the videos. When I was installing the road group you have to pair all of the system through the RD.

OK, if it's paired and I simply remove the FD and the blipbox and put it on another bike, it should still work though - or maybe once the blipbox is no longer connected to the RD the FD won't work either - Ha, maybe I have to ride around with the RD in my pocket!!

Once the system has been paired you don't need the rear mech I believe, I think the front still works with the battery removed from the rear mech
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had my RD battery die and was still able to shift the FD so I would agree, it seems like the pairing STARTS from the RD, but once the system is paired the FD should work alone with the blip box?
Quote Reply
Re: Etap question [aavlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aavlee wrote:
I've had my RD battery die and was still able to shift the FD so I would agree, it seems like the pairing STARTS from the RD, but once the system is paired the FD should work alone with the blip box?

This is what I was thinking - it would have to work, otherwise if you RD battery died you would also lose your front shifting which wouldn't make sense from a design perspective.

thanks!

I believe you are right and one of the reasons I went with the etap system. I just forgot about that bonus point of being able to move a battery during a ride to make a shift if one of the batteries dies out in the middle of nowhere. Hasn't happened to me yet so I forgot about that. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need to have the RD paired at all. FD can be the "master" too. I think they have you make the RD the "master" because it is the component with the ANT+ radio.
Quote Reply
Re: Etap question [MVM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MVM wrote:
You don't need to have the RD paired at all. FD can be the "master" too. I think they have you make the RD the "master" because it is the component with the ANT+ radio.

Even better. Thanks for the info.

Etap is proving to be a pretty awesome product. I've only had two rides on it and I'm quite impressed.

Oh man, I love this idea. I don't yet have etap, but I do ride 1x on my CX bike and hate adding the FD and cables for one or two rides per year. Please post when/if you try it.

Also, don't forget to take off the FD when cross season comes around. That's a good way to lose a couple hundred bucks. I wonder if they're rated for pressure washing? :)

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply