Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Escape The Cape Triathlon
Quote | Reply
I have not heard about this event until today, but then again it is only in its second year. But wow.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...e_The_Cape_4376.html
Quote Reply
Re: Escape The Cape Triathlon [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did it for the second time yesterday - great event.

Similar issues (although not as bad) to last year as far as keeping the ferry in place for the jump, but overall a very well-produced race. I just wish Delmo would bag the beach run sections!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year, there was one participant who, when faced with the drop, said "push me". And they did. Apparently (I didn't do the race this year), the same occurred this year (the final person in the water?).

My funniest memory of that jump, halfway down, was thinking to myself "why haven't I hit the water yet?"

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Escape The Cape Triathlon [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sprint or Olympic?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on the boat, helping people into the water. Same woman from last year, this time walked to the edge with her husband, we counted down "3-2-1" the husband jumped, and she turned and walked away! Haha, it was classic. She got in much easier this time, she sat on the edge and went in on her own not too long after the boat was repositioned.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape The Cape Triathlon [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a great time yesterday (aside from waiting for all the Sprint athletes to get in the water). It was a fun, flat and fast race (aside from it turning into a tough mudder on the second beach run). I would definitely recommend and do again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Sprint or Olympic?

Last year was the Olympic, this year was the Sprint (determined by Facebook posting by an FB friend).

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Escape The Cape Triathlon [JPDMD25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JPDMD25 wrote:
Had a great time yesterday (aside from waiting for all the Sprint athletes to get in the water). It was a fun, flat and fast race (aside from it turning into a tough mudder on the second beach run). I would definitely recommend and do again.

Did they allow you to carry on to the ferry anything that didn't have to be discarded? I suggested last year that racers be allowed to carry on a numbered bag so they could bring on sandals (try running on that metal deck to warm up!), a water bottle, sunglasses, etc. Just curious.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, they didnt have any bag drop. Anything you didnt take with you on the swim got left behind (thrown out). At least the ferry itself is rather nice (espn on the flat screens if you wanted to just hang out inside).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually meant you. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

I did the "Olympic" last year. I didn't realize it was only a 5mi run until the day before when picking up my race packet.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Herbert wrote:

I did the "Olympic" last year. I didn't realize it was only a 5mi run until the day before when picking up my race packet.

Do you recall your swim time from last year??? Was it a with the tide/current swim??? Also, how far, roughly, was it on the jump??? Was it longer than the 10-m oly diving platform???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love this quote: "If you feel that you cannot jump, we will have the services of Dr. Mitchell Greene, sports psychologist, to assist."
Quote Reply
Re: Escape The Cape Triathlon [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
klehner wrote:
Herbert wrote:

Do you recall your swim time from last year??? Was it a with the tide/current swim??? Also, how far, roughly, was it on the jump??? Was it longer than the 10-m oly diving platform???

17:16. Sorry to say that they set it up so that it was current assisted, obviously.

The drop was probably around fifteen feet or so. It was rather surprising to see as I stepped to the edge, since that is the first time I got to see it "up close". It definitely took longer to hit the water than I expected, but it's not like it was a violent collision. Didn't go down terribly far, and my T1 didn't roll up as I feared it might.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd like to do this race sometime soon. i think the jump would be the best part.

i just got married in cape may 3 weeks ago so it would be difficult to make another trip up from north carolina.

the wife's side of the family (my new relatives, i suppose) have connections to cape may, maybe we can organize some "family time" around this.

what was the water temperature? i imagine it was pretty brisk still this time of year.
Last edited by: Ellsworth53T: Jun 9, 14 11:22
Quote Reply
Re: Escape The Cape Triathlon [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water temp was a perfect 70º
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it was 69.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ellsworth53T wrote:
what was the water temperature? i imagine it was pretty brisk still this time of year.

Right around 70* - I wore a sleeveless suit (same as last year) and it was fine. Plenty of people wore just shorts/rashguards/trisuits and seemed to be OK.

This year I didn't see the guy who wore what appeared to be a hooded 5/3 or 5/4 or maybe thicker zipperless surfing wetsuit last year. I can't imagine how much fun it must have been getting out of that in T1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
klehner wrote:
Herbert wrote:

17:16. Sorry to say that they set it up so that it was current assisted, obviously.

The drop was probably around fifteen feet or so. It was rather surprising to see as I stepped to the edge, since that is the first time I got to see it "up close". It definitely took longer to hit the water than I expected, but it's not like it was a violent collision. Didn't go down terribly far, and my T1 didn't roll up as I feared it might.

Ah, 15 ft, no big deal:) Thanks for the info/insight!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Superiorman triathlon in Duluth, Mn also has a jump from a boat into the water for the swim start. Water is going to be colder than 69F.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape The Cape Triathlon [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good race overall but I wouldn't do it again unless they changed the run. On the Olympic distance the second run was worse than the first crappy beach section.
The beach run was TERRIBLE!

TEAM ZOOT 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
I have not heard about this event until today, but then again it is only in its second year. But wow.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...e_The_Cape_4376.html

What a start of the swim leg. Triathlon is a sport not a distance. This looks like one great event with a great RD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Registration is open today (and likely today only). I just signed up for the Olympic distance.

https://delmosports.webconnex.com/escapethecape
Quote Reply
Re: Escape The Cape Triathlon [mstyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why, do you think it will sell out today?

I took it more as early registration and some hype for the race.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Escape The Cape Triathlon [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honest answer: I'm a tri newb and I bought the hype. Maybe it'll fill up today, maybe not. According to the ST link above it has sold out in the past.
Quote Reply

Prev Next