Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Escape From Alcatraz bike course before race
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone!

Just curious, but is the Alcatraz bike course rideable before the race? Trying to plan travels, and I would like to preview it a couple times, but didn't know if it was possible or not. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz bike course before race [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode it a few days before the race last year with no problems. The park section was pretty congested with people, other than that it was fine. I highly recommend it, just to add more confidence to your race. Oh and don't go too fast down Point Lobos near the Cliff House, lots of gnarly crashes there on that curve.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz bike course before race [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes you can and you'll just have to deal with the normal car traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz bike course before race [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride it once a week... very rideable, albeit with traffic, as others have noted.

I would recommend a pre-ride since the roads are covered in potholes and there are a couple of tight turns and twists to be aware of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can't get out for a ride, then you at least need to drive it. As noted above, you want to know where the potholes are located.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_YIXnZV3EU

If you haven't watched this then I highly suggest it. I did a good 20 to 30 trainer rides watching this on my ipad. That way I knew all the turns before I even got there. And also knew the areas to pay attention to when I went out driving the course. For me the sketchiest part was 34th Ave coming down from the Legion of Honor. Not the coming down part(except the turn at the bottom of the hill), I was fast enough on the swim to be alone, but by the time I came back you have a lot of people coming down the hill, 2 abreast and sometimes someone trying to pass on a very narrow stretch of road.

This one will give you better feel for congestion in some areas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lboN5SmsdaA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can ride it (earlier in the day the better for less traffic) and you can do the run and if you go out with Water World Swim or Swim Art (if they are still doing it) you can do Alcatraz swims once a month. If you start from Aquatic Park you can also park for free.
Quote Reply