Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Escape From Alcatraz 2017
Quote | Reply
My wife just got confirmation of her winning lottery bid for the Escape from Alcatraz in 2017.

Has anyone here ran this in the past? Thoughts? Advice?

Part of the email stated "You MUST COMPLETE THE REGISTRATION PROCESS by NOVEMBER 28, 2016. Do not wait! Registration window may close early if we reach capacity due to high demand." Does this mean they selected more people than they have spots for?

We were going to wait until the 1st (payday) to register, that is still almost a month from the deadline but now we are worried if we wait a week she may miss out. If you ran this in the past, how soon did you complete the registration?

TIA!
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz 2017 [Phoenix45] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the email too. Haven't done the race but was kind of surprised on the cost... I suppose the demand is high enough to justify a similar price to a full ironman. I'm going to pass on this one for a few years until I get a raise... and it costs even more.

So for what it's worth, I suspect others will have a similar mindset and the race will not sell out in a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You wont miss out - this will not sell out at all. There is race is in the process of dying since they raised the price two years ago. Last year they saw over 500 less participants and they let everyone into the race. The lottery concept is a total ruse.

Any bets on whether they exceed 1000 total participants in 2017?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phoenix45 wrote:
My wife just got confirmation of her winning lottery bid for the Escape from Alcatraz in 2017.

Has anyone here ran this in the past? Thoughts? Advice?

Part of the email stated "You MUST COMPLETE THE REGISTRATION PROCESS by NOVEMBER 28, 2016. Do not wait! Registration window may close early if we reach capacity due to high demand." Does this mean they selected more people than they have spots for?

We were going to wait until the 1st (payday) to register, that is still almost a month from the deadline but now we are worried if we wait a week she may miss out. If you ran this in the past, how soon did you complete the registration?

TIA!

Great, Iconic race. You'll have a great time at the race, and also enjoying SF for the weekend. Enjoy!

The best advice that I can give is to pay close attention to the RD's tips and instructions for the swim. Do what they say, and you'll do great.

You won't miss out by waiting until the 1st to register. The registration/lottery/price thing has been jacked up for 2 years now. It's very expensive, and not worth it to many people. But it's a unique race in a unique setting so I say go for it if it's within your budget. There's only a few of these type of races left.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phoenix45 wrote:
[eople than they have spots for?

TIA!

Wasn't uncommon a few years ago to expect multiple attempts to get in on the lottery, and if you got in you'd definitely register ASAP because the race was a guaranteed sell out. Then they doubled the price and pissed off most everyone. I haven't been paying that much attention to registration since, but it sounds like that cooled demand considerably.

Whether or not it's worth it anymore is subjective, it's always been a very expensive race for out of towners simply because SF is an expensive city. When you factor in possible airfare, lodging, etc, the entry fee is probably the least of your worries... but it certainly doesn't help the situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely an iconic race. It is extremely well organized with a beautiful and tough course. Even the swim is hilly...
I've done the full race once a long time ago, and just recently the swim portion w a wheelchair athlete on a relay in June. Everyone on the staff and the volunteers bent over backwards to help us get the wheelchair onto the boat and to the swim finish, plus they ran down the beach with the chair when we landed 1/4 mile past the swim finish chute.
My friend and I met athletes from all over the USA and the world on the boat. They were very excited about the event, and for the internationals, it was part of a multi-week vacation. As one said to me "It's a cool event, and I didn't have to train as much as for Ironman, the race is a lot shorter, so my wife and kids are much happier we can do some things all during the time before and after the race. I rented a bike to use. And I am not worried all the time like I do for IM..."

Escape from Alcatraz might not be the sort of race which appeals to the "usual" ST forum member, but for more "casual" triathletes, and/or those looking for an adventure and a bucket list race, it'll definitely tick those boxes. The post race food and party were terrific as well. It seemed like there were thousands of enthusiastic volunteers everywhere, and boy, did they get that park cleaned up quickly after everything ended on Sunday!

PS. And pay attention to the swim instructions, or you'll end up about 1/4 mile or more past the swim finish point, or get picked up by a jet ski.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did it in 2014 and 2015 and glad I did, at the somewhat more reasonable lower cost. It is an iconic race but no way I'd spend $750 on it (and I think I'd say that even not having done it).

It is a well run race and has the most "IM" event feel of any independent race I've been to. That said, there are a lot of ways to get similar and cheaper experiences. There are lots of swims from Alcatraz every season, and the aquathon (swim then run across the GG bridge) is a lot of fun.

EFA bike is, IMO a shitshow. Crowded, narrow, and frankly dangerous over the Legion of Honor section. Last time I did it saw a crash there (just like 2014) and said to myself no need to do this again. Only cool part of the bike is riding thru GG park

The run is nice but again you can do it for free

I know it's an event and that makes it different than doing the legs separately. If you have the budget for it, go for it to check it off the list. Otherwise find another event in the area and enjoy that. Just my .02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a great event. Well worth the cost for my experience.
As previously said pay attention to what they say about the swim. If you can do a practice swim the day before. Google Swim with Pedro, they normally have a practice swim.
Day of race I wore socks and shoes and just left them on the boat but most people just walked around barefoot. Most important is to really just enjoy it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I signed up for the second round just out of curiosity (no intention of actually doing this race). I got my confirmation email today. Sounds like the price hike has hurt them. Speculation, of course, but that's my take. I've never done the race before, never signed up for the lottery before. Just did it to see if I got selected. I'm either very lucky or their demand isn't what it used to be.

Anyone NOT get into the lottery? Or know of anyone who hasn't gotten in?
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz 2017 [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OP here...

After further research and soul-searching, my wife choose not to accept her lottery bid.
She is aware of at least two others who did not get in on the first round. She doesn't know if they did on the second.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So maybe I was luckier than I thought. Which probably will guarantee that I won't get in at a time that I actually want to do the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe if they cut the price in half....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
Sounds like the price hike has hurt them. Speculation, of course, but that's my take.
There was a really good thread a few months ago that did an economic analysis of the price change. The nut is that their revenue is up overall, even though participation is down. And, with lower participation, their variable costs should be lower. Therefore, both the net revenue and net margin are up. Sounds like a pretty shrewd move, as long as they stay on the positive side of their price price elasticity curve.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz 2017 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried searching for that thread. That was the one I was thinking of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I just received a lottery spot. The price point is crazy high. Debating between it being my only race of the year or racing a few times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might consider the "SF Triathlon at Alcatraz" which is the competing race in August (I did both this past year and preferred it over EFA). Same swim, longer bike, shorter run. It's also about half the cost.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz 2017 [Ben_82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just found out I got in too. By random chance I'll be in San Francisco for work that weekend so that works out great. But the price is absurd. Still one the fence about registering but it is a bucket-list type thing for me. If I wasn't already there for work however I wouldn't even consider it.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz 2017 [rotosound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live close but have never had a desire to do the race, and with its new cost, makes this decision real easy

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz 2017 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I will throw the question out there again - did anyone NOT get in who wanted to do the race?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

They announced their lottery picks today for the second round and surprise- I got in. This was after 3 years of not getting in in a row before I got in the fourth (pre price increase!).

In looking at the numbers of people let in it looks like they let at least 3000 in on the first round, and now they have a second round.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz 2017 [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
So I will throw the question out there again - did anyone NOT get in who wanted to do the race?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

They announced their lottery picks today for the second round and surprise- I got in. This was after 3 years of not getting in in a row before I got in the fourth (pre price increase!).

In looking at the numbers of people let in it looks like they let at least 3000 in on the first round, and now they have a second round.

I was the one who started the first thread this summer about how their numbers are tanking following their greedy price increase.

OK, since I am sitting on a plane for another 2 hours I just copied and pasted the list into excel to get a count. It took less than 5 minutes.

In the second round of the lottery they offered entry to 2549 when I searched by US but eliminated Canada and 278 when I searched "CA" but eliminated " US" as a country, and 150 for Mexico for 2977 people offered entry on the second round. That probably misses a lot of European and South Americans. Someone with better excel skills could do better than my count.

To all the posters in my previous round who thought they were trying to keep the numbers on the course low I would love to see your reasoning.

My prediction is this race is unfortunately going down the toilet due to their greed. Betting under 1100 racers this year, anyone want to bet?
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz 2017 [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:
You might consider the "SF Triathlon at Alcatraz" which is the competing race in August (I did both this past year and preferred it over EFA). Same swim, longer bike, shorter run. It's also about half the cost.

Pretty sure if Tri California is dead that race is dead too. I don't think Tri California is putting on any races next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz 2017 [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really too bad about SF Tri. I loved it and it was half the cost.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz 2017 [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got the email. $780.00 is more than I want to spend on that race + travel and all the other expenses. Not registering.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz 2017 [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alien wrote:
Got the email. $780.00 is more than I want to spend on that race + travel and all the other expenses. Not registering.

Agreed! I can't justify the cost with airfare and accommodations.
Quote Reply

Prev Next