Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Epicman Lake Placid June 9/10 2016- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1)
Quote | Reply
OK, pulling up an old thread since I don't want to re write for the 17th year in a row....nothing changes for 2015 other than dates. Actually a few minor changes for the Thursday evening options. We have learned through trial and error that summitting Whiteface on tri bikes with negative braking in cold New York thunderstorms is not a great idea. The backup plan is a reverse loop with a toll gate climb, or a 2 hour run...whatever everyone agrees to. If we do the 2 hour run, then we shorten the running on Friday's "main event". Preference is the cycling "prologue" option. Other than that, everything stays the same....see below

Looks like I need a Director of Marketing for this stupidity because clearly I am doing a much better job marketing semiconductors than an outrageous round of training for the 17th year in row.
Dev

------------------------------

This is what I wrote in 2012.

Hey guys,

I've intentionally avoided posting much about Epicman, hoping that we end up with a smaller group given that Lake Placid is a bit sensitive about skinny guys with shaved legs in large groups inundating their town. But for the 14th year, we are on for Epicman. My life has been crazy busy with a variety of professional and family related items and wasting time in different forms of medical rehab to get over last year's crash injuries is not helping with available time, but here we go....I'm largely copying as pasting from last year.....CHRIS GLEASON WILL BE MISSED!!!

-------------------------------

Whiteface + Epicman June 4/5 Lake Placid

Some of you guys have been asking for details on our annual Epicman training day outing to Lake Placid to �scout out the IMLP race course�. There are enough vets kicking around that you can ask questions, but I promised to post something in the last few weeks of lead up, so here we go. If you post more questions on this thread, myself or others who have gone can get you answers on how things work.

This is your chance to pay homage to ST celebrities like Chris G (this is copied from last year...he'll be missed....we'll try to pay homage anyway) of Kalber, or Murphy's Law who can make you hurt on the bike or in the bar! Coach Patrick McCrann may also make a celebrity appearance.

In today�s triathlon era of 365 day advanced sellouts, 6 day hotel minimums, catered training camps, training by numbers, on line live event coverage and designer nutrition programs, there are some things that actually have not changed.

Stripping things to the bare essence, triathlon is about you, the water, the bike and some running shoes.

When Collins and the boys did the first Ironman in the late 70�s that�s what it was. A bunch of guys getting together and pushing themselves over what seems like an insurmountable distance.

We�re now on year 14 of Epicman in Lake Placid

Epicman is a grass roots training day with a bunch of guys and girls getting together to train on the course fully self supported.
No registration, no timing, no awards, no aid stations, no on course neutral support vehicle. Imagine yourself out there training all day on the Ironman Lake Placid course. Now add a bunch of like minded people that just happen to show up to join in on the fun.

Course

We cover ~3K of swimming in 50 minutes (or beach to beach to beach, whatever gets you out close to 50 minutes ), 180K of riding and 21K of running. Since this year the out and back is closed due to construction, on each loop we'll climb up to the whiteface toll gate (EDIT: this is cut and paste from last year....out and back section to be finalized soon....may be toll gate may be the second out and back we used in 2010, or one of each). This will make the ride tougher than the actual race day at Ironman Lake Placid. Run starts after you are done the ride on the IMLP course. You can do as much or as little as you want. If you finish the full 50 min swim, full 2loop bike with 2 climbs to the toll gate and full 21.1K run, my friend Chris Macknie has a surprise gift for you.

Who do I ride with?

Contrary to previous years, we won�t have any large groups aiming at 5:30, 6:00, 6:30. Just grab a group of 3-5 friends or jump in with some other folks and ride together. Quite frankly the intimacy of a small group of people works out better than being in a train with 30-50 people, and we consume less road space which is a good thing given that local drivers don�t like to take a detour around skinny guys in lycra with shaved legs�.everyone wins with smaller groups on the road.

Other Details

Here are the rest of the details for the training day:
This is a self supported grass roots training day that I concocted in 1999 and we want to keep the same spirit. There are lots of organized camps that you can pay big $$$ for much higher service. I�m just inviting you to train on the same day as a bunch of us.

Things we will do and you should know of:

1. It is self supported...bring your own nutrition
  2. Your car is your Tzone....park it by the beach
  3. Swim starts at 6 am , June 5, 2015 at Mirror Lake
  4. Bike starts at 7 am sharp
  5. Please ride on the right side of the road
  6. Bring a pump and patch kit. There is no support and no one to bail you out. Imagine that you are going to ride solo.
  7. You can stop wherever you want with your friends for breaks. Consult the guys and gals in your group on where they want to stop
  8. Do not attack the bike course, pace yourself out and have consideration for the guys you are riding with. Try to ride with people of similar ability. If you are a 10 hour guy, don�t ride with 13 hour guys and hammer them into the ground
  9. Put some "aid" on the run course by the horse crossing sign on River Road fofr the run...assume that whatever you put out there might be consumed by others
  10. Bring your breakfast, there is nothing open at 5 am in LP on Friday
  11. There is no cost and no timing. This is just a group of dudes arriving at the same place at the same time to train.
  12. Bring digital cameras and take lots of pictures....you could be the star of the post event write up
  13. If you have not done an Ironman before and if you think that you cannot finish Epicman in 9 hours or so, it is highly recommended that you cut the run short. It is better to do that than to do an 11+ hour training day and be shelled for all of June which is your key month for Ironman LP. You pretty well need to be "trained" to race LP next weekend to do this day and recover quickly.
  14. Bring extra goodies in your car to share with other athletes: gels, coke, chips, pretzels, banana, gatorade, water, infinit, chocolate bars, old pizza...whatever you think might help yourself and other get through.
  15. Pack all your nutrition for the day and have bags for gear for each sport just like you would do for an Ironman...easier to find in your car which WILL become a mess if you share the cars with another athlete.
  16. You can do as much or as little of the day as you wish. No one to report to but yourself. Drafting, fins, neoprene socks and gloves, all of which might get you DQ�d on race day are permitted. In fact, get it out of your system NOW!!! If you have a loved one to give you outside assistance, no worries. If you want to draft a transport truck riding up through High Falls Gorge, no one will stop you J

Since this is a training day where you do everything yourself, there has, nor will there ever be a cost or registration.

Whiteface Mountain Hillclimb on Thursday Evening

If you can get to Lake Placid early come join us for a climb of Whiteface mountain on Thursday at 4:30 pm from the tennis courts at Mirror Lake beach. This climb is identical to Alpe D�Huez in difficulty and duration and elevartion�.just less switchbacks and more steady climbing. Times range from 50 minutes to 75 min or so. Perhaps one of the best rides in the North East that many triathletes never do. This is your chance. Many of us do the Whiteface climb and the Epicman swim+bike, and do a shorter run�.you�re choice. But if you go to Lake Placid enough, not doing Whiteface is a missed opportunity. Recommended gearing is 34x27 or a triple, although you can survive grinding it out in a 39x25. You can read about the 2009 climb here:

http://www.xtri.com/...p;CAT=27&xref=xx

Some guys may also do a single loop for the IMLP course

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jun 5, 16 18:21
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in! First time coming to LP for Epicman.

Dev, in #3, you mean June 8th, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [dmorris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, cut and past error....Friday June 8th for the swim at 6 am (who is the idiot that picked that start time????) at Mirror Lake. Seems like the time was picked in 1999 and it has stayed fixed!
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The MLSC Whiteface Prologue will leave more like 4:10, 4:15 the *latest*. We don't hang around until 4:30. Sorry.

Be there, ready to ride, by 4 sharp.

Or meet us down at Wilmington at the stop sign by no later than say 4:45, if you want to ride w the main group.
(which for all I know, may just be myself, KAlber, and Dev)

So, if you are one of the dumbasses (er, I mean intrepid souls) who thinks that a 2.5 hour ride, with nearly a full hour of climbing at threshold - finishing less than 12 hours before doing 80% of an Iron-distance event TOTALLY SELF-SUPPORTED - is a great idea, then come out and play.

What's the worst thing that could happen? ;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I won't be there for Epicman, but I'm joining the masses for the weekend. My buddy is training for IMLP. I, on the other hand am leading a balanced life. Accordingly, I will be in LP Brewery saturday afternoon and evening. If any Epicmen hang around, your first Ubu Ale is on me.

Otherwise, enjoy!
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Northwoods Inn is too much or too rough, try the Wildwood on the Lake. My buddy Stuart owns it and is a great guy and they have rooms. 518 523 2624
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey ML....I needed to move the start time for the Whiteface climb to 4:30 pm. This is to account for your Canadian friends getting through the US border, especially the ones with dark skin. We all know there is no racial profiling at the border, but just in case there are "other reasons" to detain a triathlete, then we have some buffer. As an FYI, I have a US L1 visa now which means the border guys waive me through because I am actually entitled to work in the US, because aparently I have a skill that no one in the entire US can fill in the semiconductor industry (something like 1000 pages of paperwork, by too many lawyers). So the nice guys at US Immigration have granted me this "status"....so there is no reason why my vehicle should be detained :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I 'see' your stupidity and raise you two.

Assuming I survive the MLSC and Epicman, Mrs. Rolldown and I will be doing the Rideau Lakes Cycle Tour on Saturday and Sunday. 180k to 220k of riding per day, depending on the routes we choose. My taint is getting sore just thinking about this...

P.S. I will bail on the Whiteface climb if it's raining at the start. For a wimp like me, that descent is scary enough on dry roads...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let us know how long you can hold dmorris' wheel. Dude's a stud.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [Rolldown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rolldown wrote:
I 'see' your stupidity and raise you two.

Assuming I survive the MLSC and Epicman, Mrs. Rolldown and I will be doing the Rideau Lakes Cycle Tour on Saturday and Sunday. 180k to 220k of riding per day, depending on the routes we choose. My taint is getting sore just thinking about this...

P.S. I will bail on the Whiteface climb if it's raining at the start. For a wimp like me, that descent is scary enough on dry roads...

And this would any different than any other year *how*?
;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, ok - 4:30:00.0001 we roll.

You score any Dev-sized discounts at Northwoods and/or Art Devlin's this year? If so, what's the secret code to give to reservations?

PS - eganski, is your buddy doing Whiteface with us?
He'll probably drop me like a hot rock, I'm (relatively, not tetsuoni-ly) weak and fat at the moment.

PPS - rolldown - you and the Kona Queen always win the Stupid Human Tricks part of the whole weekend.
Nobody can trump your tacking on 2 more huge saddle days like that.
Nor would they want to. Holy monkey-butt, Green Lantern!!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know. My only interaction with the guy was when he emasculated me in a race last month by passing and asking "are you the leader" and didn't even have the courtesy to wait and hear my reply, which was "no, you are."

Is jerry devil going to Epicman? I have to do this one day, being around you guys is just awesome. Even if Dev is there.

Maybe next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike- I booked Northwoods a few weeks ago using this:

Rooms have been discounted for training athletes in May, June and early July.
Call and request the Ironman Training Rate (IRTR). Rates are as follows:

• May 1 – May 31, 2012, $74.00* Guest Rooms, $94.00* Kitchenette Suites
  • June 1 – June 30, 2012, $94.00* Guest Rooms, $114.00* Kitchenette Suites
  • July 1 – July 15th, 2012, $104.00* Guest Rooms, $124.00* Kitchenettes Suites
Call 518-523-1818, or use the rate code IRTR to make reservations and to confirm accommodations.
Last edited by: stillrollin: Jun 4, 12 11:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any hint of rain, and I won't be going up WF (still traumatized by the past weeken'd whiteknuckle hypothermic descent of Moosezilla), but if it is fine, I want to do it and remember some good time with Chris. I may actually bring my road bike for the festivities to take some pressure off my neck. If I rde with the 28 mm balloon tires at 70 psi would it be acceptable to set the pace for the broom wagon crowd?
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
My only interaction with the guy was when he emasculated me in a race last month by passing and asking "are you the leader" and didn't even have the courtesy to wait and hear my reply, which was "no, you are."

I heard you! Made me smile. It's nice to know you've got the same wit in person that you do online. Sorry, I was really confused at that point because I thought I was in third, but I was expecting you to be leading because you crushed the swim and I know you're strong on the bike. I lost count somewhere or missed someone or something like that, hence the question.

I probably won't make it up in time for the Whiteface prologue so I'll have an unfair advantage on Friday. Plus, I'm planning on being a baby and only running 5 or 6 miles off the bike because I want to be able to ride Saturday as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Ok, ok - 4:30:00.0001 we roll.

PS - eganski, is your buddy doing Whiteface with us?

What time would that put you in Wilmington then? I'm not staying in LP and might be able to make it to the stop sign at the bottom of the climb by 5 depending on traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [dmorris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmorris wrote:
eganski wrote:
My only interaction with the guy was when he emasculated me in a race last month by passing and asking "are you the leader" and didn't even have the courtesy to wait and hear my reply, which was "no, you are."

I heard you! Made me smile. It's nice to know you've got the same wit in person that you do online. Sorry, I was really confused at that point because I thought I was in third, but I was expecting you to be leading because you crushed the swim and I know you're strong on the bike. I lost count somewhere or missed someone or something like that, hence the question.

I probably won't make it up in time for the Whiteface prologue so I'll have an unfair advantage on Friday. Plus, I'm planning on being a baby and only running 5 or 6 miles off the bike because I want to be able to ride Saturday as well.

You're lucky that Chris G is not around. Declaring yourself on the dreaded "tapered list" is a long standing Epicman Faux Pas!!! Better to show up on Thu PM and be a man and stand up to the jeers of going "tapered list" as the real men ascend whiteface in 39F horizontal rain and lightening while the boys do a reverse loop. If you are going on the tapered list, it is important to be man enough to take the verbal abuse for the entire duration. You have to earn your way on the tapered list by taking the abuse, you can't just "sneak on the tapered list" without the constant verbal bashing.

Who is doing to step up and fill the giant shoes of Chris G as chief "tapered list" cop????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just after 5, most likely.
IIRC, it's a little over 30 mins rolling time to get down to the stop sign. Figger another coupla 2-3 mins to ditch extraneous gear in the bushes there, pee, whatever.

If you're there wheels-down by 5:05-ish you should be fine.
Worst case - you start after us, and have some rabbits for a little while.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
You're lucky that Chris G is not around. Declaring yourself on the dreaded "tapered list" is a long standing Epicman Faux Pas!!! Better to show up on Thu PM and be a man and stand up to the jeers of going "tapered list" as the real men ascend whiteface in 39F horizontal rain and lightening while the boys do a reverse loop. If you are going on the tapered list, it is important to be man enough to take the verbal abuse for the entire duration. You have to earn your way on the tapered list by taking the abuse, you can't just "sneak on the tapered list" without the constant verbal bashing.

Who is doing to step up and fill the giant shoes of Chris G as chief "tapered list" cop????

Ha, it looks like you're well on your way to filling those shoes! Is the only way to get off the tapered list to ride on Thursday late afternoon? I can assure I will NOT be tapered for Friday. TSB is currently -35 (aka pretty heavily fatigued if you don't do WKO+ speak), and I've got some serious meat on the bone the next few days prior to driving up on Thursday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dmorris wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Ha, it looks like you're well on your way to filling those shoes! Is the only way to get off the tapered list to ride on Thursday late afternoon? I can assure I will NOT be tapered for Friday. TSB is currently -35 (aka pretty heavily fatigued if you don't do WKO+ speak), and I've got some serious meat on the bone the next few days prior to driving up on Thursday.

Technically the only way to officially get off the tapered list is to climb WF faster than ML. Anyone who climbs WF slower than ML is on the taper list, but has some honour on account of climbing. Anyone who does not climb at all gets continuously mocked for the next 24 hours. Having missed the climbed the last 2 years straight, I have taken my fair share of "tapered list beating". The shame of that alone and the desire to remember Chris by making a return trip to the summit is motivating me to avoid the tapered list...heck the last 2 years I have done Moooseman and I was told that I could only milk that till Tuesday after which, I'm shoved on the dreaded tapered list. This is not a category that you want to fall into. It takes around 364 days for one's manliness to recover (or not)!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry I am going miss it.... Going to Eagleman

e.dot was the "bestest" thing I did in prep for IMLP

"if you chose it, it's not really pain"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Any hint of rain, and I won't be going up WF

a bunch of fools said the same thing last year...and yet there we were descending in the pouring rain (and freezing).

I will be going up come hell or very high water. my brakes work and my forearms are strong (insert joke here).

btw...the forecast doesn't look so hot.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KAlber wrote:
Quote:
Any hint of rain, and I won't be going up WF

a bunch of fools said the same thing last year...and yet there we were descending in the pouring rain (and freezing).

I will be going up come hell or very high water. my brakes work and my forearms are strong (insert joke here)
btw...the forecast doesn't look so hot.

3rd time's the charm??
It cant be any worse than last year, right? Right??

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

i suppose it could hail...that would be worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid June 7/8- Whiteface (13K, 1100m vertical) + Epicman (3/180/21.1) [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KAlber wrote:
Quote:

i suppose it could hail...that would be worse.

Locusts? Dogs and cats living together? Lightning strike?

The one way it for sure could get worse:
Us - "Chris!! Holy crap! How did you get here?!?!!"
Chris - " uh, fellas - bad news. It's how did *you* get *here*..."

Much as I look forward to seeing Chris again some day, I'll need to remind myself during the descent that "today is not that day".

float , hammer , and jog

Last edited by: Murphy'sLaw: Jun 4, 12 15:55
Quote Reply

Prev Next