Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Enve vs Zipp wheels
Quote | Reply
Considering new wheels for a road bike. Bike is Specialized Venge S-works. I'm looking at Enve SES 3.4 clinchers or the SES 6.7 clinchers versus Zipp 404 clinchers. I would have the Enve's built yup with the chris king R45 hubs. Thoughts? Feedback? Pros and Cons of one versus other? Also the decision of the 3.4 or the 6.7's on the Enve? Looking for these wheels for racing and high speed work. I have other sets of wheels for everyday riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve vs Zipp wheels [Drummon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What type of racing will you be doing? Lots of climbing? I went ENVE's because of the 5 year warranty over Zipps 2 year. The 6.7's are an awesome wheelset in my opinion, only way I'd go with the 3.4s is if I was racing a lot of mountain stages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Completely agree with other poster and also LOVE my Enve 6.7s! I have power tap in mine, yet they are really light, fast and corner exceptionally well. Have had Zipp in the past and prefer the Enve by a large margin.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Enve vs Zipp wheels [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
I went ENVE's because of the 5 year warranty over Zipps 2 year.

I was just going to say that you should consider the wheel set with the better warranty.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve vs Zipp wheels [Bull_Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus something about the Enve wheels makes them so much more beautiful. Perhaps its the fact you dont see them on every single race rig, but whatever it is they're gorgeous.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve vs Zipp wheels [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second Gary on this one. I also had some issues with my Zipps flexing in turns.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve vs Zipp wheels [pndflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if I have some zipp 808's that I currently use for ironman racing on my trek speed concept tri bike. How are the enve 6.7 setup compared to zipp 808's? Should I invest in the 6.7 or go more toward the 3.4 since I have those 808's already? Mostly flat course road racing
Quote Reply
Re: Enve vs Zipp wheels [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Show me some drag data from wind tunnel tests between the Enve 6.7s and the current Zipp 404 carbon clinchers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drummon wrote:
What if I have some zipp 808's that I currently use for ironman racing on my trek speed concept tri bike. How are the enve 6.7 setup compared to zipp 808's? Should I invest in the 6.7 or go more toward the 3.4 since I have those 808's already? Mostly flat course road racing

6.7s... Then you can use them on really windy days for your tt bike as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve vs Zipp wheels [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 6.7's wouldn't be "too much" for my road bike??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drummon wrote:

You would be comparing the SES 8.9 with the 808. I had 808's last season and 8.9's this year. The Enve's are noticeable more stable/ predictable in the wind!

D

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a new 2014 zipp super 9, has about 180 miles. My chain derailed once, caught in between the chainstay and scratched the side of the super 9 up. Zipp recommended me to take it into nearest dealer to have them send it in. Zipp offered crash replacement at first($1200), but then we determined it was structurally sound so they offered repairs for $60/hr for about 7-8hrs and it wouldn't even look new. I declined both offers from lack of funds and went to pick my super 9 up from my Local bike shop. Upon inspection I found it has a 2mm chip in the rim bed with carbon cloth spewing out, it is out of true, and it has developed hop(not perfectly round). I have no way to prove the bike shop fucked my wheel up either so I just basically lost $2500. My chain had no problem cutting 1mm into the carbon and through the first layer. Only god knows what they did to do all this damage to such a bombproof wheel.....

You buy Zipps and this is a risk you take. Pretty bad warranty deal if you ask me although Zipp said they will get better warranty coverage in the future...
Last edited by: masa757: Jul 29, 14 16:51
Quote Reply
Re: Enve vs Zipp wheels [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So for a road bike you would like the 6.7 over the 3.4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend you take a look at Boyd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drummon wrote:
Considering new wheels for a road bike. Bike is Specialized Venge S-works. I'm looking at Enve SES 3.4 clinchers or the SES 6.7 clinchers versus Zipp 404 clinchers. I would have the Enve's built yup with the chris king R45 hubs. Thoughts? Feedback? Pros and Cons of one versus other? Also the decision of the 3.4 or the 6.7's on the Enve? Looking for these wheels for racing and high speed work. I have other sets of wheels for everyday riding.

I've had all 3 sets.

Road racing/hills: ENVE 3.4s
RR/crits: 6.7s

For all around everyday, 3.4s.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve vs Zipp wheels [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
Show me some drag data from wind tunnel tests between the Enve 6.7s and the current Zipp 404 carbon clinchers.

WIND TUNNEL DATA - WHEELSET IN FRAME http://enve.com/...6-7-clincher-ses67c/
All testing of the Smart ENVE System wheels were performed using Vittoria 23c and Continental 22c tires. All comparisons: 40 kph (Normalized and aparatus drag removed)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drummon wrote:
The 6.7's wouldn't be "too much" for my road bike??

No. But the 3.4s are less susceptible to wind. I prefer the 3.4s for everyday and use the 6.7s for road races/crits. Both CC with CK45. ... and 25mm tires match well on these.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve vs Zipp wheels [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Enve all the way. Better support and warranty, better in crosswinds, can be bought as rims so you don't have to use cruddy OEM hubs - can choose your own and Zipp are notorious for using too low spoke tension. Oh, and +1 on Enve's looking cooler too. Enve's are easily the best value rims and wheels on the market ATM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that beautiful, useful chart :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
weird thing graph on 8.9 looks different
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are the Hed wheels in the key curiously missing from the graph?
Quote Reply
Re: Enve vs Zipp wheels [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Possibly comparison of clinchers only.
HED Stinger is tubular.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at the November Rail, too. A little shallower at 52mm, but nice and WAY cheaper.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great Data! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the use.... climbing A LOT or ride a lot of crits maybe 3.4 but all other applications 6.7!

D

Drummon wrote:
So for a road bike you would like the 6.7 over the 3.4

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next