Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Enve Vs Zipp [3xBAMF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I own a set of ENVE 6.7's and they are great. I ride them every day and have never once had a problem. I've been on them for 2 years now. ENVE actually expects you and prefers that you ride them for training and not just race days. I would recommend ENVE over other brands to anyone looking for a great set of wheels. I am planning on upgrading to the 8.9's for next season.

-Cervelo-Shimano-Asics-NormatecMVP-GU-BlueSeventy-XlabUSA-Skins-Polar-Vittoria-Trico Sports-Skins-3T-CarbonPro Sports-Pioneer PowerMeter-BodyArmor-TriTats-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my 6.7 clinchers. My friend's 404FCs are fantastic wheels, and I would be perfectly happy with either, but I went with ENVE because of the fantastic warranty and the bombproof build quality that I've already seen on other ENVE wheels. The 6.7 decals are a nice touch (gloss black on matte carbon), and I also like that there aren't a lot of ENVE wheelsets out there - they help make my bike a little bit unique.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Vs Zipp [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Enve 8.9 with powertap G3 and they are fantastic...no need to run a disc. However, I do regret not waiting until the Clinchers come out.

I really can't see a single advantage to running Tubs now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like Zipp is the way to go if I wanted a wheel to race AND train on.

Really scratching my head at how you came to that conclusion.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Vs Zipp [sesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sesel wrote:
I put some time on the only set of 8.9 clinchers available (wih DT Swiss 190 ceramic hubs)

What's the retail on those, eh? Popularity of a $3500+ wheelset will likely be limited.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian has great points listed.

Consider also ENVE SMart System is the only wheel designed with the bike and rider in the wind tunnel. Other wheels are designed alone (no bike, no rider, just wheel). To get a true complete aerodynamic picture, one must take into consideration what forces are acting upon the wheel from wind flow around the bike. ENVE used 6 different bikes I believe.

They are also the only wheel where the front and rear rim shapes are designed independently. Also important as the forces on the front and rear wheel are different.

I bought ENVEs for my personal bike. Just got my 6.7 SMS clinchers. Have only ridden them around the block, but braking is solid--very very close to my aluminum rims. Will take them up and down Mt Lemmon this weekend.

Brian Grasky
Grasky Endurance: World Championship Triathlon Coaching; Professional Training Camps
RETUL fitter, Biomechanist, USAT Level 3 Coach, USAC Level 2 Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Vs Zipp [seebritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 >Other wheels are designed alone (no bike, no rider, just wheel).

I don't believe this is a true statement. I've both read and heard statements from HED and Zipp personnel that lead me to believe they're acutely aware of the interaction of wheel-bike-rider. ENVE may do it better and more completely, but I don't believe Zipp wheels are desigend "alone."
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Vs Zipp [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm open to being proven wrong, but haven't seen any data that says that. Post-design testing...yes. But I understand the CFD and other design analyses were wheels-only.

Brian Grasky
Grasky Endurance: World Championship Triathlon Coaching; Professional Training Camps
RETUL fitter, Biomechanist, USAT Level 3 Coach, USAC Level 2 Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Vs Zipp [aftereffector] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aftereffector wrote:
I love my 6.7 clinchers. My friend's 404FCs are fantastic wheels, and I would be perfectly happy with either, but I went with ENVE because of the fantastic warranty and the bombproof build quality that I've already seen on other ENVE wheels.

Nice. What's enve's wheel warranty?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Vs Zipp [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5 years

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Vs Zipp [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
5 years

Impressive.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Vs Zipp [seebritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seebritri wrote:
I'm open to being proven wrong, but haven't seen any data that says that. Post-design testing...yes. But I understand the CFD and other design analyses were wheels-only.

That's an absurd statement. Do you realize the impossibility of running a rotational-translational problem on a complete bike and adding in a bike and rider?

The *PRIMARY* CFD work Zipp does is certainly for wheel alone, because the front wheel has essentially zero interaction with the rider, and interaction with the frame itself doesn't change a great deal about how the wheel performs overall. That is, the fastest design will still be the fastest, regardless of fork shape (within reason).

This also highlights what the consensus is from folks I have talked to who have ridden ENVE wheels - at higher yaws, the wheels are much more difficult to handle than Zipps. This because, while Simon Smart is a lot of things, he's not a team of engineers. It's great that ENVE bandies about his F1 credentials, but they aren't actually any better than Michael Hall, who was the engineer behind the Firecrest shape, who spent his pre-Zipp career designing Indy car wings.

The Firecrest wheels focused on a real problem - wheel stability - and they solved it by partnering with Dr. Matthew Godo of Intelligent Light, who was the first person EVER to solve a rotational-translational problem in CFD (a wheel that is spinning that's also moving through space).

A CFD model that considers bike+rider developed by a company of ENVE's size (and budget) is going to absurdly simplistic. If that's how they actually developed their wheels, I'm shocked.

ENVE makes "nice" wheels. But if you think the engineering development of their wheels is even a shadow of Zipp's process, you are very mistaken.

As far as wheels go, the ENVEs are aerodynamically fast and apparently made well. The consensus I've heard, however, from numerous riders, is that they handle quite poorly in crosswinds.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Vs Zipp [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
seebritri wrote:

That's an absurd statement. Do you realize the impossibility of running a rotational-translational problem on a complete bike and adding in a bike and rider?

The *PRIMARY* CFD work Zipp does is certainly for wheel alone, because the front wheel has essentially zero interaction with the rider, and interaction with the frame itself doesn't change a great deal about how the wheel performs overall. That is, the fastest design will still be the fastest, regardless of fork shape (within reason).

This also highlights what the consensus is from folks I have talked to who have ridden ENVE wheels - at higher yaws, the wheels are much more difficult to handle than Zipps. This because, while Simon Smart is a lot of things, he's not a team of engineers. It's great that ENVE bandies about his F1 credentials, but they aren't actually any better than Michael Hall, who was the engineer behind the Firecrest shape, who spent his pre-Zipp career designing Indy car wings.

The Firecrest wheels focused on a real problem - wheel stability - and they solved it by partnering with Dr. Matthew Godo of Intelligent Light, who was the first person EVER to solve a rotational-translational problem in CFD (a wheel that is spinning that's also moving through space).

A CFD model that considers bike+rider developed by a company of ENVE's size (and budget) is going to absurdly simplistic. If that's how they actually developed their wheels, I'm shocked.

ENVE makes "nice" wheels. But if you think the engineering development of their wheels is even a shadow of Zipp's process, you are very mistaken.

As far as wheels go, the ENVEs are aerodynamically fast and apparently made well. The consensus I've heard, however, from numerous riders, is that they handle quite poorly in crosswinds.

bobby11 - You asked how I came to the conclusion about the zipps?
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Vs Zipp [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The consensus I've heard, however, from numerous riders, is that they handle quite poorly in crosswinds.

As I own both Enve 3.4s and Zipp Firecrest 404s (and have considerable miles on each), I can assure you that any difference in crosswind handling is not noticeable in the least. To say that the Enves "handle quite poorly in crosswinds" is, to borrow your own words, "an absurd statement." Further, I've done quite a number of time trials with a Zipp 808 front wheel and find it to be no less dicey (and, in fact, thought it was MORE dicey) in crosswinds than any other front wheel of similar depth I've used (Jet 9, Bontrager 7).

For some perspective on Jordan's perspective, please keep in mind the following (which he should disclose when he posts on such matters): http://www.zipp.com/...triathlon/jordanrapp

I have no such affiliations.

Stay aero my friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride Hed Jets. Have had issues blowing spokes on both Heds and Zipps (clydesdale versions-- I weigh 200 lbs even). Mad Fiber products look tempting, as well as Hed 3s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3xBAMF wrote:

Nice try. Your conclusion was a guess based on ENVE user reviews & had nothing to do with the material that Rapp posted.

Last edited by: Jamaican: Dec 17, 12 8:20
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Vs Zipp [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamaican wrote:
3xBAMF wrote:

Nice try. Your conclusion was a guess based on ENVE user reviews & had nothing to do with the material that Rapp posted.

"The 404FC/CC has a great carbon clincher rim, maybe better than Enve's - but for a race wheelset you really don't want to use the brakes anymore than absolutely necessary, so as long as they aren't going to be training wheels as well I wouldn't worry overmuch about that. Get some good brake pads that you feel comfortable with and you should be fine."

"To the OP - the zipps will probably be more stable in nasty crosswinds, though at that depth most of us wouldn't be bothered by either wheel at all."

"The 808 is simply amazing. It's easy to handle in the wind (even at <140lbs), light, great braking, and clincher"

"Ridden both and own the Zipp 404 FC CC and the 808 FC CC - no noticeable difference btw Enve and Zipp IMO....they are both phenomenal wheels (aero, stiff, fast, reliable/strong)."

That is how I came to my opinion. Everything aside, I have NO doubt that Envy makes a bad ass wheel. But that bad ass wheel is $500 more than a new pair of Zipps. I can get a set of Zipp 808 FC's for under $2k (last year version) but cannot find ANY discounted Envy wheels. The comparable is $3,500 or so and I can't justify paying $1,500 more for Envy when the margins are so close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see. So Rapp's response was icing on the cake. Hopefully you get that refund from KS.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the end of the day neither wheelset will cost you a race. I do agree with you that zipps can normally be found cheaper (right word for $2700+ wheelsets?) than enve and that would push me toward the zipps. I use my 404 cc as an everyday wheel. I only switch out the tires for races.
That said, if I had to purchase again I would have gone for the 808. It is in my opinion far superior to the 404. I'd love to give the bonty 7 or 9 clincher a try too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jamaican wrote:
I see. So Rapp's response was icing on the cake. Hopefully you get that refund from KS.

I realize Rapp is sponsored by Zipp and in a way "should" represent them and push their product but there is really no reason he would be required to jump into this forum and offer his $.02. I trust his opinion and his insight on the rationale behind Zipp.

I just wish I had more money so I could buy them both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah he did make some good points about the CFD modelling process. It wouldn't be a bad idea to try and find someone local with a set & test ride them. It might be a long shot, but who knows.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jamaican wrote:
Yeah he did make some good points about the CFD modelling process. It wouldn't be a bad idea to try and find someone local with a set & test ride them. It might be a long shot, but who knows.

Sports Basement (Bay Area, California) does have a set of 808 FC's that can be used as a demo. I'm thinking about see what that will cost but I'll tell ya....TriSports is selling the rear 404 for under $1200 which is a good deal. Sports Basement has last years 808 FC's for $1300 - 20% on a promotional night. The choice is just so damn hard when you can only buy 1 wheelset and to me....it's a very expensive investment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipps are definitely a little cheaper (well quite a bit in most cases). I was lucky enough to pick up a set of the 6.7's w/ G3 powertap through my tri team at a very good price so that is the route I went. Last season I rode a set of 808FC and loved them but decided to skip the 404's and go straight to the ENVE wheels because I liked the look of the wheel more (let's be honest that this is likely the most important factor for 95% of us) and the 5 year warranty just made sense for this kind of investment. I just wish my wheels got here faster (should be coming this week).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reason you're seeing Firecrest rear wheels so deeply discounted is that they're mostly 2011 models that Zipp will not accept for their upgrade program to make them Shimano 11-speed compatible. They will accept 2012 Firecrest rear wheels for upgrade, but nothing before (despite the fact that there's no real difference in hub that would make the upgrade more of a challenge except that they don't want to get into the hassle of dealing with older wheels that may have other issues that would make re-dishing more challenging). Apparently, they've worked out an arrangement with Wheelbuilder.com to do upgrades of older model Firecrest wheels. Zipp wants $250 for the upgrade. You pay shipping to them. They cover return shipping. I don't know what Wheelbuilder will be charging. Anyway, the new 2013 wheels that are already Shimano 11-speed compatible are already in stores.

I spoke with Enve last week about upgrading my 3.4s to be Shimano 11-speed compatible. I have the DT 240 hubs. There's a new freehub body that's available for something like $90. Technically, the wheel should also be re-dished, but if you don't, you'll only be out by 1 mm and, with a small derailleur adjustment, there should be no discernable effect if you don't re-dish.

As for the price, I can certainly understand that consideration. Wheel prices are just totally insane. But you don't have to buy Enve's from Enve and there are places out there that have them at far better prices. It's worth a call to Fairwheel Bikes (www.fairwheelbikes.com) to get a quote. They offer quite a lot of build options and seem to have very good pricing. There are others.
Last edited by: bobby11: Dec 17, 12 9:49
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Vs Zipp [fasterisbetter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody know this about enve 6.7s or 8.9s:

I know the front and rear rims are different in width, but does that include the brake track? I.e., is the front brake track slightly wider than the rear brake track?

--
Quote Reply

Prev Next