Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Enlighten me on power meters
Quote | Reply
Need help. bought a stages ultegra power meter a month ago. Then realized the ultegra is not compatible with SRAM, which is what I have for my drive system. So the main question is, all my componets are SRAM, so what kind of power meter do I need to get? Riding on a 2011 Trek equinox.
Quote Reply
Re: Enlighten me on power meters [xcchampion11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the Quarq works well with Sram. But my recommendation is to take it to your dealer and let him tell you what is, and what is not compatible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you just get a SRAM compatible Stages like this:
https://store.stagescycling.com/Stages-Power-Meter-Stages-Carbon-SRAM-Road-GXP

The link above goes to the GXP model, there is also a BB30 version.

rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or get an ultegra crank to match....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xcchampion11 wrote:
Need help. bought a stages ultegra power meter a month ago. Then realized the ultegra is not compatible with SRAM, which is what I have for my drive system. So the main question is, all my components are SRAM, so what kind of power meter do I need to get? Riding on a 2011 Trek equinox.

Pardon the long post. It sounds like you are just getting into the land of power meters, so I'll err on the side of over-explaining.

Power meters come in many flavors, the primary ones being crankset-based, pedal-based, and hub-based systems. With some very minor exceptions (more below), any of these will work with your bike. Putting a Shimano Ultegra crankset on an otherwise SRAM-equipped bike is mechanically fine, but for some folks it is aesthetically bothersome to mix components brands.

It sounds like you just bought the crankarm from Stages, not the entire crankset. If you want to stick with Stages, then you should either (a) buy a Shimano crankset, or (b) buy a SRAM model Stages power meter. You can get a Shimano Ultegra crankset from one of the UK sites for under $200, or buy one used in very good condition for roughly half that. Selling what you have and re-buying a SRAM unit would probably end up costing you somewhere in the same ballpark.

The choices above are the simplest. You can certainly look at other crank, pedal or hub based systems. Someone mentioned a Quarq (now owned by SRAM), and those are another good option for crank PMs. Power2Max is another. Garmin and PowerTap both sell pedal PM systems. Powertap pretty much rules the hub-based PM world. The only ones I would steer clear of are those that have a large pod on the backside of the crankarm. Some are a tight fit on certain Trek bikes and model years.

FYI, good resource here: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ide2016-edition.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sell the stages if I remember right it’s pretty much junk. Get a used powertap wheel for training. Then get a wheel cover for racing and you’ve a got a bullet proof power meter from a company with amazing customer service and you have a disk wheel that is basically as fast as most full disks for maybe 400-500 bucks.
Quote Reply