Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Endurance Nation Question
Quote | Reply
For anyone out there that has used endurance nation before. Do you find the training plans to be worth the coin. Trying to get back in to racing and have struggled lately with making my own plans. I was a competitive racer in college and have been trying to kluge together my own plan using Matt Fitzgerald runnings plans, trainer road bike plans, and then swim workouts from total immersion swimming. Currently doing around 12 hrs or training a week. Between 4 Runs 5 Bikes and 3 swims per week.

Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks.
CT
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance Nation Question [CT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The plans have been working well for me the last few months. I formerly built my own plans based on books and articles I found online, but I wanted to get more structured with my offseason training and their philosophy resonated. If you look around the website you can find some pieces on the philosophy -- knowing most of us have family constraints and limited time/energy to put into the sport, they focus on training ROI and putting hours where they matter most rather than logging big volume year round.

If I were focused on running only I think I could find better plans elsewhere for me, but their core tri plans (OutSeason, Get Faster, Half and Full IM) look well thought-out. They don't start with big volume until a few months before your goal race. The winter plan (OutSeason) has a lower volume, higher intensity bike/run focus with little swimming. With it this winter I've seen big gains in bike FTP and just ran a half marathon PR.

If you think it might be for you, but aren't sure, you could try a membership rather than buying a plan (members can use any of the plans). It's a lower commitment since a month's membership is cheaper than a plan, and you can get a free trial. You also would get access to the coaches to set up a season plan based on your goal races, and help you modify the weekly plans as needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full Transparency: Long time EN member (4+ years) currently taking a little time away from the team as I am focused solely on running. The EN base plans are built with a typical age grouper (job, family, social life, limited training time available) in mind. As has been mentioned, think lower volume / higher intensity in the 'winter months' and then the volume ramps up as your race gets closer. They also offer scale-able levels (beginner / intermediate / advanced) depending on how spicy you want your intensity. If that's the type of 'plan' you are looking for, I think they are solid.

For me (what keeps me coming back year after year), its the 'other stuff' / team support aspect of EN team membership (instead of a standalone plan). The team information sharing, support, and daily if not hourly interaction is where the real value for your dime is. Tons of great information based on actual historical team race data shared in a friendly, supportive way. Also, interested team mates are grouped together based on target races and similar phases of training to commiserate / emote to each other and cheer each other on as they discuss / post / complain about their daily workouts. Its a great place, if you are into that sort of thing.

They do offer a free, no-commitment trial membership (that you can turn on / off via the web) so there's no charge in taking a peek at what's going on inside. Good luck with whatever your decision is and hopefully you can find something that will help you achieve your goals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another long time EN member (7 years this summer). EN has plans for short course, half, full and others, with beginner, intermediate and advanced plans at each distance. With hundreds and hundreds of members (3 time WTC Division 1 tri-club of the year), and literally thousands of results, the plans evolve (i.e., get better) annually based on lessons learned. So yeah, the plans are worth the money, but the club offers far more than the plans which is why I'm still there.
Quote Reply