Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Endless Pool owners
Quote | Reply
How do you calculate distance swam? Or, how do you estimate?
Quote Reply
Re: Endless Pool owners [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I calculated my volume/pace with the digital readout of the water flow per 100 meters (sorry can't remember what it is called), a digital clock, a pace clock, and a swim chart like this one http://www.trinewbies.com/...o_swimpace_chart.asp.

For example, if I was swimming 500 yards, I would put the swim flow to 144/100 metes and swim 7:55 minutes take my rest and repeat.

It is probably just an estimate, but that's how I measured my distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't worry too much about distance in an Endless Pool. Instead I use time-based workouts - 5x1min fast on 30sec rest, or 2x8min steady with 30sec rest, etc.

If I want to convert a lap pool workout to the Endless Pool, I use 1:30 per 100, so for a 400 I would swim 6min in the Endless Pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a little give and take, but I created a chart similar to the info. below. Our pace clock is set for 100yd. All depends on your selected pace and desired distance.

200yd pace/time

1:10 pace / 2:20
1:15 pace / 2:30
1:20 pace / 2:40
1:25 pace / 2:50
1:30 pace / 3:00
1:35 pace / 3:10
1:40 pace / 3:20
1:45 pace / 3:30
1:50 pace / 3:40
1:55 pace / 3:50
2:00 pace / 4:00

400yd pace/time

1:10 pace / 4:40
1:15 pace / 5:00
1:20 pace / 5:20
1:25 pace / 5:40
1:30 pace / 6:00
1:35 pace / 6:20
1:40 pace / 6:40
1:45 pace / 7:00
1:50 pace / 7:20
1:55 pace / 7:40
2:00 pace / 8:00
Quote Reply
Re: Endless Pool owners [sweet_wtr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sweet_wtr wrote:
It's a little give and take, but I created a chart similar to the info. below. Our pace clock is set for 100yd. All depends on your selected pace and desired distance.

200yd pace/time

400yd pace/time

Very helpful, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my pool I have a watt meter, so I do swim training with power. I use bike power training techniques (Trainer Road). I train at power for time. If I really need distance, I count strokes. I can set my power from 50 to 999 watts.

I do not have an Endless pool but a Sentry Riverpool, same concept, different manufacturer.
Last edited by: PanamaRed: Oct 8, 15 10:09
Quote Reply
Re: Endless Pool owners [PanamaRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PanamaRed wrote:
On my pool I have a watt meter, so I do swim training with power. I use bike power training techniques (Trainer Road). I train at power for time. If I really need distance, I count strokes. I can set my power from 50 to 999 watts.

I do not have an Endless pool but a Sentry Riverpool, same concept, different manufacturer.

Do you have a link to that product? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless Pool owners [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those of you with Endless Pools, have you found them a good investment? My wife and I just bought a new house, with the intent of installing an EP as soon as we move in. Now that we're feeling the pain of closing costs etc., we're second guessing whether it's a wise use of our money. I love the idea and convenience factor, but I'm worried it's something that will either not last or won't get used as much as I imagine.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Endless Pool owners [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:
For those of you with Endless Pools, have you found them a good investment? My wife and I just bought a new house, with the intent of installing an EP as soon as we move in. Now that we're feeling the pain of closing costs etc., we're second guessing whether it's a wise use of our money. I love the idea and convenience factor, but I'm worried it's something that will either not last or won't get used as much as I imagine.

I can't talk much to how much you'll use it or even if it's worth the cost. As for longevity, in 2009, I bought one used here in Austin that was already over 10 years old. There's definitely some significant rust going, particularly at the bottom of the panels. I could replace some or all of them, though that would be a major cost. I expect that several years down the road it will give way and fall apart. All of the rest of the components (pump, motor, filter, etc.) are all cranking away with no problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:

If you ask for it, you can buy the optional digital swim meter which provides the velocity of the current in meters/sec so that you know precisely what speed you're swimming. See Dan's review on the Endless Pool web site:

http://www.endlesspools.com/...ng-swimming-pool.php

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PanamaRed wrote:

Can you explain how your power meter works? Does the power meter come from the Sentry Riverpool company or did you buy it separately?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:

Just for the hell of it, and b/c I haven't done any fluids calculations lately, I researched this further. Based on approx facts and figures from the EP web site, and using the fundamental principles of fluid flow:

Max Flow (Q) with their biggest propulsion unit = 5000 gal/min x 1 ft3/7.5 gal = 667 ft3/min x 1 min/60 sec = 11.1 ft3/sec

Approx Area of flow outlet (A) = 1 ft x 1.5 ft = 1.5 ft2

Velocity (V) = Q/A = 11.1 ft3/sec/1.5 ft2/sec = 7.4 ft/sec x 1yd/3 ft x 0.9 m/yd = 2.2 m/sec

Per 100 meters: = 100 m/2.2 m/sec = 45.5 sec/100 m

In reality, i think the web site says max speed is around 50 sec/100 m but you get the idea on how to do the calculations. Just be sure to keep your units straight:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a fastlane for 5 years and for two IM i trained exclusively in them swimming 58 and 60 min. just depends if u don't mind swimming alone and have good body position. I am selling mine now to make room for more bikes if u are interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless Pool owners [YTZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YTZ wrote:
I have had a fastlane for 5 years and for two IM i trained exclusively in them swimming 58 and 60 min. just depends if u don't mind swimming alone and have good body position. I am selling mine now to make room for more bikes if u are interested.

Thanks for the offer. As much as I'd love to take advantage, I need one of the pool or spa series since I don't have an existing pool to put the fastlane in.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

We researched Endless Pools prior to buying our house. After looking at several but trying none we decided to have an in the ground pool build and buy the Fastlane. We felt this was better for us. We have the pool with the Fastlane and a spa that flows into the pool, a tiered system if you will. We are very happy with our decision. The dog sometimes swims in the Fastlane current if I do not turn it up to high. We much prefer the appearance over the Endless Pool. The Endless Pool catalog show some nice pools but upon looking at them they only seem suitable for swimming. We wanted to play with the dog, have friends and family over to sit about, etc and feel that a pool was for us. I do recommend the Fastlane if that is any help to you.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless Pool owners [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The power meter comes with the pool. Basically it measures the power used by the motor to create the water flow which the user controls with a waterproof remote. It is the electrical watts used by the motor. This does not correlate to any type of swimming in a 25 meter pool. It is more like swimming in a river, you can figure out the Cubic Feet per Second flow rate, but really...what does that mean?

So after a few years of doing Trainer Road on the bike, I found that distance was not measured and time and intensity (power) was. So in my swim training, the watts displayed on the watt meter in the pool is a measure of the intensity. For a swim workout, I borrow a Trainer Road workout and follow it.

I did have to develop a Critical Swim Speed (CSS) as "Swim Smooth" calls it. In my case it would be Critical Swim Watts (Power). Basically it is the maximum speed or power I can swim for one hour at my swim threshold heart rate. Swim Smooth has a test on their website, but instead of time and distance, I use watts,time and heart rate. My method is not as precise and mathematical as Trainer Road, but it gets my heart rate where I want it.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless Pool owners [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
pdxjohn wrote:

Just for the hell of it, and b/c I haven't done any fluids calculations lately, I researched this further. Based on approx facts and figures from the EP web site, and using the fundamental principles of fluid flow:

Max Flow (Q) with their biggest propulsion unit = 5000 gal/min x 1 ft3/7.5 gal = 667 ft3/min x 1 min/60 sec = 11.1 ft3/sec

Approx Area of flow outlet (A) = 1 ft x 1.5 ft = 1.5 ft2

Velocity (V) = Q/A = 11.1 ft3/sec/1.5 ft2/sec = 7.4 ft/sec x 1yd/3 ft x 0.9 m/yd = 2.2 m/sec

Per 100 meters: = 100 m/2.2 m/sec = 45.5 sec/100 m

In reality, i think the web site says max speed is around 50 sec/100 m but you get the idea on how to do the calculations. Just be sure to keep your units straight:)

Good stuff.

My experience is that you have to concentrate to stay in the center of the current. If you go left or right of the center the current is not as strong or fast. This is good and bad, it allows you to slow down a bit for a active recovery, on the other hand you can get the impression that you are working harder than you really are. But I use the heart rate to confirm the effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:
PanamaRed wrote:

Do you have a link to that product? Thanks.

I did a fair amount of research on jet and current pools. After reviewing all the data and specifications I went with the Sentry version. The Sentry pool allows you to modify the depth and size. I made mine wider (12 feet), deeper (5 Feet) and longer (18 Feet). I went with the more powerful motor. I can swim while others are playing in it, sometimes we all play in it. Good training for mass swim start.

This is my 6th year with the pool and I average 2-3 workouts a week. However the beauty of the pool with pool lights at night is worth something as well. But if the nearest indoor pool was closer than 90 minutes away, not sure I would get one. When we built our house we could not afford a pool and 7 years later we added the pool and built a special addition for the pool. I live on a farm, so adding on was not a problem.

The link:

http://www.sentrypool.com/river-pool-swim-spa
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:
YTZ wrote:

Thanks for the offer. As much as I'd love to take advantage, I need one of the pool or spa series since I don't have an existing pool to put the fastlane in.

You could do this with a Tuff Pool

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless Pool owners [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
AMT04 wrote:
YTZ wrote:

Hugh

It ain't pretty, but that could work. Does that thing support a Fastlane?

That makes me curious what other creative solutions are out there.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:
sciguy wrote:
AMT04 wrote:
YTZ wrote:

Hugh

It ain't pretty, but that could work. Does that thing support a Fastlane?

That makes me curious what other creative solutions are out there.

My wife has been using one with a Fastlane for the past 7 or 8 years. She swam in it as much as 24 miles per week in it while preparing for the 10 mile Lake Memphremagog swim and has gone sub 60 minutes in several IMs training primarily with it.
Our unit sits outdoors ~ 7 months of the year and is solar heated. I just took it down for the winter today.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PanamaRed wrote:
The power meter comes with the pool. Basically it measures the power used by the motor to create the water flow which the user controls with a waterproof remote. It is the electrical watts used by the motor. This does not correlate to any type of swimming in a 25 meter pool. It is more like swimming in a river, you can figure out the Cubic Feet per Second (cfs) flow rate, but really...what does that mean?
So after a few years of doing Trainer Road on the bike, I found that distance was not measured and time and intensity (power) was. So in my swim training, the watts displayed on the watt meter in the pool is a measure of the intensity. For a swim workout, I borrow a Trainer Road workout and follow it.
I did have to develop a Critical Swim Speed (CSS) as "Swim Smooth" calls it. In my case it would be Critical Swim Watts (Power). Basically it is the maximum speed or power I can swim for one hour at my swim threshold heart rate. Swim Smooth has a test on their website, but instead of time and distance, I use watts,time and heart rate. My method is not as precise and mathematical as Trainer Road, but it gets my heart rate where I want it.

Well, if you can determine your flow (Q) in cfs, and you can measure the area (A in ft2) of the inlet that the water enters through, then you can calculate your velocity (V) using the V= Q/A. In this manner, you measure the actual speed of your CSS, if you wanted to, just for kicks:)

Quote Reply
Re: Endless Pool owners [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PC wrote:

I calculated my volume/pace with the digital readout of the water flow per 100 meters (sorry can't remember what it is called), a digital clock, a pace clock, and a swim chart like this one http://www.trinewbies.com/...o_swimpace_chart.asp.
For example, if I was swimming 500 yards, I would put the swim flow to 144/100 meters and swim 7:55 minutes take my rest and repeat.
It is probably just an estimate, but that's how I measured my distance.

Water flow is always expressed in some unit of volume per unit time, e.g. gal/min, cubic ft/sec, etc. I can't see how 144/100 m fits in here, i.e. 7:55/500 yd = 1:35/100 yd or 95 sec/100 yd or 0.95 sec/yd or 1.05 yd/sec, with no 144 involved:) Can you tell us more about your calculations???

Quote Reply
Re: Endless Pool owners [sweet_wtr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sweet_wtr wrote:
200yd pace/time

400yd pace/time

Ummm, I don't mean to seem like a jerk but this does not tell anyone anything new; all you've done is multiply by 2 and by 4. I don't see how this is helpful to the OP at all; he seemed to think it helpful but perhaps he was just being polite:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your new home.

Yes I found owning an EP was a good investment! I have had two endless pools. The first one was custom sized, in-ground, double motor, and indoors. We had that one for 8 years. The kids got older, so we downsized.

Then we bought a used one. It was a single and "above ground". We put that one in the garage. It was awesome! We sold that one before we moved again, and we sold it for 2K less that we paid. We could of taken it with us, but we decided we didn't want to schelp the pool.

I love to swim in an EP. Owning an EP made it easier to get a swim in anytime I wanted to swim. I never swam growing up. I have had friends who did swim growing up who did not like the EP.

We are thinking of buying another EP. The swim spa series. The nearest pool is 50 miles away, so having an EP would be the only way we could swim. I have not done a triathlon in 7 years, so we are not sure we want to go through the expense again.
Quote Reply

Prev Next