Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Emilio can you make us a neoprene cycling top ?
Quote | Reply
Before IM Canada in Whistler I was contemplating cutting up an old wetsuit and rigging together a neoprene top that could go under a full length lycra top to put on in T1. Instead I settled for the full length top with three garbage bags inside, toque for inside my helmet, rubber gloves, calf sleeves to act as tights. I barely made it through shaking uncontrollably on the verge of hypothermia and a DNF for 5.5 hours out of my very slow 5:56 survival ride.

At my size and body composition, i have come to the conclusion that the only material that can keep me funtioning in cold rain (it was 9C and heavy rain, many DNF's, and I think the rain was super chilled from higher elevations lower than that) is neoprene.

I am thinking that either a neoprene vest (front and most of the back with neoprene arm warmers, or even something like a Desoto top in 2 mm neoprene, but with a zipper in the front so I can get it on in T2. I think the former option might work better....put the vest on, and then start riding and wait for arms to dry up with the neoprene arm warmers on the aerobars and then unroll them onto the arms.

Not quite Matty Reed "do the entire ride with a westuit on" but not far off. I think this is the only way I can get by and actually race in brutally cold rain. Or just pack it in and only sign up for races in Texas, Taiwan and Malaysia.
Quote Reply
Re: Emilio can you make us a neoprene cycling top ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a couple of cycling jackets that keep me very warm in the wet and cold. Not sure there is a need for what you are asking.
Tough conditions yesterday, glad you survived!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Emilio can you make us a neoprene cycling top ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What you need is a Castelli Gabba jacket. It is aero and warm. You can also use you xc-skiing/thin wool underwear and you will be toasty. Add some neoprene gloves and you will enjoy a nice bike ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Emilio can you make us a neoprene cycling top ? [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys, I don't think that any jacket will keep me warm in cold driving rain. I have tried too many jackets and they all failed miserably. Nick Mallet who is around the same size as me uses some surfer neoprene tops in the rain and says it is the only thing that keeps him funcitonal on his long bike tours (which is essentially what an Ironman is). I get cold sitting in the office at 22C. I think the only material that will keep my core temp up when wet is neoprene. Halvard it is s different picture when you are a larger northern European type. I am not designed to race in these temps. I am the guy that only needs 4 bottles for the entire bike in Texas or Kona and I survive just fine. Different bodies for different conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The old rubberized swim skins work well for this if you still have one, I've worn them in cold rainy races before. Too bad no one makes them anymore. One day was so cold I didn't even peel it down on the run until half way. If things are really bad leave your swim cap on for the bike. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Emilio can you make us a neoprene cycling top ? [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dogmile wrote:
The old rubberized swim skins work well for this if you still have one, I've worn them in cold rainy races before. Too bad no one makes them anymore. One day was so cold I didn't even peel it down on the run until half way. If things are really bad leave your swim cap on for the bike. :)

I was going to leave my swim cap on for the bike, but I have some neck issues that create headaches with swim cap inside a helmet (I have done this many times in training). I opted for a toque, but it got wet and cold. I did start a thread about the old swim skins earlier this week and may just pick one up from a friend who is likely not using his. I don't have one, just have the newer textile version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, I have an Orca rubberized suit that is too tight for me (5'10", 150 lbs).....it is a size Med, IIRC. Lemme know if you are interested. Sleeveless with knicker length legs.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have one for kayaking- I would look at kayaking or surfing shops. Something like this? http://www.amazon.com/...words=Neoprene+shirt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Guys, I don't think that any jacket will keep me warm in cold driving rain. I have tried too many jackets and they all failed miserably. Nick Mallet who is around the same size as me uses some surfer neoprene tops in the rain and says it is the only thing that keeps him funcitonal on his long bike tours (which is essentially what an Ironman is). I get cold sitting in the office at 22C. I think the only material that will keep my core temp up when wet is neoprene. Halvard it is s different picture when you are a larger northern European type. I am not designed to race in these temps. I am the guy that only needs 4 bottles for the entire bike in Texas or Kona and

I survive just fine. Different bodies for different conditions.
In Reply To:

I am you though i weigh 157 lbs, I DNF at IM UK wearing the Gabbo

I may try that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for 50 dollars I'd look at experimenting with something like this:

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/...S_S_Red_Black-(10760)

I am small - ideally 156 at 5'10" (its been a while since I've been there but I'm getting back) and I spent a week earlier this year in the alps where it was cold and wet - so much so that I went down on day 2 and asked them to find some shoe covers - (which combined with plastic bags are awesome) - anyway I digress.

All week I cycled in a merino wool top and jacket - soaking wet with a shell and thats all I've used, I've never found additional layers to help - even skiing when its been really cold -20-30 I've only ever needed 230 merino and a shell so long as I had good gloves, so i'd probably try one of those tops
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

We make a core warmer top that is a very thin neoprene core with lycra sleeves. The thickness is just about 1mm. This may be an option. Would this fit the description of what you are looking for?
We have them in long and short sleeve:

Long Sleeve Core Warmer top

Short Sleeve Core Warmer top

Jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TADA!!

http://www.desotosport.com/product/SV2

Quote Reply
Re: Emilio can you make us a neoprene cycling top ? [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
TADA!!

http://www.desotosport.com/product/SV2

I use this for either swimming in a cold pool, semi warm lake, or yep, would work great riding in the bike.

Also use in races where the water is too warm but the rules on water temp are not enforced.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
O'Neill makes a top called a Gooru. They are thin, stretchy and modern material so very warm! I have two of these, plus the Gooru shorty for skiing. They won't impact mobility. They have more ROM that anything I have used. I prefer to ride using cycling specific wear but you are correct 5 hours in rain nothing will work, and a shell won't be any good either - not aero and lots of trapped sweat anyway.

My kind of weather. We hit the rain as well during the Cowichan Challenge - but it was warm. I had switched to Michelin rain tires for that one.

I happen to love "storm riding" but only when I am the right temperature of course. It's being raining so hard out here at times on the Island I have resorted to wetsuits for land-based outdoor stuff!

<http://au.oneill.com/...it-tops.html#/page/2

I'm a big fan of the O'neill stuff, for waterskiing & surfing. It's not good for swimming > too slow!

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Last edited by: SharkFM: Jul 27, 15 10:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev
Like the others posted I think the DeSoto speed vest would work great.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Jul 27, 15 10:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Castelli gabba is what you need. Seriously. You can get it in a vest (the "Fawsome vest"), a short-sleeve jersey, a long sleeve jersey, or a convertible long sleeve that zips off to become a short sleeve. I'm sure Emilio could build something like it, but it will be far superior to neoprene on the bike. you don't want to stay wet, and the gabba will breath and is totally waterproof.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neoprene? No, I want leather. Come on Emilio.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sailing top drysuit with a base layer underneath

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Paul,

I wore the T1 Speedvest at a race in Lake Placid years ago where it snowed the night before and was raining during the race. it worked well. As I got warm I unzipped the back a little (zips up from bottom to open) and cooled off enough, then zipped down on the descents.

We also make Extreme Sleeves which are 2mm GreenGoma Rubber. Designed to help you swim faster, they work well in cold weather.

Give it some thought and email me if you have any questions.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev,

I have three pieces that i have stored for just an occasion

DeSoto Sleeveless Wetsuit top (the thin one)
Pair of wetsuit arms cut off an old suit (essentially neoprene arm warmers)
Pair of cut off, trimmed up wetsuit legs (essentially knee warmers)
Also have an old speedsuit

Yesterday I would have used the wetsuit top + at least the arms on the bike as long as needed

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: Emilio can you make us a neoprene cycling top ? [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Emilio wrote:
Hey Paul,

I wore the T1 Speedvest at a race in Lake Placid years ago where it snowed the night before and was raining during the race. it worked well. As I got warm I unzipped the back a little (zips up from bottom to open) and cooled off enough, then zipped down on the descents.

We also make Extreme Sleeves which are 2mm GreenGoma Rubber. Designed to help you swim faster, they work well in cold weather.

Give it some thought and email me if you have any questions.

Had never thought about wearing my speedvest at IMLT 2013. Will remember to have that with me for cold races in the future, great idea. The sleeves look like something great to have
in ones tool box also.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First race of the year was 45 and raining. I use the speed tube (pants, not bibjohns) and a T1 top for swimming. Just took off the pants and left the top on. It was a bit constraining in aero, but so much better than freezing!

It seems like pants, vest and rubber arm warmers would be the best combination of swim speed/ transition speed/ bike comfort.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Guys, I don't think that any jacket will keep me warm in cold driving rain. I have tried too many jackets and they all failed miserably. Nick Mallet who is around the same size as me uses some surfer neoprene tops in the rain and says it is the only thing that keeps him funcitonal on his long bike tours (which is essentially what an Ironman is). I get cold sitting in the office at 22C. I think the only material that will keep my core temp up when wet is neoprene. Halvard it is s different picture when you are a larger northern European type. I am not designed to race in these temps. I am the guy that only needs 4 bottles for the entire bike in Texas or Kona and I survive just fine. Different bodies for different conditions.

Dev- while my genetic background is closer to Halvard's than yours... I can assure you that the Gabba is an incredible choice. Norseman gave me everything it had in terms of weather - freezing hail storm at about mile 98 on the bike, freezing, sopping wet final descent over 15 or so miles... and it was amazing (utilized castelli's Nano Flex arm warmers too). Plus, they are tight-fitting as well.

As I doubt Emilio or anyone is likely to create a race-type neoprene top... this is something you really should look it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not quite neoprene, but the Rapha softshell base layer is pretty freaking outstanding.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next