Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Electronic shifting, is it really worth it??
Quote | Reply
after playing around with some Di2 kitted bikes at the cycle show this weekend, I'm not convinced on electronic shifting

whats the point really? what are the advantages?

all I can see is disadvantages at the moment
added complication
batteries to deal with
probably impossible to fix roadside

what think yee?

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [Anth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anth wrote:
after playing around with some Di2 kitted bikes at the cycle show this weekend, I'm not convinced on electronic shifting

added complication
batteries to deal with

advantages that I see (coming from someone who rides mechanical):
Multiple shift locations (horns, aerobars) for tri bikes
Auto front derailleur trim
No worries about cable routing or cable stretch
flawless front shifting while under power
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I do not have to run any wires for the shifters, that is the day that I will change over but until such time, it is mechanical shifting for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
^this.

If your gear cable snaps then you can single speed home. Same applies if you have a Di2 failure (pretty rare).

Do you need it? I'll never go back to cables on the TT bike. On the road bike it's more preference than anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had my some of my only bike mechanical's during events from mechanical shifting. I've had rear derailleurs get 'trapped' between the limit screws and the tiniest bit of remaining tension in the shifter cables, making the RD stop moving until I unclipped and kicked it a few times. I also had a recent mechanical where my hands were too cold to move the chain from the 39T to the big ring.

that being said, I have no intention of switching to electronic any time in the near future - doesn't seem worth the money to me. YMMV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've added a Di2-equipped endurance road bike to my stable in the last few weeks. For reference, my race bike is a SRAM-red, my trainer bike is standard Ultegra, my TT bike is Dura Ace. Standard Ultegra is good. The SRAM Red just seems finicky. The Dura Ace is rock solid, with the excellent bar end shifters. But the Di2 is absolutely fantastic, just press the button and it shifts perfectly and almost silently every time, simple as that. I find myself shifting much more frequently than my SRAM Red.

To quote Ferris, if you have the means I highly recommend it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are lots of riders with mechanical shifting that have never ridden electronic shifting that will tell you all the reasons why electronic is no good.

I don't know of any riders with electronic shifting that will tell you that they want to go back to mechanical.

Take from that what you will.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anth wrote:

Faster, more convenient shifts. Better UCI rule conformity.

Quote:
added complication
batteries to deal with
what think yee?

I thought that, too, before I got my Di2s. Fortunately, none of the issues I imagined actually happened. The shifters shift smoothly and cleanly every time. The battery is *way* over-engineered and I can go weeks on a single charge. It's dead-easy to check if you have enough juice left, too. Just hold down one of the shifters for a bit and a light comes on. And, after a year and a half, I've had zero problems... ever.

When we aero fit people for UCI TTs, the Di2s allow us an extra 8mm of front distance. A definite advantage in most cases.

I wish I could trash the system for being overly complicated, but the truth is, it's not. It's just expensive. That's the only downside, in my opinion.

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [AndyF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“All things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the best one.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to try the electronic shifting, but too cheap to buy it yet.

Is it true that some Di2 batteries froze overnight in T1 last year at IMLT leaving the bikes single geared? Or just a rumor spread by Luddites?

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharonMcN wrote:
I'd love to try the electronic shifting, but too cheap to buy it yet.

Is it true that some Di2 batteries froze overnight in T1 last year at IMLT leaving the bikes single geared? Or just a rumor spread by Luddites?

BS. Li-on batteries function to well below -40 and Shimano states the operating range for Di2 to be -10C to +50C

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [William Ockham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
William Ockham wrote:

All these responses are demonstrating that all the things are not equal.
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
When I do not have to run any wires for the shifters, that is the day that I will change over but until such time, it is mechanical shifting for me.

Hopefully soon with SRAM. Would make traveling with my bike a bit easier.
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SRAM is still a couple years off, even longer of a TT gruppo.
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
William Ockham wrote:

All these responses are demonstrating that all the things are not equal.

And what could be simpler than having a button to press and nothing to adjust or wear in the Derrailers? From a mechanical prospecting, no gears (a fixie) would be the simplest. I suppose next would be old school, non-indexed shifting, maybe a 5-speed rear block, then indexed shifting, again with a few gears on the back as the adjustment doesn't have to be as precise. From there, you move to narrower chains and more cogs on the back. Then, you do to Electronic BUT, when you do, you remove cable stretch and front DR trim from the equation as those either don't happen (cable stretch) or are done for you (front DR trim).

In any case, I wasn't really sure about Di2 but having gotten it on my NP3 this Spring, I'm sold. Any bike I get in the future will be Di2 or something similar.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:

Please don't say that.... please? Pretty please?

Honestly, I don't see why developing a wireless groupo would be such a big deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Grill wrote:

Please don't say that.... please? Pretty please?

Honestly, I don't see why developing a wireless groupo would be such a big deal.

Thought it was common knowledge.
http://road.cc/...n’t-hold-your-breath
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a road bike kinda luxury.
On a TT kinda of advantage cause of the dual shifting and the other pluses you mentioned.
I had a failure on the RD after raining which left me shifting the rear every 5mls one cog. Really pissed it gave me the fastest training split on usual course.
DA 3year no questions asked warranty gave me a new one and I'm good to go again. But didn't get stuck in the middle of nowhere with electronic overkill in the last 2years.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
There are lots of riders with mechanical shifting that have never ridden electronic shifting that will tell you all the reasons why electronic is no good.

I don't know of any riders with electronic shifting that will tell you that they want to go back to mechanical.

I did (went back to mechanical from electronic that is). But what do I know, only did 41 bike races this year alone ;-)

Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why?
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [willembad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
willembad wrote:
Why?

Too many to list, but: front shifting great of course, but most all the new top tier systems are now good. No difference in rear shifting (actually worse since you can't dump quickly like for cross, cresting, etc. esp compared to Campy). Hard to use with gloves/cold. Weight/Aero, etc. but mostly I also did not like the hood ergonomics as well (the biggest issue really). Price? Not really an issue to me, but the fact that it is MORE expensive for the nicer Dura Ace servo motors version is a no go (the Ultegra servos are fine, just larger/noisier). Oh, and I had an unexplained failure during a long ride and I've had 3 others that did. 1 dead batter issue (yeah, he didn't charge for months, but the damn thing lasts so long he just got lazy).

For many triathletes though who ride their tri bike a lot, I would lean much more to Di2 since you don't shift near as much as a crit/road/cross racer and the extra shifting from the bullhorn would be very nice at times (and the easier "aero" routing in most cases). Don't usually do tris/TTs in the cold either.

Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:

I've ridden Di2 equipped bikes and my experience was basically "meh". It shifts...just like my mechanical bikes. I didn't experience any epiphany that told me "gotta have it!"

Then again, maybe I just take better care of my mechanical stuff than some can be bothered to do...although all I really do is swap out cables periodically and make sure the rear hanger isn't bent once in awhile.

Funny thing...I was riding alongside a guy this morning who has Di2 on his bike. The darned chain was making all kinds of noise on the rear. I asked "I thought those electronic setups NEVER went out of adjustment?" He smiled at me and said, "No, they do...just like any other shifter".

From a "purist" standpoint, I really wish that the manufacturers would incorporate self-charging into the systems. Draw a milliwatt or 2 of power from the upper derailleur pulley like the old Mavic Zap system did.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made the "Leap to Red" w/SRAM 10 sp when it came out & R2C shifters. It was the latest light cool thing & had to have it. After riding on some test bikes with Di2 (aside from the ridiculous prices), it was night & day. No slop, concise & just all around the cleanest/quickest/quietest shifting I've used. In hindsight, wish I hadn't make the Leap to Red. Next bike will for sure include a Leap back to Shimano. Solid, proven & sets the standard for other grouppos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't like the lack of feedback on a road setup. That is just me but there is no click if that makes sense.
Quote Reply

Prev Next