Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Electrolyte Enhanced Water
Quote | Reply
I've been using Hammer endurolytes fizz (lemon lime) for my long training rides (100+ miles) to get in my electrolytes. I like the flavor, but I find I quickly get sick of it (coupled with the artificial flavors of gel, waffles, bars, etc.) and all I want is plain water to wash that stuff down. I always have one plain water bottle and one electrolyte water, but find I always finish the plain water and then don't drink the electrolyte water as I should.

Before I switch to electrolyte pills, I was curious if anyone has any info on the efficacy of using a SmartWater/Essentia type water instead of the pills?
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolyte Enhanced Water [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
I've been using Hammer endurolytes fizz (lemon lime) for my long training rides (100+ miles) to get in my electrolytes. I like the flavor, but I find I quickly get sick of it (coupled with the artificial flavors of gel, waffles, bars, etc.) and all I want is plain water to wash that stuff down. I always have one plain water bottle and one electrolyte water, but find I always finish the plain water and then don't drink the electrolyte water as I should.

Before I switch to electrolyte pills, I was curious if anyone has any info on the efficacy of using a SmartWater/Essentia type water instead of the pills?

Why do you think you need these? There isn't very much sodium in an Endurolyte capsule, and so not much in these things, either?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full disclosure, I'm a nuun team athlete -- but I genuinely like their products and would recommend them. You mentioned getting tired of the lemon-lime flavour... nuun has a zillion flavours you can switch between to avoid getting sick of a particular one. I've never tried Hammer, but nuun flavouring is very subtle. I like it this way, it's sort of the opposite of Gatorade which I find overly sweet -- especially when it's warm (ugh). I tend to use it pretty dilute, a big bottle of water with a single tablet, unless it's stinking hot out and I'll be going for a long time.

I can't speak to using SmartWater/Essencia for workouts. Is that the stuff made by Coke that you can get at grocery stores, gas stations, etc? If I'm thinking of the right stuff, I like it, but have never used it for workout hydration.
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolyte Enhanced Water [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i used to love nuun, until they reformulated.
i was drinking it, and thought my bottle was dirty. came home, checked the tube, and noticed they have completely changed the ingredients. might be the stevia, but i am quite unhappy with it now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use High5 Zero, usually the citrus flavoured one. Tested the other flavours, but don't like them as much.

It also contains sweeternes, have not found any brand that don't (would prefer without).
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolyte Enhanced Water [gogogo!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry to hear that, ggg. I'll pass along the feedback to them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nuun is pretty good, they seem to be everywhere sponsoring various events. The one time I used it, I got a little headachy, but it may not have been due to the nuun, could've been a variety of different things.

My issue is just flavors in general. The Hammer fizz tablets are just like the nuun. One tablet in a bottle is pretty dilute. I like the flavor, but I just get so sick of the artificial flavors that I can't stomach eating a gel and washing it down with the flavored water.

Yes, the SmartWater/Essencia is the stuff you get in gas stations. Basically, enhanced water. I'm not sure I believe it, but if it could substitute, even partially, for the electrolytes, it would make my day.
Last edited by: ninagski: Aug 25, 16 6:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried Skratch? It's a light flavor and I've found that I can drink it for a long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know where you're from but you might check for good mineral water at a store near you.
I use this over here in Germany just for long rides (besides iso at harder workouts) and pre race week. http://www.fachingen.de/...ill.pdfx?forced=true

-shoki
Last edited by: shoki: Aug 29, 16 13:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Gatorade mixed in with water 50/50. I can drink that all day.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5 parts coconut water and 1 part unsweetened fruit juice of your choice. Add a little honey if want it a bit sweeter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you like the fizz (which I do as well) try the endrolytles extreme they are awesome! The enhanced water is not enough and the gatorade one that night be closer to enough is too much salt compared to hammer stuff. Hammer is the way to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that, ggg. I'll pass along the feedback to them.

I'm glad to read (and as it appears on their website) that Nuun stopped using aspartame or sucralose to sweeten their stuff. I'm not allergic to it (I have a nephew that is - you have no idea what a clusterf*ck that presents until you find out that some children's Tylenol products are sweetened with sucralose) but I find that in any product that contains it, it's all I can taste. Bleah.

So I might have to put new-Nuun back on my list of stuff to try. thanks, and you might want to pass that along - when I'm burning hundreds of calories doing whatever it is I do, I want *real sugar* (or at least natural plant based sweeteners) to provide any sweetening that might be necessary, along with the electrolytes.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolyte Enhanced Water [gogogo!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a bummer. I liked Nuun but Stevia does not taste good at all to me. Too bad they added it. I won't be restocking any Nuun if it all has Stevia now, it will be wasted money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
Nuun is pretty good, they seem to be everywhere sponsoring various events. The one time I used it, I got a little headachy, but it may not have been due to the nuun, could've been a variety of different things.
My issue is just flavors in general. The Hammer fizz tablets are just like the nuun. One tablet in a bottle is pretty dilute. I like the flavor, but I just get so sick of the artificial flavors that I can't stomach eating a gel and washing it down with the flavored water.
Yes, the SmartWater/Essencia is the stuff you get in gas stations. Basically, enhanced water. I'm not sure I believe it, but if it could substitute, even partially, for the electrolytes, it would make my day.

Have you tried flat Coke or Mtn Dew??? I've always drunk these on long rides and never had any issue with electrolyte balance. I just salt my food more when it's hot. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolyte Enhanced Water [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like this stuff. Tastes great , Very mild , almost like water.
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolyte Enhanced Water [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
I like this stuff. Tastes great , Very mild , almost like water.

Ya, I love the taste and use defizzed Coke/Mtn Dew/grape soda for all my rehydration needs. I keep two 2-L pitchers in the fridge at all times, 1 of Coke/Mtn Dew and 1 of flat grape soda. I drink from each depending on my need for caffeine, i.e. the grape soda has none. Not only do these flat sodas taste great, they are also way cheaper than any Gatorade, Powerade, etc, espec if you buy generic brands. I can buy Kroger brand soda for $0.69 to $0.79 per 2 L which per 1000 cal is way cheaper than anything else, except if you were to just mix pure table sugar in water, which doesn't taste all that great to me. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply