Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Educate me on the tour.
Quote | Reply
The Lance meltdown turned me off of pro cycling for the last few years. I followed it for decades before then took a break so I am a little behind. Anyone want to give me a little primer on this year's Tour De France? Favorites, underdogs, strongest teams, etc.

Thank you kindly.
Quote Reply
Re: Educate me on the tour. [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's an up and coming rider for one of the smaller, low-budget teams that really has a good shot this year; he happens to be a duathlete and competed in a bike/run event last year at a popular Tour climb. I believe his name is Chris Broome.
Quote Reply
Re: Educate me on the tour. [tylerwal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just having a little fun with you, Chris Froome is the favorite to win - having won 3 times in the last 4 years. He has the strongest team (Team Sky) and their team is solely built around winning the tour, although he is having somewhat of a down year not having won a race yet.

His main rivals would be Nairo Quintana, Ritchie Porte, Romain Bardet, and Alberto Contador.
* Nairo raced the Giro and is probably fatigued
* Ritchie is probably the most likely to put up a fight, having a good spring campaign
* Romain is strong but his team isn't and he can't TT as well as Froome
* Alberto is exciting to watch but his getting towards the end of his career and just doesn't seem to have the same power as several years ago

Sagan will win the green points jersey.

Cavendish, the most prolific sprinter in the last few years, had/has glandular fever (mono) and may not race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent. I have a soft spot for Alberto. For all of Lance's reign his rivals where emonitional cripples. Alberto actually gave shit back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tylerwal wrote:
I was just having a little fun with you, Chris Froome is the favorite to win - having won 3 times in the last 4 years. He has the strongest team (Team Sky) and their team is solely built around winning the tour, although he is having somewhat of a down year not having won a race yet.

His main rivals would be Nairo Quintana, Ritchie Porte, Romain Bardet, and Alberto Contador.
* Nairo raced the Giro and is probably fatigued
* Ritchie is probably the most likely to put up a fight, having a good spring campaign
* Romain is strong but his team isn't and he can't TT as well as Froome
* Alberto is exciting to watch but his getting towards the end of his career and just doesn't seem to have the same power as several years ago

Sagan will win the green points jersey.

Cavendish, the most prolific sprinter in the last few years, had/has glandular fever (mono) and may not race.

Basically perfect summation. GCN did a good overview as well. Check the link

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too have a soft spot for el Pistolero, but he hasn't been the same since he became "vegetarian"

My pick is Richie Porte: the guy was a monster dragging Froomie up the mountains years ago as a sled dog. As long as he doesn't try to run over the motorbikes again this year. And I'm sure Och wants another TdF win

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Educate me on the tour. [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always liked Porte but he always seems to have one or two stages that he just doesn't have a good day. And his team around him seems a bit suspect... But I would love to see him do something big this year!!

One more thing to add about Sky--some people suspect they are robots and produce some boring racing at Le Tour.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sky is USPS 2.0
Quote Reply
Re: Educate me on the tour. [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bingo
Quote Reply