Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Edmonton bike options
Quote | Reply
Staying at the courtyard downtown. Is it safe to ride to transition area? If so, what is the best route? What is the best riding from the area around the Westin/Courtyard?
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton bike options [Dnowak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know offhand where the Courtyard is, but as a general statement I will say that riding anywhere in downtown Edmonton is a fairly dicey proposition. Of course there are roads that lead from point A to point B, but they're far from ideal. Our city busses do have provisions for bicycles on the front though. I'd discourage you from trying to ride to the transition if you could come up with something else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could look at the river valley trail map and see if there is a combination of trails that will get you to your destination.
http://www.edmonton.ca/...lley-trail-maps.aspx
I haven't cycled in Edmonton but drive downtown/Whyte/university area regularly and many of the drivers don't seem to be very cycle aware.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The roads in Edmonton are, by and large, utterly crap for driving, let alone cycling. The debris towards the shoulders is thick with a combination of gravel, junk thrown up from pot holes, nuts and bolts, car parts and all manner of other stuff. The infrastructure in all of Alberta is simply crumbling away, but Edmonton is generally worse than most other places. It's construction season hell right now too. Shared bike/car roads are extremely limited, mostly contained to the U of A area, so I wouldn't recommend using the road system to go from Jasper Ave to Hawrelak Pk, but you'd likely have success on the river valley trail system. Google that system and you'll see potential routes to get there.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go west on Jasper Avenue (yes, it's relatively safe) to 107 Street. Turn south.

Follow the road as it winds around the legislative buildings and down to the river valley.

Cross River Valley Road to the bike path. Take the bike path West to Groat Road. Go under Groat Road bridge and get on the clover leaf to get on the bridge.

Stay to the right after crossing the bridge.. you'll find the park.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Aug 28, 14 7:13
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton bike options [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree its safe...

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton bike options [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are people doing bike training while here? Is the course safe to ride on?

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton bike options [rj_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it's safe to ride on the roads.

Our roads are known for being full of potholes, so keep your head up. The race course will be in good shape & there are lots of river valley paths.

Motorists aren't super happy about sharing the road, but I don't think you're risking your life by going for a bike ride.

By now there will be lots of signs up warning motorists about the racers.
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton bike options [rj_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rj_tri wrote:
Where are people doing bike training while here? Is the course safe to ride on?

I'm not doing the race, so I had to look at the course map... here's my thoughts:

1) Do NOT train on Groat Rd north of the river. That will only be safe on race day.

2) Anything south of the river is relatively safe.

3) I would use the bike path along River Valley Rd

Edmonton has loads of cyclists, but the safest routes aren't the easiest to figure out... like most North American cities.

If you were staying downtown, I'd say another good place to get a taper spin... take Rowland Rd over the river to the east... then ride 106 Avenue to 50st and back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The quickest, safest and most scenic route for you would be to leave your hotel and head to the river valley. It involves going down a rather big set of stairs though.

Still interested? Go to the Hotel McDonald which is right next to you. Take the stairs just to the south of the hotel to the bottom and head towards the low level bridge. Don't cross over the bridge. Take the small set of stairs to the left the bridge and take a right onto the paved trail by the river. Once you're on this trail, make your way South to 96 Ave and head towards Telus Field. You can't miss Telus Field. Go around Telus field and stay on the sidewalk until it becomes River Valley Road. This will take you to the path system to Hawrelak Park.

Follow the signs once you get to Groat Rd. where me and my band of vigilantes will be waiting to tickle you and steal your bike. What time are you planning to leave again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take 107st down past the leg as stated before and take river valley road bike path to Groat road to get to Hawerlak. This is a nice loop you could do from there http://www.strava.com/activities/185402481
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
107th street is a good choice as suggested.
My suggestion of going down a huge set of stairs in cycling shoes looks dumb. It's a nice run route though!
Quote Reply