Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Edmonton Olympic AG Bike Course
Quote | Reply
I thought this was discussed some, but couldn't find a thread on this, maybe it was a tangent in another Edmonton thread.

Raced the sprint today. How does the Olympic bike course compare? Looks like we still have the same hill soon after transition (Emily Murphy) and Groat hill. Are there any others and where are they and how do they compare to Emily Murphy & Groat.

My opinions of Emily Murphy is short, but steep. Either out of saddle in big ring or spin up in smaller gear. I went with the later to try not have too big of a power spike. I went little ring both times and 25 cassette towards the top. My overall bike and race went will so I feel I made the right call with spinning up it.

Groat was very gradual and definitely a big ring climb. I was over 20mph the whole way up.
Last edited by: Dnowak: Aug 29, 14 15:20
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton Olympic AG Bike Course [Dnowak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First hill was little ring/big cassette for me both times through even at 380-400w. Agreed on groat. From the looks of it there aren't any surprises added into the olympic, just a couple extra out and backs along the river. Looks like there may be 1-2 short power climbs on the final out and back.
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton Olympic AG Bike Course [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your win. You really murdered that bike
I didn't find emily murphy hill all that bad. It was tougher the first because it comes so quick after the swim at its hard to find your lungs after that long transition

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I, and others I have talked with, were surprised how long that first 8% hill was. Could not believe how many were grinding up the hill or out of the seat! I just went into my 34/32 and spun high rpm passing folks. Going to be interesting adding the second hill and distance on, then hitting that run. Was real nice dirt trail for a lot of the run, and totally flat. Even though I got my butt kicked on the bike, it was sure fun running by folks during the run and setting a new PR for me at 19:07.

Now just need to see what I have left for Monday with my third race in 6 days.

So far race has been run very well.

I hear a guy was pulled out during the swim this morning. I have not heard his status.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton Olympic AG Bike Course [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ridden the additional hill? From course map, looks like it is right after groat bridge, before groat hill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dnowak wrote:
Have you ridden the additional hill? From course map, looks like it is right after groat bridge, before groat hill.

Nope, but talking to a friend who has, he said it was not as long, or if he is right, as steep as the first. But not what I saw on the CT but until
I ride it, ....

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Victoria is quite similar to Groat (although a more consistent grade). The second "extra" hill is pretty steep, but I think quite short.

And yes, it's right before Groat - up to the right.
Last edited by: edbikebabe: Aug 29, 14 17:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it seemed like the run times were slow today. was it longer than a 5k or was the dirt a slow surface?
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton Olympic AG Bike Course [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree.. my time was slow for the effort but I didnt wear a gps so not sure if it was ling or if I'd just already cooked myself

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton Olympic AG Bike Course [rj_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rj_tri wrote:
Agree.. my time was slow for the effort but I didnt wear a gps so not sure if it was ling or if I'd just already cooked myself

I thought the run course was about right with my PR time i got. Thought then run course was fantastic

Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton Olympic AG Bike Course [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got 3.13, but my run time 8 seconds longer than official time so must have started it a little too soon. My run about 35-45 sec slower than normal. Maybe just slow surface or too many power surges on bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for folks with slower run times, my guess it was just the course. We had some 180 degree turns. And you had to watch your step on the dirt. So this course was
not setup to be a PR course. The Aquathlon run which was just around the park on the road was a faster run course, IMO.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My run about 35-45 sec slower than normal. Maybe just slow surface or too many power surges on bike.

I was in the same range, about 35-45 seconds slower than normal. I felt like the effort was there, but I just couldn't get up to my normal pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road the Olympic course this AM before the U23. Was great, course all closed to cars as they were preparing for today.

So comparing to sprint, Olympic should be faster. Just like i did in Milwaukee last year, I expect to average a faster speed in Olympic than Sprint. Lots more flats than hills added. Both out and back sections along the river are flat and fast.

Regarding specific sections:
1) The first turnaround (Saskatchewan) is a 135 degree turn and road a little rough so take it easy. I am a little concerned about this as everyone will be ramped up as early in the bike.
2) vicotoria park hill is just like Groat in regards to grade, but no turns and shorter. If you did Groat in big ring, this will definitely be a big ring climb. It then descends and immediately up groat.
3) River valley is flat and fast. Turn around has a very short hill on 96th. This is like a steep overpass. I will do it in big ring, 5 sec seated and then 5 sec stand to get over the top. Don't see point in downshifting as so short.
Last edited by: Dnowak: Aug 30, 14 8:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dnowak wrote:
Road the Olympic course this AM before the U23. Was great, course all closed to cars as they were preparing for today.

So comparing to sprint, Olympic should be faster. Just like i did in Milwaukee last year, I expect to average a faster speed in Olympic than Sprint. Lots more flats than hills added. Both out and back sections along the river are flat and fast.

Regarding specific sections:
1) The first turnaround (Saskatchewan) is a 135 degree turn and road a little rough so take it easy. I am a little concerned about this as everyone will be ramped up as early in the bike.
2) vicotoria park hill is just like Groat in regards to grade, but no turns and shorter. If you did Groat in big ring, this will definitely be a big ring climb. It then descends and immediately up groat.
3) River valley is flat and fast. Turn around has a very short hill on 96th. This is like a steep overpass. I will do it in big ring, 5 sec seated and then 5 sec stand to get over the top. Don't see point in downshifting as so short.

Thanks. Will be heading over in a few minutes to watch the elite women.

I just hope it is not as windy Monday. With my 808/disc setup yesterday, I was getting blown around so much I had to stay off the aerobars most of the ride.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck Monday. The wind didn't bother me much. My bike and run went OK and reflected my choice to prioritize FINA worlds. 24/78 finishers. The swim went well, 1 step, dive, 5 to 6 dolpain kicks and no one was on my feet. Pontoon #55 was a great spot.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Thanks. Will be heading over in a few minutes to watch the elite women.

I just hope it is not as windy Monday. With my 808/disc setup yesterday, I was getting blown around so much I had to stay off the aerobars most of the ride.

It's often windy - especially across the bridge.
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton Olympic AG Bike Course [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
Good luck Monday. The wind didn't bother me much. My bike and run went OK and reflected my choice to prioritize FINA worlds. 24/78 finishers. The swim went well, 1 step, dive, 5 to 6 dolpain kicks and no one was on my feet. Pontoon #55 was a great spot.

Great job. For whatever reason, wind really got me.

Yep, swim just dive in and start swimming. Shall be interesting doing 2 laps tomorrow. For the 2 races I have done so far, they never was a time to get
into a rhythm. Just folks on each side of me during the entire swim.

I was lucky to get a silver medal in the Aquathlon. Missed gold by 2 seconds.
Was 10/69 racers who started for the sprint.

Will be racing with the big boys on Monday and not sure how much is left in the tank.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old friend and team mate coached his Jr to 5th yesterday so that was awesome to see. Heading home now (actually half way at the moment).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
Old friend and team mate coached his Jr to 5th yesterday so that was awesome to see. Heading home now (actually half way at the moment).

So far this race has been put on very well. Was fun hearing Greg Welch announcing yesterday for the pro race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its been held off and on since 99, so great buy in from the city. I always try to race there. It has hosted AG nationals a few times, Alberta championships etc. 4 laps of this years sprint course is a toughie. 2012 saw 35+C temps.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
Its been held off and on since 99, so great buy in from the city. I always try to race there. It has hosted AG nationals a few times, Alberta championships etc. 4 laps of this years sprint course is a toughie. 2012 saw 35+C temps.

People have been amazingly friendly and helpful. Race venue is great. Weather, so far, has been great. (Even though the wind at times makes it tough)
Transportation has been fantastic. Having the roads 100% closed to traffic has been great. Roads are not perfect in spots, but I have seen a lot worse.
(It is interesting there is a pot hole right at the corner for the bike turn around they did not fix, just marked)

So I heard at the parade of nations event they thought like 20 million would be brought into the community from the race. Yep, lots of folks here spending
lots of money.

The only piece I think folks missed an opportunity is stuff to buy that has the race info on it. The US team blew it with nothing. (I have seen other countries stuff
with great shirts, etc.). I wanted a nice backpack with the race info like I have from other races, nothing. A nice shirt with all the ITU race info on it, nothing. Oh well, sure have save a LOT of money not being able to buy any of this stuff.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked two separate officials at bike check-in about bib # on bike and both said only need on the run. I am only going to wear on run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dnowak wrote:
I asked two separate officials at bike check-in about bib # on bike and both said only need on the run. I am only going to wear on run.

Yep, that is what they told me for the sprint race, and that is what I did.

Planning the same on the Olympic but had not asked again yet, was going to do in the morning.

Bike is all racked. In the hotel trying to get off my feet. Early to bed tonight since getting up real early to get setup in transition no later than 7.
Hope the wind spots or it is going to be very cold on the bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting how some folks did not believe the ITU would enforce the diamond bike rule. I had heard a number had to buy new bikes for the sprint race.
I talked with a friend this morning who was coming back into the biketransport area with his beam bike. They had just DQed his bike so was trying to borrow another
persons. Riding a strange, not correctly fitted bike at worlds is not the best way to race.

Quote Reply

Prev Next