Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Edmonton ITU finals
Quote | Reply
I've started this thread for the small minority here who get excited by ITU racing!!

The grand finals are on Saturday and Sunday (in Edmonton, of course)

The only way the Gwen Jorgensen can lose the world title is by crashing on the bike which I would exclude as a possibility except she did precisely that last year. But she certainly deserves not to crash this year. Jodie Stimpson can't afford another absymal swim, otherwise Sarah Groff will take the runners-up spot. I think if Jodie wins, an 18th place is still good enough for Gwen to become world champion. I wouldn't be utterly surprised to see Sarah Groff win the race though because it appears to be a tough bike course and she has the guts to breakaway...

The men's championship is not quite in Javier Gomez's pocket (because of the stupid way that points are allocated). So if Jonathan Brownlee was to win and Javier has to finish 4th or better. If Alistair wins and Jonny comes second, Javier must finish 5th or better.

With a tough bike course (there is about 4 K of good climbing in the first 20K) it looks primed for another Brownlee/Gomez breakaway. If the Brownlees can't shake of off Javier, then (unless his Achilles has flared up again as Barry Shepley thinks) I'd go for Alistair Brownlee as winner with Jonny second. If Javier is somehow not in contention on the run, then it wouldn't surprise me to see Alistair contrive to lose to Jonny as I suspect he did last weekend. Having said that, if the results were to go his way, Mario Mola could possibly still possibly win but I've become a bit disillusioned with him of late: Mola has a fantastic run but when you watch him, after a few early pulls on the chase pack, he drifts to the back and coasts, as if his real interest is preserving energy to ensure one of the fastest runs of the day as a goal in its own right. Richard Murray who is less gifted seems to have a much better mentality in this regard.

My prediction: 1. Alistair B, 2. Jonny B 3. J Gomez.
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton ITU finals [FeketeBlob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, hoping to watch the races. Weather on the edge, rained a little last night. Cool temps. Great venue

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Aug 28, 14 6:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Groff is peaking at the right time and may lay down the 2nd fastest run - I like the way Nicky Samuels' finished last week in Sweden, she's also peaking, has a great bike legs on a course that apparently has a potentially race defining hill - she's my longshot for breaking away with one or 2 others (Sweetland, Hall ??) and stealing the win or second.

Obviously the Brownlees and Gomez will be hard to beat if they get a group away from Mola and Murray as I suspect they will, my pick is Gomez - my "longshot" is Pereirra, like the way he runs.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton ITU finals [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was really impressed how Jodie caught the chasing bike group last week, she road with purpose and determination. She is a class athlete. I hate the athletes who just sit in on the bike and hope to be in a position to out run everybody in front of them because of fresher legs, they are not in control of the race and benefit from exploiting athletes in front of them who are prepared to work and chase down breaks. Jodie did really well at Kitz last year and is clearly a climber, I hope she attacks on the hills and enough climbers are brave enough to go with her to pull a substantial lead on the smaller four laps. Could be interesting.

I think the mens overall title is in the bag for JGN, however, I think this race will we fought between AB, JB, VL, MM and possibly JGN, I would expect a very fast swim and an attempt at a break very early on the hills, again I hope enough athletes are brave and strong enough to make a decent front group. I don't see AB and JB going it alone, having said that I was really really impressed by ABs cycling at the CWGs. Only question is Gomez, he was ill last weekend and dropped out and he was a complete dead duck on the bike (although ran Okay) two weekends ago, JB dropped him on the hills, went back for him and then decided to go it alone and gained almost a minute on the bike over a sprint distance. It will be interesting to see if Gomez has improved in the last 7 days and by how much. I gather AB didn't do the sprint race two weeks ago and that would add substance to the rumours he is carrying an injury. I don't think he gave JB the win in Stockholm I suspect he didn't want to turn on the afterburners to reduce the risk of a flare up of an injury. He has told the BBC he wants to win the GF.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just looking at the maps now, funky how the course is 2 large laps, 4 small laps. Not that I expect too many people on the start list of the grand final are at risk of being lapped out, but I suppose it makes your day a little longer if you have a shit swim. Even the "short lap" is kinda long.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton ITU finals [northern monkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason I said AB gave JB the win last weekend was because if you watch, Jonny grabbed a flag while running for the line, while older brother was still only a second or so behind. Knowing what a tenacious sod Alistair is, I don't believe for a second Jonny would have done that had he not known in advance that Alistair was not a threat. And when Jonny crossed the line, Alistair punched the air in triumph ... in fairness, it looked a good fight between them and Jonny is probably more reliably quick at the end of a sprint race but I still have a strong suspicion that the result was agreed in advance!

I can't see Gomez beating Alistair Brownlee (in truth, I think the last time he beat him when both were undeniably fit was in 2009) but as Javier only needs a top 5 finish and is gunning for the world 70.3 title next weekend, I doubt he will punish himself in the way he did in London last year. But AB is carrying a slight injury, perhaps his brother will finally beat him in an Olympic distance event. It does look like a course ideal for a breakway though, so should be exciting.
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton ITU finals [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was trying my bike out on the course this morning and here came the Brits with the brownlees going like crazy.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too much of a wuss to make predictions but really looking forward to both races and seeing how tough the hill turns out to be.
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton ITU finals [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H2ofun, what were your impressions of the course? How are the climbs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gwen is still vulnerable on the bike. On a hilly course Simpson, Samuels, (even Groff) should have no trouble dropping her. Still- 45 seconds is not enough.

Boy it would suck to be Gomez.
If the Brownlees get away, Gomez will have to out run Mola, Murray, Pereira to get the title. (They will fight hard.).

The Brownlees are great climbers. And Jonny has to get away from Gomez to win the series. It will be hard for Gomez to stay with th Brownlees. (Will they try some Tour de France type manuevers to drop him?)

Then what for Gomez? Next week and mt. Tremblant. Frodeno, Kienle, bozzone.
Not going to be easy.

If Gomez can manage a podium finish at both races, he deserves the title of "best all round triathlete ever".
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton ITU finals [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
Gwen is still vulnerable on the bike. On a hilly course Simpson, Samuels, (even Groff) should have no trouble dropping her. Still- 45 seconds is not enough.

If the Brownlees get away, Gomez will have to out run Mola, Murray, Pereira to get the title. (They will fight hard.).

The Brownlees are great climbers. And Jonny has to get away from Gomez to win the series. It will be hard for Gomez to stay with th Brownlees. (Will they try some Tour de France type manuevers to drop him?)

Then what for Gomez? Next week and mt. Tremblant. Frodeno, Kienle, bozzone.
Not going to be easy.

If Gomez can manage a podium finish at both races, he deserves the title of "best all round triathlete ever".

But if Gomez messes up he is just some guy who almost.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
None of the climbs are that long or hard. The cumulative effect can be tiring though.
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton ITU finals [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

_________

Actually I think the opposite. I don't see how the Brownlees will drop Gomez (maybe on the last lap and only like 15s), and by that Gomez is always hoping/wanting the front break to stay away. Even if he gets dropped say on the final lap, if it's just them 2 and Gomez has 45s on the rest of the field, the championship would be in the bag at that point.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton ITU finals [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope you're right. I'd love to see Groff put together a strong 10k. Nmaybe not negative split, but a strong second half. She has lots of heart.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FeketeBlob wrote:
H2ofun, what were your impressions of the course? How are the climbs?

Just real short climbs. Nothing real hard or very long. But if you never do hills, one might think I am nuts.
Since I race today on the 8% twice, will see if change my mind. Monday will be the 8% and the 12% hills.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anyone see's her can you give a cheer to my mate Renne Ker... Sprint AG for New Zealand ....
Sorry to hijack but she'll be stoked to have folks cheer her on....a long way from home....
Thanks all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally watched the races and did anyone else see Gwen almost crash into the television scooter right at the beginning of the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton ITU finals [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was watching the race right where they came out on the bike. I missed this though.

Quote Reply