Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Edge 820 glitchy issues
Quote | Reply
Wondering if anyone has had any experiences with their edge 820 acting up. Maybe there is some advice for something I'm doing wrong to get this thing acting right. Got one for Christmas and I like it well enough. Just having a few issues that I can't figure out. They don't happen consistently either, so that's a little frustrating.

-One, my P1 pedals don't always pair up quickly. They'll be paired to my 920xt, but not connected to the edge. I have to turn the edge off, then turn it back on, and everything is then fine.

-Another issue I've had is I'll start a workout on my trainer and the screen will just go blank with a little line of the screen visible in black and white. Looks like the thing just crashes. If I press the power button, it will come back on and I can pick back up where my workout left off.

-Last issue is workout uploads. I did a ride on my trainer Tuesday and can't get it to upload through Bluetooth on my phone. Yet I did another ride last night and the workout uploaded instantly (still never uploaded Tuesday's workout).

Seems to me these are just some programming bugs. I'm hoping they'll get figured out with an update. I've never had an issue on an outdoor ride. It's always when I'm on the trainer and have a pre-programmed workout that I've had the issue. Which is frustrating, because that's when I need to see the info the most.
Quote Reply
Re: Edge 820 glitchy issues [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
-One, my P1 pedals don't always pair up quickly.
Never had an issue pairing with my Power2Max (sorry can't help)

KG6 wrote:
-Another issue I've had is I'll start a workout on my trainer and the screen will just go blank with a little line of the screen visible in black and white. Looks like the thing just crashes. If I press the power button, it will come back on and I can pick back up where my workout left off.
Is it in "Power Save Mode"? Near the end of one of my rides, it said the battery was low, Do you want to switch to power save (or battery save) mode? I said yes. On my next ride (starting with a full charge) the screen went blank just a few seconds in. All the data was still recording and if I hit a button it came back up. I had to go into the menus and turn off the save mode.

KG6 wrote:
-Last issue is workout uploads. I did a ride on my trainer Tuesday and can't get it to upload through Bluetooth on my phone. Yet I did another ride last night and the workout uploaded instantly (still never uploaded Tuesday's workout).
Mine has also been quite erratic on uploads. I turned on the wifi (with bluetooth off) hoping it would upload instantly like my 920, but it never did. I have found out that it won't upload through bluetooth unless I have the Garmin Connect app open on my phone.

Overall pretty happy with it, though. Big step up from the 510.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nope.. the 820 has been pretty good to me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:

I haven't had issues with uploading workouts via Bluetooth on my phone but I can't get my 820 to connect to my WiFi *ever*. Aside from that, my 820 has been rock solid and I'm glad I bought it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you spin your cranks prior to turning on the computer? Doing this solved a similar problem for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an odd glitch where my 520 failed to upload a ride to Garmin connect only (it uploaded to Strava fine though). Couldn't get it to auto upload even connecting to a computer with a cable. Ended up manually uploading from the file on the unit.

Good luck on the rest. Sounds odd.
Quote Reply
Re: Edge 820 glitchy issues [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In regards to connecting my PM, I have done it both ways, spin the cranks before and after starting up the unit. But I haven't paid attention to whether it's only happening one way or the other. I do know that it's connected fine to my watch. Also, sometimes, it will say it's found (with right pedal missing, but that's how P1s always show up), then when I go to calibrate, it's like it disconnected. Restart it and everything is fine. Happened before my ride this morning.

With the screen, it's definitely not power save mode. It looks like when someone drapes their cell phone and the lcd screen doesn't work except for 1 little strip. Again, a restart clears it right up.

The upload issue is completely lost on me. Usually have no issues, but it's been buggy here and there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had some of the same issues. I also have an issue with the speedometer going haywire at speeds in excess of about 23 mph or so. I've got a speed sensor connected but if I'm going 23 or 24 mph, every 5 seconds or so it will go between 28 and 14 mph - all over the spectrum. Has anyone experienced this and/or know what to do about it?
Quote Reply