Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ebay sale gone bad - looking for feedback
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for sincere feedback from folks with experience with ebay-gone-bad.

What I'm not looking for is snide, blaming, rude responses - I've seen a lot less of that this past several months on ST, and I appreciate it and hope this thread can provide civil feedback.

I sold my road bike via ebay. I'm switching phd programs and the jump from a semester to a quarter program means a 4.5 month period with no stipend - I'm opting to get ahead on research during this time, so selling my bike made sense. I had hoped to sell it on the ST forums where I've had many great transactions, but the bike didn't sell.

The bike had custom Di2 work with the frame drilled in one spot and three cable holes made larger for the wires to pass through, and the opening in the bottom of the handlebar made slightly larger to fit the junction box into. I provided pictures of these modifications via ebay and I stated "custom Di2 work". In my Slowtwitch posting, I had gone into greater written detail than in my ebay listing, and while ebay limited me to 10 photos, I had provided around 24 photos via ST and a link to a google drive folder with ~80 photos (ebay didn't allow for that link to be provided).

Someone bought the bike, I shipped it to them 2 day priority mail and the day the person received it, I wrote to ask if the buyer had any questions. He wrote that he was disappointed that the frame had been drilled. I immediately responded by email apologizing, recognizing that while I had gone into greater detail on ST, I needed to have gone into the same detail on ebay, and I immediately offered the buyer to return the bike with me paying for shipping, and I re-provided the pictures posted on ebay that showed extremely close up photos of the places where the frame was drilled. The buyer initiated a return that day and I thought all was good, though he wrote some unkind words including something to the extent of shipping back my piece of garbage, to which I didn't directly respond.

More than two weeks have gone by and I have written the buyer multiple times requesting a tracking number. I have received no response and the bike has not arrived. I contacted ebay and they have communicated that if I do not receive the bike by the June 18th, I will automatically be given the money that is pending in paypal, which will be fine.

I am concerned that this buyer is committing some sort of con. I'm concerned the bike, a '12 Scott Foil adorned with less than one year old THM M3 crank, full DA Di2, carbon tubular 55mm rims with powertap GS hub and Tune front hub, Zipp stem and carbon handlebar, will be returned either damaged or with parts missing or swapped out. I don't know, I can't quite figure out this guy's possible con. He bought the bike for $2.5k, which means he basically got the frame for free and the parts at 45% msrp.

I hope to either just get the bike back or get the money if he doesn't ship it back. He has a store on ebay where he appears to move moderate to high end bike products at a relatively frequent pace and he has a high rating.

Thoughts?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Jun 9, 17 19:40
Quote Reply
Re: Ebay sale gone bad - looking for feedback [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he has an established account, he is unlikely to be out to fuck you. Ebay has been on the side of the buyers for many years now, so he would not be wise to risk a seller account in a good standing. Probably just changed his mind and is keeping the bike, but being a bit of a bitch about it. Just a guess.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Ebay sale gone bad - looking for feedback [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's definitely one option that has crossed my mind - initiated a return, decided to keep the bike knowing that I won't receive the money for close a month from him receiving it. I'm OK with that if that's the case. Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw that bike, was pretty sweet looking. If I recall the listing was pretty detailed with photos that should cover your ass in the event he sends you back a frame with crap parts. If he does send it back, video yourself opening it when you receive it from whatever carrier. Upload it and send the link to him and eBay. What sucks is how friendly ebay is towards buyers.
Quote Reply
Re: Ebay sale gone bad - looking for feedback [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good idea, I'll video opening the box. I also have already sent the buyer money via paypal to cover the return shipping and ebay has confirmed they have received my documentation of shipping payment and I received confirmation in writing and verbally that if the bike isn't received by me on the 18th, I receive the money. But, I also received an automated email from ebay stating that they've reviewed the case and are siding with the buyer - I reached out for clarification but have not heard back.

needless to say, I will be sticking to ST classifieds and won't be using ebay again. I got the feeling that the buyer was going to try to talk me down even further in price, but I responded with the offer/request that he return the bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know this but people hate admitting they are wrong. I think you are conscientious and I doubt you were misleading. My hunch is you covered your bases and when you presented your evidence they have moved on. But they won't give you the satisfaction of letting you know they are accepting the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
What sucks is how friendly ebay is towards buyers.

You're not kidding. When selling a bike on Ebay I received an obvious attempted scam response from a buyer. You could literally copy/paste his words into Google and get a dozen hits from scam warning websites about this clumsy con. It was being talked about a lot on online forums at the time. I blew him off and he complained to Ebay, who, you guessed it, sided with the scammer. I wrote a "you must be be kidding" response with links to a number of other documented examples of the scam, with identical words etc.
Appeal rejected, they still sided with the scammer and directed me to send him the bike, which, needless to say I did not. I haven't used Ebay since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You shouldn't have asked the buyer if they had any questions.

Do not send any messages asking about the return or anything else.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Jun 10, 17 8:34
Quote Reply
Re: Ebay sale gone bad - looking for feedback [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
same experience- two separate transactions with clowns who claimed fake issues and eBay sided with the buyer. it's ridiculous - wish there was other viable options.

Looking for a place to swim? check out http://swimradar.com
Mountain Bike and Adventure Guiding - http://fivestaradventure.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ebay sale gone bad - looking for feedback [shannond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone on my Aussie tri forum had a similarish ebay dispute, things got a bit whacko...

http://forums.transitions.org.au/index.php?/topic/72006-disputed-ebay-sale-seller-protection/#comment-1242319
Quote Reply
Re: Ebay sale gone bad - looking for feedback [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You shouldn't have asked the buyer if they had any questions.

So not send any messages asking about the return or anything else.

Thanks, your reasoning?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is just so you don't remind them of their "scam".

My experience selling bikes has been mixed. Mostly just small stuff like a bent rotor in shipping (which I immediately replaced). It sucks big time that eBay always sides with the buyer. It's like they don't even bother to investigate the least bit.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of many reasons I would not want to sell anything expensive on Ebay. Too many scammers.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
I wrote to ask if the buyer had any questions. He wrote that he was disappointed that the frame had been drilled. I immediately responded by email apologizing, recognizing that while I had gone into greater detail on ST, I needed to have gone into the same detail on ebay, and I immediately offered the buyer to return the bike with me paying for shipping, and I re-provided the pictures posted on ebay that showed extremely close up photos of the places where the frame was drilled.

In every ad I put "returns accepted only if the listing is in error or incomplete". And I focus on what is wrong with the item (defects, mods, etc), rather than what is right. In other words there is no need to show closeups of parts that look like new.

IMO "custom Di2 work" isn't that descriptive. You need to go into more detail and not rely on photos alone. If you do full disclosure, then the buyer has no case to complain.
Quote Reply
Re: Ebay sale gone bad - looking for feedback [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
I wrote to ask if the buyer had any questions. He wrote that he was disappointed that the frame had been drilled. I immediately responded by email apologizing, recognizing that while I had gone into greater detail on ST, I needed to have gone into the same detail on ebay, and I immediately offered the buyer to return the bike with me paying for shipping, and I re-provided the pictures posted on ebay that showed extremely close up photos of the places where the frame was drilled.

In every ad I put "returns accepted only if the listing is in error or incomplete". And I focus on what is wrong with the item (defects, mods, etc), rather than what is right. In other words there is no need to show closeups of parts that look like new.

IMO "custom Di2 work" isn't that descriptive. You need to go into more detail and not rely on photos alone. If you do full disclosure, then the buyer has no case to complain.

I completely agree and admitted that much to the buyer - I had gone into great detail in my ST listing and I don't know why I went into less detail on ebay, so to rectify the situation, I offered the buyer to return it... wish he'd just return it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully it will resolve ok. He may just be taking his time to pack it up and ship it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't poke a sleeping bear.

The return is going to time out and you will get the money.

Stop communicating with him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gotcha. it's been two weeks+ since I've communicated with the buyer - will keep it that way

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
I saw that bike, was pretty sweet looking. If I recall the listing was pretty detailed with photos that should cover your ass in the event he sends you back a frame with crap parts. If he does send it back, video yourself opening it when you receive it from whatever carrier. Upload it and send the link to him and eBay. What sucks is how friendly ebay is towards buyers.

eBay doesn't consider any videos or pictures that a seller provides when making their decision. The buyer can send back an empty box and get a full refund.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Good idea, I'll video opening the box. I also have already sent the buyer money via paypal to cover the return shipping and ebay has confirmed they have received my documentation of shipping payment and I received confirmation in writing and verbally that if the bike isn't received by me on the 18th, I receive the money. But, I also received an automated email from ebay stating that they've reviewed the case and are siding with the buyer - I reached out for clarification but have not heard back.

needless to say, I will be sticking to ST classifieds and won't be using ebay again. I got the feeling that the buyer was going to try to talk me down even further in price, but I responded with the offer/request that he return the bike.

By sending him money, you have just given him a discount on the bike. That's why he is probably going to keep it. How did you classify this payment?

You should have issued a return shipping label through the dispute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

By sending him money, you have just given him a discount on the bike. That's why he is probably going to keep it. How did you classify this payment?

You should have issued a return shipping label through the dispute.

Possibly.

for others in a similar situation, here's why I went with paypal for the shipping fees: The issue with the return shipping label: USPS now allows for Priority shipping of bike boxes (and other large items) at a flat rate. I shipped across the nation two-day mail for $35 for a bike box. USPS will not provide shipping labels for oversize items online. You have to go the USPS store where they will sell a label but they then require I mail the label to the buyer. Ebay wants an electronic copy of the shipping label. I could go UPS, but then I'm paying $80+ for shipping. So, sending $40 via paypal was the most cost effective method and Ebay accepted that as proof of initiating the shipping fees for returning the bike, whereas they were not keen on accepting a photocopy of a USPS label that I would then mail to the buyer, for whatever reason. again, last time I use ebay.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you post a link that explains that Priority Mail flat rate shipping?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Can you post a link that explains that Priority Mail flat rate shipping?

I don't have a link; it's just what I was told in person at the front counter .... there's always a chance the person was just being nice/lazy, but I kept the receipt as proof so that I could reference it for future pricing, in the chance that works.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does it say on the receipt?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What does it say on the receipt?

Just Priority and the price. nothing incredibly specific.

Quote Reply

Prev Next