Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Eating right while traveling for work (hotel/flying/etc)
Quote | Reply
So I do really well w my nutrition when I'm home but about 1 week every other month in out of town w flights and hotel stays and my nutrition goes straight to shit. I'm thinking prepavkaged good (nuts etc) may help as opposed to eating Continental bfast and whatever work may provide.

Wondering if anybody here had experience or suggestions. I eat really balanced at home normally. The first day or two of travel will be good then things just slide.

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Eating right while traveling for work (hotel/flying/etc) [T.Skelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some suggestions in the links below
http://www.sproutedkitchen.com/...s-travel-snacks.html
http://www.mynewroots.org/...or-healthy-travel-2/
Can you get accommodation with your own kitchen or are you expected to eat out?
Quote Reply
Re: Eating right while traveling for work (hotel/flying/etc) [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whole Foods
Panera
Chipotle

I stick to those when traveling in the US
Quote Reply
Re: Eating right while traveling for work (hotel/flying/etc) [T.Skelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a lunch box....

I used to travel every other week and end up in a new place every day. Luckily theres grocery stores in other towns besides the one I live in...

Get creative... if you want to eat healthy there are plenty of easy ways of doing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's tough, but a few tips:

If you drink, save it for client time. Dont drink alone
Pick up some food at a grocery store if possible (I realize it's not always possible)
Don't eat breakfast at conferences (Plates of cantelope, mini croissants, and the little jars of jam add up)
Nuts are okay, but if you're like me, you end up eating a lot of them because you are hungry and that sorta defeats the purpose.
If you have to eat shit, oh well. Just try to eat less of it.

Plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I buy groceries for those meals that I'm not out for a business lunch or dinner.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Re: Eating right while traveling for work (hotel/flying/etc) [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's pretty much eating out or lunch/dinner is provided. Eating out would be tons easier honestly.

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Eating right while traveling for work (hotel/flying/etc) [yorkcb7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the schedule often times getting to a grocery store is impossible

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Eating right while traveling for work (hotel/flying/etc) [spider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't really drink so that helps. But yea it all adds up.

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy to pack foods that are healthy is really what I need.

I usually can get up and workout early.

Had contemplated trying more of an intermittent fasting approach to help w calorie control...not eating til 12 or 1 but that's no good w morning workouts.

Sometimes hotels w have hardboiled eggs at the bfast bar but it's hit or miss

These things just turn into eating frenzies. The former fatty in me eventually just caves to the cookies by the weeks end.

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I worked out of town for about 20 weeks last year and was able to keep a decent diet for the most part rarely eating out. The hotels I stayed at had pretty a decent breakfast spread and I would grab extra fruit, yogurt, juice for my lunch. I would do groceries that I would supplement my lunches with and the grocery stores also had a deli that I would pick up my diner from. My room also had a kitchenette so I could stock food for my weeks out of town. I was travelling to larger centers so had options but a few times I was not and had to bring a small cooler to keep food in.

its not easy but not impossible either.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's an excuse. I used worked 8, 14 hour days and made it work to get to a grocery store. You have to be willing to make it work. Which doesn't seem like you are willing to do. But then again you could be working 24/7.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Picture the biggest, hardest climb or mountain that you regularly ride. Then every time you are about to eat something ask yourself "Do I really want to carry this food up that mountain every time I bike it?"

Do I really want to carry those cookies up the mountain?
Do I really want to carry that huge steak up the mountain?

Then eat enough to "fuel" yourself, but not any extra that you will end up carrying up each mountain in the form of fat.
Quote Reply
Re: Eating right while traveling for work (hotel/flying/etc) [yorkcb7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flights landing after 10 pm w meetings starting next day at 8am and going til 8-9 pm. Mind you not in highly populated areas

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Eating right while traveling for work (hotel/flying/etc) [LoDewey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dig that honestly.

What id really like to hear is what kind of foods you've found that travels well or you've ha success with. I know it can work. If love to hear what YOU guys eat to make it work. Normally when traveling locally for work I can bring a cooler w me.

Refrigeration maybe not an option and microwave to cook oatmeal or eggs isn't maybe an option. Or may not have a bowl to cook in.

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others had said, planning is the key.

I usually travel with packs of instant oatmeal. They are easy to prepare and take up barely any room in a suitcase. Tuna pouches are the same way. Throw in some cashews/almonds and maybe some granola, and you have got some good on-the-go eats.

If you don't want to drink, get a club with a lime or lemon. It looks just like a vodka tonic or vodka 7-UP. Or just don't get the alcohol. I just remind myself I'm not in the fraternity anymore and I have other goals instead of getting loaded.

The biggest thing is to be confident in your choices. If you go out, order something healthy. Some plain chicken or salmon with some veggies and rice does the trick. I find that anyone who notices my "special" meal always follows it up with something like, "You're lucky you're so skinny". Duh, it's a choice and a commitment. You keep eating those nachos, slick.

Finally, one good meal can't make you fit. And one bad meal doesn't ruin your training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And I'm sure you could find a grocery store to get food at when they open at 7AM.

Not trying to argue with you. But it's very simple to eat healthy. Or better yet this new #cleaneating fad. I'm just trying to help you out. If your not willing to figure it out then you won't succeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why the hell do you think I'm on here asking for advice? Looking for ways to make it work.

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Eating right while traveling for work (hotel/flying/etc) [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like this. Helpful

Tuna pouches
Instant oatmeal - if I can get a microwave. Or maybe a coffee cup and hot water?
Granola
Nuts - maybe those 100 calorie packs

Let's assume I can get to the store or pack stuff in my carry on

What are you packing?

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With that schedule, it can be pretty difficult, especially if you don't have access to a rental car to get to the store.
When Im stuck travelling for a stretch of time, I generally try to take extra fruit, yogurt eggs etc (whatever they have that is decent) from the breakfast bar for snacks during the day. It also helps to spend some time online ahead of the trip to scope out where you can find something semi-healthy to eat. I usually try to find a place that has an extended stay type set-up if possible, so I can make my own food, but if you've got entertaining to do, not usually an option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave you advice. Go to a grocery store and get a large lunch box.

I pack fruit, veggies, nuts, nut butter, protein powder. I make salads and carry hummus instead of salad dressing. These are all TSA approved items and you can bring them aboard. (I know this because. I am a corporate pilot and travel on the airlines a lot) I make salads and always ask for a fridge at a hotel. If you are nice to the front desk they will do it for free. But if not it will cost you 10-20$ but that's a choice you need to make. Is it worth it to eat healthy or not...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it's about limiting my losses when I travel, especially on the shorter trips. My fall back in case there is no easy access to a grocery store or a fridge in the room, I take a shaker bottle and individual portions of a protein powder/meal replacement shake in Ziploc baggies. This along with with some nuts, protein bars, various fruits (usually available at most hotel breakfast bars) will make up my breakfast and lunch. Then at dinner I just try to make a responsible choice from the menu at wherever the group is going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are you packing and carrying but butter? I had a jar of almon butter confiscated bc they said it could be a bomb. Was thinking about the small packs of Justine's but butter?

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T.Skelton wrote:
How are you packing and carrying but butter? I had a jar of almon butter confiscated bc they said it could be a bomb. Was thinking about the small packs of Justine's but butter?

I don't carry but butter bro.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iphone fail

Nut butter

Also, what kind of bars would you take as a snack that aren't full of crap?

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply

Prev Next