Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Easy Run Heart and pace and IM Marathon Pace
Quote | Reply
What is your easy run HR and pace? And what type of pace do you run in an IM? Age/Weight?
Quote Reply
Re: Easy Run Heart and pace and IM Marathon Pace [endurance1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HR varies widely by individual. Same age, some folks may have a HR of 160 at what is an easy pace, while someone else may be at 130.

Comparing pace and height/weight may be a better way to look at things.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Easy Run Heart and pace and IM Marathon Pace [endurance1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endurance1234 wrote:
What is your easy run HR and pace? And what type of pace do you run in an IM? Age/Weight?

Are you doing a study? What really are you interested in finding out? Are you trying to determine how fast to run your IM?
Quote Reply
Re: Easy Run Heart and pace and IM Marathon Pace [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I'm trying to figure out roughly what pace I should aim for. I'm 39, 6'1" 182lbs and my max HR is around 181-182. Right now, I do my long runs at average HR of 139 in 7:39 pace on a hilly run and flat course 7:19ish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
perhaps there is some correlation between easy run pace and IM run pace, but only if you're running easy enough in training and pacing the bike right in training.

Any 10k/10mi/13.1mi race times? Half IM fast run times?

endurance1234 wrote:
Yes I'm trying to figure out roughly what pace I should aim for. I'm 39, 6'1" 182lbs and my max HR is around 181-182. Right now, I do my long runs at average HR of 139 in 7:39 pace on a hilly run and flat course 7:19ish.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endurance1234 wrote:

My recommendation based on my personal experience is your IM goal pace is a pace during your training runs that feels so easy that you're embarrassed to be going "this slow". ;) Now this changes if this is your 10th IM vs. your first plus if this is your 10th marathon vs. first time running a marathon as well.

I also break up the IM run into 3 segments(first 10 miles, 8 miles and then the final 8) and tweak my effort/pace for each of those segments. In order to go the fastest overall, I believe in doing lots of "tempo" miles at half IM pace.

Hope that helps...
Quote Reply
Re: Easy Run Heart and pace and IM Marathon Pace [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may help as a starting point for pace decisions. Thank Ale Martinez for the fine work.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Easy Run Heart and pace and IM Marathon Pace [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. I ran a 3:30 at IMLOU (148lb, 6ft, hr in the 16Xbpm range, 208 max) and 8 min/miles were stupid easy during training (<140bpm). During my training runs I always had treadmill dreams of running 7:15-7:30 because "they felt pretty easy". A couple solid brick runs (5-8 miles) after 5 hr rides changed that real quick. I personally am not a big fan of bricks from a "training" perspective, but believe they provide great value from a race pacing perspective.

139bpm is (zone 3) for a max of 181 based on the calculator i am looking. What is your pace at 116bpm? That looks like it is the top of Z1 for a max of 181. Very few people can run in Z2 for the IM marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: Easy Run Heart and pace and IM Marathon Pace [jph437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Joe Friel's HR ranges and based on his calculation my Zone 1 is less 149 bpm. My LTHR is around 174 when I tested it last year with the 30 min test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endurance1234 wrote:

I never really pay attention to HR except in post-event analysis...

I am 5'7", 148lbs, 35yo

I run my easy runs around 7:30ish pace and my HR is generally in the mid-140s for that

Ran my last IM marathon in 3:24 (7:53 avg) at an average heart rate of 154bpm (Positive split of 2 minutes)

For reference my last open marathon was 3:04 (7:01 avg) at 163bpm (also a 2-minute positive split)
Quote Reply