Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Eagleman-not full?
Quote | Reply
Is it normal for EM to still be open this time of year?
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman-not full? [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not usually but it is not full because there are no more Kona slots. No other reason for a lot of people to go and race there. It is a fast and flat and boring course.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman-not full? [jsosinski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The argument re: Eagleman with Kona slots -vs- Eagleman without has been kicked around on this forum a few times in the past. We will have our answer in 2015 and I hope Challenge (and others) are paying very close attention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the race is going on 20 years old and there's only so many times people will pay inflated hotel prices in a more community with little family fun to be had. I think the loss of Kona spots has hurt it but on some level this race had run its course after peaking in 2007-2010.

For a more shocking decline check out the Columbia Triathlon. From a high of 2600 athletes in 2008 to barely 600 last year that race is a mere shell of itself. The current hack organizers are offering steep registration discounts but I doubt they'll get over 700 this year.

Bon
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman-not full? [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Columbia was hurt badly by all the uncertainty at registration time last year.

I think it will come back to a degree but maybe not to the heights it reached when triathlon reached its heights.

I think olympic distance racing is having a tough go as a whole. Sprints get the newbies and everyone else is looking for an Ironman to do!
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman-not full? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
Columbia was hurt badly by all the uncertainty at registration time last year.

I think it will come back to a degree but maybe not to the heights it reached when triathlon reached its heights.

I think olympic distance racing is having a tough go as a whole. Sprints get the newbies and everyone else is looking for an Ironman to do!

Sprints get people that want to race. Ironman gets bucket-listers, but I agree on Olympic distance. Its a tough spot and not a lot of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your kind words are appreciated. As the "current hack organizer", I thought it was appropriate to respond. We acquired a couple of the Tri Columbia events when they were folding, including the Columbia Triathlon, and had only a few short weeks to produce this race. For the record, over 1,000 registered for the 2014 event and due to an unforeseen monsoon prior to the event we had to cancel the swim which led to many no-shows. We continue to look for ways to reduce the costs of this race so we can offer a more responsible registration fee which we believe is critical for its survival. Based on the bitter feedback that was received from the $160+ registration fee in years past we decided to place incentives on participation especially for those who have supported the race in the past years. We realize that it is going to take some time to get this race back to where it was or should be understanding that a 2600+ field that sells out in a weeks time is most likely not realistic and a business model should not be built off of that assumption. Our priority is to re-create a sustainable event which was on the brink of going away. This 32 year old race is important to the community where it lives and I believe it will continue to thrive. I am sorry that you feel our efforts to resurrect the Columbia Triathlon are that of "hack organizers", but I am certain that we will be over your estimated 700 this year as we exceeded that a while back which is proof of the passion which the triathlon community shares for this event. Thank you again for your thought provoking opinions.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman-not full? [jsosinski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsosinski wrote:
Not usually but it is not full because there are no more Kona slots. No other reason for a lot of people to go and race there. It is a fast and flat and boring course.

Very true. I also wouldn't discount that Challenge AC now has a half option and is only a two week difference. Why would anyone in NJ, NY, PA go to shitty Cambridge to race unless they think they are gonna get a 70.3 slot?
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman-not full? [BrianS13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianS13 wrote:
Your kind words are appreciated. As the "current hack organizer", I thought it was appropriate to respond. We acquired a couple of the Tri Columbia events when they were folding, including the Columbia Triathlon, and had only a few short weeks to produce this race. For the record, over 1,000 registered for the 2014 event and due to an unforeseen monsoon prior to the event we had to cancel the swim which led to many no-shows. We continue to look for ways to reduce the costs of this race so we can offer a more responsible registration fee which we believe is critical for its survival. Based on the bitter feedback that was received from the $160+ registration fee in years past we decided to place incentives on participation especially for those who have supported the race in the past years. We realize that it is going to take some time to get this race back to where it was or should be understanding that a 2600+ field that sells out in a weeks time is most likely not realistic and a business model should not be built off of that assumption. Our priority is to re-create a sustainable event which was on the brink of going away. This 32 year old race is important to the community where it lives and I believe it will continue to thrive. I am sorry that you feel our efforts to resurrect the Columbia Triathlon are that of "hack organizers", but I am certain that we will be over your estimated 700 this year as we exceeded that a while back which is proof of the passion which the triathlon community shares for this event. Thank you again for your thought provoking opinions.

Good reply. I did the race last year and if it wasn't for you guys stepping up, this long time event wouldn't have happened. And then you get hit with cold weather and hurricane like conditions the day before.....it wasn't pretty. Best of luck this year....and hopefully good weather.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman-not full? [BrianS13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian:

I call it like I see it and when your race website doesn't really work and missing page 404's are prevalent I think my description holds true. Your group also tried to run a triathlon before and failed. So, my opinion stands.

That said some questions:

Regarding registration....The registration cost is $140 right now. For an Olympic race. If your group were truly responsive to the "bitter feedback" you'd address that. How can Piranha Sports do an Olympic for $90 and provide the same amenities, if not more? And let's be honest you were practically giving away registrations last year to get numbers up.

Regarding community...Last year you promised to let all community charity groups into the race to fundraise, are you still doing that? In the name of "community" you promised that to many folks.

Anyhow, since I've dared speak out I am sure that your group will now unleash social media hell as is normal to confront the "haters" but that's fine. You're known for the "with us or against us" mentality and react to people asking questions with ferocity. I'll also expect the email from your leadership tomorrow telling me how I don't understand the mission, am misguided, etc. I'll probably even get the "you want people with cancer to die" from someone again too. Awesome.

Bob
Last edited by: Macho Grande: Mar 3, 15 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman-not full? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe you are talking about Challenge St.Andrews??
At Eagleman last year, there was no hurricane and temperature were hot as usual.

-D
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman-not full? [DavidBL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavidBL wrote:
Maybe you are talking about Challenge St.Andrews??
At Eagleman last year, there was no hurricane and temperature were hot as usual.

Was actually referring to the comment made about Columbia and the new organizers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not usual, but besides the lack of Kona slots already discussed Eagleman is also the same day as Challenge Williamsburg, which is only about 200 miles away. Not to mention 3 other big 70.3s that weekend - Boise, Boulder, and Victoria. You've also got Challenge Quassy the week before on the East Coast, so its likely a saturation point in terms of races at this distance. Lots of options now to try new races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What you've just said... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman-not full? [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is your wife a dirty dirty...

I love that movie. Glad I called that guy.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman-not full? [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My statements were based is facts, yours are an opinion. There is a difference.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Technically, its a quote...
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman-not full? [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, pseudo quote. He changed the word "forum" and "read".
Last edited by: prattzc: Mar 3, 15 10:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was doing the dance and feeling the flow I guess...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
Is your wife a dirty dirty...

I love that movie. Glad I called that guy.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman-not full? [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:
shitty Cambridge
Wow .............. sorry you don't like our town.
Geesh!
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman-not full? [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a non wetsuit swim that is what hurts it....
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman-not full? [SlammedStance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't count it out this year.
The Choptank was FROZEN solid last week.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman-not full? [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a week later this year. It's gonna be blazing
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman-not full? [SlammedStance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It'll definitely be blazing........ sure bet there!
Water temp currently 32 degrees there and this has got to have been one of the coldest winters here.
I'm hoping the water stays just cool enough for the wetsuit call that morning. 2013 was wetsuit legal .......... granted an earlier race date (but not by much).
Oh well ......... bring it! Whatever it is .............
Quote Reply