Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

EUREKA!!!! SILCA DISC ADAPTER
Quote | Reply
Yes, there are a couple of threads on the new(ish) Silca Disc Wheel Pump adapter...but I thought I would share some interesting information I figured out (thanks Josh) that was previously rendering my adapter no different than any other adapter.

When I first saw this product launched, I was excited because hanging on to the adapter (crack pipe) and pumping with one hand is a pain.....and let's face it....not cool ;) I tried the adapter from Silca a few times and it just flew right off....so I threw it in my toolbox. Saw a thread pop up and asked about why mine didn't work....was told I need to turn the adapter to tighten it down once on the stem. Tried again....same as any other adapter....back in the tool box.

Sat down this weekend with a tube and that D&*Mn adapter determined to figure out why it wouldn't work. Couldn't figure it out. Contacted joshatsilca and he said several others have had the problem as well....and that I need to press the adapter down even further...after it "clicked".

Bam. That was the issue. 1) If you have one of these and can't figure it out....press the adapter down until you feel a click....then press down again....turn the circular piece a quarter turn and lock it in. Eureka. 2) If you run a disc and don't have one of these, you are in the stone age...this thing is bad ass. As soon as I figured out how it worked, I went online and ordered a spare for my flat kit. Highly recommend this product....and no, I do not know Josh, didn't get mine for free.....just thought I would share an issue I had and the fix.

http://silca.cc/...isc-wheel-mini-chuck
Quote Reply
Re: EUREKA!!!! SILCA DISC ADAPTER [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll try this and check it out. Thanks for posting!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll try it. I wish they had more specific instructions on how to use it. Didn't think I needed them... I mean it's a crack pipe right?
I tried everything with mine and besides tightening the crap out of it nothing worked... and then it's a pain in the ass to take off so I'm kind of disappointed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So glad I could help and sorry that we do not yet have better technical and 'how to' info on the website yet. Working on it, but as a now two person company, we've been a bit slow working through our sales and marketing materials with so much product development and manufacturing happening!

NeverEnough is spot on, we've had a handful of customers including slowtwitchers who were unable to achieve high pressures, and in all of them the issue was that the adapter just wasn't pushed on far enough. If you have a classic style valve stem with the 3 grooves on the top, you can use those as reference: when fully installed, the three grooves will be completely inside the adapter..it is designed to reach the very bottom of the bottom-most groove. If you go by feeling, you should feel two clicks when installing the adapter, the first click is the gasket popping over the screw-down top of the valve, and the second click is the gasket popping over the actual valve stem threads..at this point, it is sealed..

The gasket is intentionally tight to increase the life expectancy, it will loosen up as you use it. In general, you should be able to achieve 120+ psi with the gasket as new without tightening the bowl. We have track athletes achieving 200+ psi by tightening the bowl, but for standard use it should just push on and push off without further need for tightening.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: EUREKA!!!! SILCA DISC ADAPTER [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, so here is our attempt at instructions...we are getting quite a few questions/requests on our website for this as well, so I'm asking for some ST feedback on how to best do it.
What do you think?

Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
Quote Reply
Re: EUREKA!!!! SILCA DISC ADAPTER [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not add a short youtube video?
Quote Reply
Re: EUREKA!!!! SILCA DISC ADAPTER [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestion. Brings up a good question, in general, do people go to youtube or the like for videos on this stuff, do you prefer video to photos or instruction manual downloads? What other video 'how-go's' would you suggest?

We are working on the future of valve extensions and feels like this may be a good outlet of instructions on that as well? I greatly appreciate everybody's suggestions!

Thanks
Josh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. Was not able to get a good seal with presta valve on disc. Will give it another shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll have to try this again as well. I have NEVER gotten the darn thing to work.

I did notice that it's schrader -> presta; a bit weird. Will have to see if my frame pump is easily convertible to schrader if I want to carry this thing with me on race day. So far, I've been hoping my CO2 adapters will fit in there no problem.
Last edited by: lightheir: Apr 23, 14 10:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Brings up a good question, in general, do people go to youtube or the like for videos on this stuff, do you prefer video to photos or instruction manual downloads? What other video 'how-go's' would you suggest?

We are working on the future of valve extensions and feels like this may be a good outlet of instructions on that as well? I greatly appreciate everybody's suggestions!

Thanks
Josh

Videos are key for first-timers.

Printed instructions are trivially easy and helpful for return folks needing a refresher. But videos do help a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been liking youtube channels for a company with all of videos and links/embedded videos on the website is how I often find out about the content. Promoting the videos on facebook/twitter help too. The Art's Cyclery channel is a decent example though I imagine you wouldn't have as much content.
Quote Reply
Re: EUREKA!!!! SILCA DISC ADAPTER [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Pooks, I was just about to ask for a recommendation on who is doing this well. You're right, the folks at Art's are doing a really nice job!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:

Personally, I prefer pictures/written instructions to videos unless it's something that's hard to explain without a video. I find that most instructional videos are too slow, but if they go too fast you have to rewind and go back and forth, and then of course many instructional videos have a bunch of useless info tacked onto the beginning. Much easier to see a written webpage, scan for exactly the info you need, stay there as long or as short as you like, and then you're done. I prefer webpages, but PDF instructions are also nice so you can download them in a convenient format to have on your local computer to access if you're somewhere without internet access.
Quote Reply
Re: EUREKA!!!! SILCA DISC ADAPTER [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've gotten an array of answers on preference for content delivery. All the electronic methods are fine but from an initial user experience, having a small printed illustration or photo (the one above is fine) in the box seems best. Look at it as belt and suspenders.

Getting an item delivered and then having to go online to know how to use it isn't great plus how many will just go try it and have a negative experience. Seems almost more true on what is a relatively simple item. Most folks wouldn't think instruction would be necessary in the first place (me included and I bought one).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:
OK, so here is our attempt at instructions...we are getting quite a few questions/requests on our website for this as well, so I'm asking for some ST feedback on how to best do it.
What do you think?

Email sent.

Mine won’t insert to that point. Gets to 2nd groove and either bottoms out or something. Then leaks when pumping. I looked at all the how to info.

IMO the chuck needs to be just 1/8” deeper along with the gasket and it would work the business.

Fwiw the lbs shop I bought from, the chuck has a black gasket, not red like the website.

Instead, if I hold the hose “just so” and use the threaded part like you’re not supposed to, it works acceptable until I just rig up a screw on presta end onto a piece of hose.

My roadside pump uses a screw on hose that fits the disc and trispoke fine.

With a tubular at least, they seem to have enough bias on the stem you can favor it on install to the outside.
Quote Reply
Re: EUREKA!!!! SILCA DISC ADAPTER [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Give us a call tomorrow: 317.964.0592 or email: support@silca.cc and we'll get you sorted.. Could be any number of things, but doesn't sound quite right as generally these things just pop on and hold.
Best
Josh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Mine won’t insert to that point. Gets to 2nd groove and either bottoms out or something. Then leaks when pumping. I looked at all the how to info.

While obviously the owner replied and can get you squared away, my initial thought is to try flipping the gasket around. Mine arrived upside down and drove me bonkers for a few weeks until I flipped it. It's been used 100's of times since with zero leakage. It lives on my Ryobi inflator.

Edit: Mine is a red gasket though.
Last edited by: dangle: Jan 11, 19 8:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My issue is much more about inability to get the extended to stay firmly in the pump (certainly without assistance from someone else) to the point where I'm totally ready to give up on adapters and buy a fumpa. Can you convince me to go back to the Silca adapter? What am I doing wrong?
Quote Reply
Re: EUREKA!!!! SILCA DISC ADAPTER [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a short video about the Silca adapter:

Quote Reply