Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ETAP and Garmin "Gear" battery
Quote | Reply
General question here and please point me somewhere if this has been discussed.

I have ETAP and Garmin. I have the "gear battery" field displayed. I generally look at the derailleur itself to see if it needs a charge so this is minor complaint but am curious what Garmin is doing.

Di2 battery level seemed very easy to read. It was a %. Gear battery is a set number of bars. For me it is always full then eventually it'll go down 1 bar but then the derailleur will read red - not quite equal to 75%...

Additionally which battery is this even referring to? How can there be only one field for two batteries? I hate the bars. I'd much rather have an accurate % shown for each the FD and RD (I do have a 1x on one bike and that I could live with bars if it was accurate).

Anyone know of a Garmin connect app that does this better? Am I just that misguided that I can't figure this out?
Quote Reply
Re: ETAP and Garmin "Gear" battery [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're overthinking it. The battery indicator displays the battery level of the weakest battery. etap only sends the same three charge levels that the LEDs report.
Quote Reply
Re: ETAP and Garmin "Gear" battery [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you leave the E-tap batteries long enough, Garmin (at least my 520 does) gives you a warning on a ride (as long as you have the battery as a field). I think I have had something like 3hrs after I get the warning.

That's when I charge.

If I forget at that point and it stops working mid-ride, I switch the front and rear (since front gets a lot less use so lasts longer...a LOT longer)....so I end up with 1x for the ride home (and then I charge).
Quote Reply