Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
ESPN 30 for 30: Slaying the Badger
Quote | Reply
These 30 for 30 shows are mostly very good. Nice to see one of our sports get highlighted. Tonight at 8 ET on ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/...age=slayingthebadger

About 'Slaying the Badger'
Film Summary
Before Lance Armstrong, there was Greg LeMond, who is now the first and only American to win the Tour de France. In this engrossing documentary, LeMond looks back at the pivotal 1986 Tour, and his increasingly vicious rivalry with friend, teammate and mentor Bernard Hinault. The reigning Tour champion and brutal competitor known as "The Badger," Hinault "promised" to help LeMond to his first victory, in return for LeMond supporting him in the previous year. But in a sport that purports to reward teamwork, it's really every man for himself.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN 30 for 30: Slaying the Badger [BionicMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big fan of the 30 for 30 series, this one should be interesting.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks interesting. Been enjoying Lemond on Eurosport during the tour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might have missed the explanation, but why is LeMond wearing a back brace?
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN 30 for 30: Slaying the Badger [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was in a car wreck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching it now, much better than "The Real House Wives of Atlanta" wife driving me crazy with these reality shows
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a great show. Helps me understand Hinault a little more.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN 30 for 30: Slaying the Badger [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great 30/30...GL, the last great american cyclist! i'm 99% sure he didn't juice.....

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting--it was an interesting show. Great to see all that old cycling footage again and fascinating to get all the involved parties' opinion on the Hinault/Lemond war.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotta love the 30 for 30 series.
Nice to see them giving some love to cycling, and for reasons that don't involve doping and/or cheating
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN 30 for 30: Slaying the Badger [HeidiC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely was interesting. I didn't follow the sport back then so it's interesting to see the dynamics of the relationship. Pretty cutthroat sport. More so than the average person would think. Nice to see ESPN cover it.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice job, liked to hear from all sides. the manager, Koechli, didn't come off too well trying to explain some of the situations that came up in 85 & 86. He had some strange tactics which wouldn't go over too well today. Like when Hinault attacked at the end of the 86 tour and LeMond was behind with Zimmermann? and Koechil said if you want to win then attack Zimmermann and go get Hinault. Seems kind of strange to attack and maybe drag Zimmermann up to Hinault? Also, at this time Koechil didn't go up to Hinault at this time and say what are you doing, attacking your teammate and the race leader? Koechil didn't have good answers for me.

As an aside, I thought Kathy LeMond looked better today than 28 years ago.

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN 30 for 30: Slaying the Badger [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shivermetimbers wrote:
great 30/30...GL, the last great american cyclist! i'm 99% sure he didn't juice.....

Except for that magical vitamin B shot
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN 30 for 30: Slaying the Badger [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
shivermetimbers wrote:

Except for that magical vitamin B shot

I think you mean hatorade.....

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched this last night and I really enjoyed it.

Koechli seemed uncomfortable when confronted with may of the questions, especially when there was film to contridict what he was saying. It had to be tough for LeMond to know that not only was Hinault not on his side, but neither was his director Koechli or Bernard Tapei much of the time. You wouldn't expect Koechli to take sides would you? After all - he was Swiss!!!

I became a cyclist in the late 90's and unfortunately missed the LeMond era. I always rooted for Marco Pantani and Jan Ullrich - I was always sort of an anti Lance kind of guy for some reason. I remember having three posters in college - one of LeMond, one of Ullrich, and one of Pantani - but only room for two of them on the wall. Unfortunately the LeMond poster didn't make the cut. Today it would probably be the only one that would.

Maybe now I'll have to go find myself a nice retro La Vie Claire jersey to make myself feel better about not appreciating his talent all of these years.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN 30 for 30: Slaying the Badger [xixiviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too was able to enjoy this documentary. I got into cycling at a very young age because of Lemond! I remember to this day reading about Greg when he was shot and littered with pellets and almost lost his life. If my memory serves correct, I started riding my uncles Huffy at the age of 9 in the late 80's and his impact in American cycling is one like no other.

To get a glimpse of the cycling culture from the Badger's translated side is very much enlightening.

Go watch this if you have a love for the sport of rivalry, tactics and an American threading in uncharted territory.

70 point something - Felt, Profile Twenty Four, Shimano
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does this including Lemond whining Ad nauseam about how Hinault agreed to support him and instead going for the win instead?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if there will be a reply or if I can stream this from somewhere? I tried going to WatchEspn and ESPN3 but couldn't find anything. Nor could I see it on the schedule of upcoming programs
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN 30 for 30: Slaying the Badger [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
July 26 7:30 AM ESPN 2

Aug 20 2:30 AM ESPN 2

times are EST
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN 30 for 30: Slaying the Badger [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does this including Lemond whining Ad nauseam about how Hinault agreed to support him and instead going for the win instead?

Quit whining and watch it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slaying the badger meant something completely different in my single days.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN 30 for 30: Slaying the Badger [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
July 26 7:30 AM ESPN 2

Aug 20 2:30 AM ESPN 2

times are EST

Excellent, thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN 30 for 30: Slaying the Badger [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huge LeMond fan, but I always thought Koechli was totally rational. He just wanted to ensure an LVC win and didn't care who it was, but the key was not to help put other riders from other teams in a situation where they might end up ahead of one of the LVC guys. So I think his telling LeMond to attack Zimmerman made sense, as long as Le Mond didn't drag Zimmerman up. Same as in 1985, if you can get Hinault, do it, but don't pull Roche up to Hinault in the process.

I think LeMond was just naive and young and didn't get the tactics. That being said, Hinault did some dumb stuff in 1986 as well.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN 30 for 30: Slaying the Badger [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then why did he not use that magical shot in 91? Or in other parts of his career if thats what you are implying. Please share on any known doper that only did it once? If you have some serious evidence on Lemond, please share. Armstrong offered lots of money for some but did not get any, so what you got?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I liked it, good to see the older footage plus get Hinault's perspective. Best part I thought was the interview the two of them did for French TV just a half-hour after finishing the climb up Alpe d'Huez together and Hinault proclaiming the race over, only to say the complete opposite while LeMond had a "WTF?!?!?!?" look on his face as he sat next to him in disbelief.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply

Prev Next