Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dye, Kaye, Haskins and other athletes that used to focus on non-draft Olympics
Quote | Reply
Now that Lifetime has killed off non-drafting Olympics, does anyone know what these guys are doing?

I'm sure it varies on a person to person basis (some might try to refashion their skillset to act as domestics for draft legal, some might try to stretch to 70.3s), but I'd be interested in hearing how their focus has changed and what they're doing differently, so if anyone has any info, please feel free to post it.
Quote Reply
Re: Dye, Kaye, Haskins and other athletes that used to focus on non-draft Olympics [WILLEATFORFOOD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like they're shifting to half distance. Challenge posted this article on Cam Dye:
http://www.challenge-familyusa.com/cam-dye-steps-up

And Kaye has raced Challenge Dubai and Oceanside already this year. She did pretty well, but nothing compared to her dominance at the olympic distance.

http://trainingwheelsrequired.wordpress.com
@KellyNCollier
Last edited by: kncollier2: Apr 21, 15 9:46
Quote Reply
Re: Dye, Kaye, Haskins and other athletes that used to focus on non-draft Olympics [WILLEATFORFOOD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what they told me Alicia and Sarah will be doing a lot more halfs, and Sarah plans some fulls
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WILLEATFORFOOD wrote:
Now that Lifetime has killed off non-drafting Olympics, does anyone know what these guys are doing?
I'm sure it varies on a person to person basis (some might try to refashion their skill-set to act as domestics for draft legal, some might try to stretch to 70.3s), but I'd be interested in hearing how their focus has changed and what they're doing differently, so if anyone has any info, please feel free to post it.

St. Anthony's is offering prize $$$ this weekend, and I think Gulf Coast Tri and Memphis in May are still offering prize $$$. So, have things really changed that much??? I think in the past most pro's raced at least up to the half iron dist, which is what the GCT is. St. A's and MIM are both oly dist.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Dye, Kaye, Haskins and other athletes that used to focus on non-draft Olympics [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Memphis in May are still offering prize $$$.

From the looks of the website I just see the Amatuer Challenge 5K divided among 30 people. This is something they have had for a while but I don't see anything indicating a pro race. Losing Lifetime and Rev series was a big change to pro schedule. May not look like that many races but it supported a bunch of athletes.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Dye, Kaye, Haskins and other athletes that used to focus on non-draft Olympics [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how the pay is if they went onto a individual sport focus? Perhaps dye going into pure cycling or how is it in the swimming world? Would be an interesting slowtwitch main article comparing pay of triathlon to the individual sports
Last edited by: synthetic: Apr 24, 15 8:15
Quote Reply
Re: Dye, Kaye, Haskins and other athletes that used to focus on non-draft Olympics [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Dye, Kaye, Haskins and other athletes that used to focus on non-draft Olympics [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Memphis in May are still offering prize $$$.

From the looks of the website I just see the Amatuer Challenge 5K divided among 30 people. This is something they have had for a while but I don't see anything indicating a pro race. Losing Lifetime and Rev series was a big change to pro schedule. May not look like that many races but it supported a bunch of athletes.

St. A's is offering $10,000 for the winner, 5000 2nd, 3750 3rd, and down to 500 for 10th. Surely they aren't the only independent race offering some $$$. Not trying to argue but just saying that there do appear to be some non-ITU, non-WTC races still around. Obv not enough:)

Quote Reply
Re: Dye, Kaye, Haskins and other athletes that used to focus on non-draft Olympics [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I saw that. Decent money, and the start list is very thin compared to year's past. Kind of shocked how thin it is, probably the easiest pay day a qualified pro would have all year. I think with Olympic non-draft mostly going away people forgot about St A's.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
WILLEATFORFOOD wrote:
I'm sure it varies on a person to person basis (some might try to refashion their skill-set to act as domestics for draft legal, some might try to stretch to 70.3s), but I'd be interested in hearing how their focus has changed and what they're doing differently, so if anyone has any info, please feel free to post it.

St. Anthony's is offering prize $$$ this weekend, and I think Gulf Coast Tri and Memphis in May are still offering prize $$$. So, have things really changed that much??? I think in the past most pro's raced at least up to the half iron dist, which is what the GCT is. St. A's and MIM are both oly dist.

Are you kidding? A few prize purses compared to a $450,000 series? A few small prize purses compares nothing to what pros had going at the Olympic distance with Lifetime and Rev.

From Triathlete: (Read more at http://triathlon.competitor.com/...#WSqFE1Yicudj58qO.99)

Quote:
The total 2013 Life Time Tri pro series cash purse will include $250,000 in individual race awards throughout the series. The top finishers of the Life Time Tri Series, to be determined at Life Time Tri Oceanside, will win part of an additional $200,000 cash prize.

That $450,000 is without even talking about the money REV had.

Yea, things have changed that much.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haskins won her debut 70.3 at San Juan last month and will be competing for the cash at St Anthony's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Yes I saw that. Decent money, and the start list is very thin compared to year's past. Kind of shocked how thin it is, probably the easiest pay day a qualified pro would have all year. I think with Olympic non-draft mostly going away people forgot about St A's.

They'd prob let you in if you called today:) Or are you in the middle of a big training block, and/or planning to race elsewhere this weekend???

Quote Reply
Re: Dye, Kaye, Haskins and other athletes that used to focus on non-draft Olympics [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
WILLEATFORFOOD wrote:

Are you kidding? A few prize purses compared to a $450,000 series? A few small prize purses compares nothing to what pros had going at the Olympic distance with Lifetime and Rev.

From Triathlete: (Read more at http://triathlon.competitor.com/...#WSqFE1Yicudj58qO.99)

Quote:
The total 2013 Life Time Tri pro series cash purse will include $250,000 in individual race awards throughout the series. The top finishers of the Life Time Tri Series, to be determined at Life Time Tri Oceanside, will win part of an additional $200,000 cash prize.

That $450,000 is without even talking about the money REV had.

Yea, things have changed that much.

OK, OK, I'm sorry for being so misinformed. Thanks for that link. Just too much triathlon news to keep up with:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand it is just business but it is such a disappointment to me that they pulled the prize purses in the series. Personally, I really like the Olympic distance both from a racing and spectating point of view.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Dye, Kaye, Haskins and other athletes that used to focus on non-draft Olympics [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
I understand it is just business but it is such a disappointment to me that they pulled the prize purses in the series. Personally, I really like the Olympic distance both from a racing and spectating point of view.

Ya, I've always though the non-drafting oly dist with a full 1500 m swim, i.e. many of the ones i've done have been short, is the fairest test of overall triathlon ability. Fortunately, for amateurs there are still plenty of these around.

Quote Reply