Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dumb Question
Quote | Reply
I'm just an ignorant roadie when it comes to the timing aspect of tri's, but I recently captained my tandem for a blind triathlete's bike leg. Here's the question: I clocked our bike ride from foot-up to foot-down - no transition time included. The official bike split was 6+ minutes more than I clocked. If the three legs all add up to the official total time (no separate transition splits given), is there a standard protocol for assigning the transition times to a particular leg? I ask because I have a hard time believing that his swim-bike transition was 6+ minutes and his run split seems reasonable as a stand-alone time.

Thanks.

vo"dumber than a box of rocks"2
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb Question [vo2max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, there's no such thing as a dumb question...but there are tons of inquisitive idiots :)

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses—behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the race. If you wear a chip and there's a mat at water's edge and at the bike start/finish and at the end of the run chute going out, then you'll get true transition times. Sometimes RDs lump the transition time in with one of the event times, so you'd have to ask what the deal is in this particular race.

Anyway, winner of the race is the one with the overall fastest time. Good on ya for riding with a blind athlete!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you got only three splits during the race, most likely both transitions were dumped into the bike split. It depends on the where the RD wanted to put his timing mats, but that is the common practice.
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb Question [Fizzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey! I represent that remark!

vo"take me down to the shallow waters, before I get too deep"2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just where was this race,if i might ask?
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb Question [randall t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Randall,

The race was exactly where you think it was and I am exactly who you think I am!

vo"cloak and dagger"2
Quote Reply