Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Duke Blue Devil entry fee $275
Quote | Reply
DBD entries opened Jan1 at $275. All but $25 goes to cancer research. Where does all that money go from WTC races

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Blue Devil entry fee $275 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultramax was $250 until 01/01/03 and is now $275. Same deal--money goes to charity. Good question you pose.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pulled this information off the race director's website. www.set-upinc.com

I completed this race last year and really enjoyed it. (As much as one can enjoy 13 hours of hills.) The following contains quite a bit of reading, but it tells you where the money is going to be used. I hope this information helps.

Duke / Hope Lodge

YOUR MONEY WILL HELP SO MANY

What makes the “Duke Blue Devil” different from any other iron distance triathlon is that all the proceeds will go to help towards cancer patients… 50% funding research and clinical trials at the Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center and 50% going to help construct Hope Lodge.

(All but $25 of your registration fee, any additional donations you choose to make and all sponsorship dollars will be 100% tax deductible and you will receive an official receipt from the Duke Gift Records department.)

Hope Lodge … a gift of hope for patients

Since its creation in 1990, The Duke Pediatric Bone Marrow & Stem Cell Transplant (BMT) Program has transplanted over 800 children suffering from cancer, genetic defects or blood disorders. Today, over half of these children are surviving long-term, cured of their underlying disease by their transplant. With a current waiting list of 30-40 children, and a referral base that is world-wide, the Duke Pediatric BMT Program is the largest children’s transplant program in the world, now transplanting some 100 children annually. It is a program of last resort: These children have a life expectancy of less than one year without a transplant.

Families must relocate to Durham for an average of 4-6 months while their child undergoes transplantation and follow up treatment. During this time, they must live within 10 minutes of Duke University Medical Center (DUMC) because of the possibility of infections and other life-threatening complications. Care of a child undergoing a transplant is not only lengthy and complicated, but also very expensive. Many families have exhausted their resources fighting their child’s disease. About half have government-funded Medicaid as their only source of insurance. Local motels are expensive, cannot provide protective isolation, or a home-like environment that encourages all-important emotional support. The local Ronald McDonald House is also unable to accommodate the exacting specifications required for these medically fragile children.

Hope Lodge is a truly unique project, which is a partnership between the American Cancer Society and the Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center. The American Cancer Society has established several adult Hope Lodges across the country, and now the Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center has a great opportunity to join forces with this organization to establish the only pediatric Hope Lodge.

Hope Lodge is a non-medical residential facility providing free overnight accommodations in a home-like setting to cancer patients (and their companions) while they are undergoing extended periods of outpatient treatment. Lodging is available on first come – first served basis. Free transportation to and from treatment is also provided.

At Duke, the guests in this lodge will be children who are facing the fight for their lives with a stem cell transplant – a treatment that was pioneered at the Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center. Accompanied by their parents, these precious little ones will have a special place to stay surrounded by others like them who are facing a difficult challenge. Hope Lodge will provide a warm, inviting place where friendships will be fostered among children who have so much in common. With no hair, little energy, and the added challenge of being away from home, they will have a place filled with lots of love and hope as they battle for their life. Friendships will be made and strength will be drawn from others who are fighting a similar battle. For many of these children, Hope Lodge will provide a much better place to stay than many of them have ever seen.

The Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center

The NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers were established to be national leaders in cancer treatment, research and education. To attain recognition from the National Cancer Institute as a comprehensive cancer center, an institution must pass rigorous peer review, and have a strong core of basic laboratory research, clinical research, and the ability to transfer research findings into clinical practice.

The Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center, one of 40 such centers in the country, has maintained its comprehensive status since its inception in 1972. The Duke Center has repeatedly played a leading role in understanding the causes of cancer and in developing new approaches for the prevention, detection and treatment of cancer. In 1998, the Cancer Center received an “outstanding” score from the National Cancer Institute on its core grant renewal application and site visit. This is the highest rating given to any research institution. In addition, U.S. News & World Report has consistently ranked Duke among the nation’s top ten centers for cancer care.

Each year, more than 4,700 cancer patients come to Duke for the treatment of cancer. Drawn by the Cancer Center’s national and international reputation, nearly one-fourth of these patients comes from outside of North Carolina. In addition, cancer patients make more than 85,000 visits per year to our outpatient clinics for treatment or follow-up care.

Thank you for participating in this one-of-a-kind event. Your support will allow us to do so much for so many. If you would like to make a contribution, in addition to your registration fee, you will be able to do so during registration. We greatly appreciate your generosity. For additional information about Hope Lodge or the Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center, please contact:

Dorrys McArdle
mcard002@mc.duke.edu
919-667-2616.

Quote Reply
Re: Duke Blue Devil entry fee $275 [Go Heels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
at first, $275 sounds outrageous to spend for a race, but if it is for charity the price doesnt seem so steep. Still, however, if only $25 are needed to cover costs, i think the price should be around $150 for an entry fee, with a space for a write in donation on the entry form. This may make the race available for more people. That is my $.02.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Where does all that money go from WTC races

It is profit. That is free enterprise.

Everybody who feels that they can put one on for an entry fee of $25, please do so. I will be there with $25 ready to race.

I am sure they are getting certain things for free, such as their site.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Blue Devil entry fee $275 [P2kman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My $.02 - There are enough people who arguably are not prepared to race an IM are doing them with a $375 entry fee. At $25 there would be no commitment required. Higher entry fees, though they suck for people who race a lot, do at least inspire a bit of commitment from the people writing the cheque.

Yeah it's a bit elitist, but I would hate for someone to croak at an IM and their family to sue and say that they didn't know what they were getting into.

Quote Reply
Re: Duke Blue Devil entry fee $275 [Marlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think you are misinterpreting my post. I said that if the event is going to charity, more athletes may race at a $150 race than a $275. Clearly $25 for an IM is too low. Also, on every race I have been in, there is always a disclaimer saying "Triathlon is a sport which may result in death... blah blah." That is what keeps on from filing a lawsuit due to lack of commitment. Raising the price is a poor way to make races safer. However, raising the prices of races, is a sure way to keep new racers out of the sport.. I personally have not completed an ironman, but, a $275 race fee is a bit excessive no matter what the distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Blue Devil entry fee $275 [P2kman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The money is used as profit margin. I think that's perfectly acceptable. Whether it be Graham Frazer and IMNA charging $425 for IMCdA or DBD charging $275. These are acceptable fees.

Honestly, I've done a lot of racing and, IN GENERAL, you get what you pay for. WTC produces excellent, predictable, safe events with no corners cut (don't everyone start bringing up IMUtah either because I think it was an anomoly). They create an carnival-like atmosphere which makes athletes and their families feel special.

In 1999, I raced a first-year IM-distance race in Ohio that was a TOTAL disaster. Too many cut corners, disorganization, and unsafe. If WTC makes a profit, but throws an event which I love...so be it. In addition, races have limited capacity so it's fine to charge whatever the market will bear.

Some RDs now believe there is a market for lower-cost events. They are willing to eat margin in an attempt to grab market share...Time will tell if it's a winning strategy.

Don't begrudge RDs for making money (they aren't getting rich...I can assure you of that). They shouldn't be treated any differently than equipment manufacturers who often make 35 points of margin on the equipment they sell.

Quite honestly, I don't think high entry fees will drive people away from the sport nearly as fast as poorly-run, unsafe events...

Just my $.02

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Blue Devil entry fee $275 [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uhhhh guys. it does not, in the race materials, say that "all but $25 of the $275 is going to cancer research" what it says is that all but $25 of the $275 is tax deductable. little different story.
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Blue Devil entry fee $275 [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a charity race last summer, the Rifle Off Road Challenge. I paid the promoter $175, he cancelled a week before the race, and gave back $100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman races cost more because they are a business and need to make a profit. Other things to consider .... prize money, meals (carbo and awards), web sites, etc. There is also licensing to the WTC. I know that the Quelle Challenge dropped their entry fees last year (and they were already a substantial amount less than the north American ironman races to begin with) since they didn't have to pay for the m-dot anymore.

Obviously with all the IMNA races filling up so many months in advance, Graham and his team are producing a product that people believe is worth spending the money on. I for one, plan on being fit enough in June to get a qualifying spot for Lake Placid, Wisconsin or Florida and will have to cough up the cash then. I did ironman Canada in 1999 and it was worth every penny that it cost me.
Quote Reply