Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Duathlon Nats Training Tweaks
Quote | Reply
Since duathlon nats are in my backyard, I'm going to give it a go. I've done several duathlons, but I never really trained specifically for them, I just kept on tri training. Given the following 'typical' Oly tri training week (this would be at about week 8 of 21), what tweaks should I make to be more prepared for duathlon?

Monday: Swim-2000
Tuesday: Run-5x1.5K @ 10K pace, Bike-60 minutes ez
Wednesday: Swim-2000
Thursday: Bike-10x2min @ 120FTP Run-40min ez (not a brick)
Friday: Swim-2000
Saturday: Bike 120minutes w/ 3x20 @ 85-90%FTP Run: 15min transition run
Sunday: Run 16K w/ 2x3.5K @ 10K pace, non-efforts EZ

When, and where would the run-bike bricks start to show? Also, I don't want to completely drop the swim, this is probably one of two duathlons I'll do all year...
Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nats Training Tweaks [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did both Du National races last year in what like 5 hours. Just about killed me. I hope to be back this year and do all 3, which really might kill me.

I did zero training changes for these races, compared to my normal Tri training.

I just train 1 to 3 hours a day, 7 days a week, and try to stay healthy!!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run and ride every day.
Do 2 to 3 hard runs per week (intervals, tempo etc...) and two hard rides per week.
All other training is just aerobic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd add in a run on Wednesday & Friday.

I'd use races for bricks. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=1816193#p1816193

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nats Training Tweaks [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I'd add in a run on Wednesday & Friday.

I'd use races for bricks. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=1816193#p1816193

Thanks for the input. Agree that transition runs are overrated. I'll probably even drop the short 15-minute t-run. Seems like a sacrifice in quality running and increased injury potential. Any structure to those two added runs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I think bricks depend on your particular abilities. If you are a strong runner, I don't think you need to do a lot in the way of bricks, certainly not more than you usually do for triathlon training. It is also hard to make tweaks based on a "typical week", I think most training would be structured into a minimum of 2-4 week blocks, with very few quality workouts being repeated on a weekly basis. My main observation about your typical weak is that there seems to be a lot of quality. I focus on at most one hard bike and one hard run workout per week, and the rest easy, so if anything I would suggest replace two of your swim days with easy bike or run and then add a rest day (because you seem to have a lot of quality). It may be age dependent, I'll be 42 this year and I feel like the hard workouts take a bit of a toll. I can still go hard, but I need at least two days to recover properly which gets me onto no more than two workouts a week.

A few observations about the Bend course. The altitude is around 4000', it is enough to make you notice. As such I would think a little more base is helpful. Likewise, the Bend course, including the run is quite hilly. Taken together this is more of a strength than a speed course, however running and biking downhill fast will help you on this course as there are plenty of opportunities. It's been a good winter in OR so I've been able to get out on XC and AT skis four times already and I find this is a great way to build strength and get in some altitude work.
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Jan 23, 17 21:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First post ever! And on a tangent.

I'm new at the duathlon and also plan to be in Cary this spring.

My question is with regards to power output on the bike. Based on my FTP, is there a conversion chart or a theory on how to compute what I should average for the bike leg, knowing I have a run after?

Or if I'm way off base with my assumption I'd appreciate some guidance.

Coach at RunnersConnect
Coach of Progressive Performance Endurance
@p2endurance; p2endurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nats Training Tweaks [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I walk slowly from my house, I'd make it to the start line in about 10 minutes! I know the course almost too well.
Been thinking since my first post and will probably go more polarized to start and get in some tempo near the end.
Personally, I don't feel the need to do much for traditional bricks. Might put in some run-bike bricks though. Seems like they'd be easier to recover from.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Might put in some run-bike bricks though. Seems like they'd be easier to recover from.

Ding ding ding winner winner. It's also harder to ride after running than after swimming. There is a reason why triathletes don't participate in many duathlons. I

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nats Training Tweaks [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must live in FL, because this run course is not hilly. I talked to several people after the standard distance race and they all complained about the hilliness of the course. I was a little freaked out. There are a couple small hills. I wouldn't even call them hills. The bike course, however, uphill for the first half of the loop, then directly back downhill. THAT is a hill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to train a lot are your transitions. Duathlon, especially short course, demands fast transitions. None of those shower-and-a-picnic triathlon transitions. You need flying mounts, dismounts, etc. That's also a good time to work running hard off the bike.

Other than that, I don't usually do a ton of brick work. Just hard running and cycling workouts.
Quote Reply