Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Drought impacts on Lake Tahoe
Quote | Reply
Ouch

http://www.laketahoenews.net/...-life-at-lake-tahoe/

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Drought impacts on Lake Tahoe [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about Lake San Antonio (Wildflower).

Water rationing in the state, or business as usual?
Quote Reply
Re: Drought impacts on Lake Tahoe [PanamaRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PanamaRed wrote:
What about Lake San Antonio (Wildflower).

Water rationing in the state, or business as usual?

5% just like last year.

20% asking reduction. Some places have totally run out of water. Just depends where you are.
Donner lake is perfect. Folsom is good enough for Auburn and TBFracing races.\

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Drought impacts on Lake Tahoe [PanamaRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in SoCal where we've been hit the hardest and the water restrictions really don't seem like they're amounting to much. I'd say it's far closer to "business as usual" than anyone feeling any particular squeeze.

I get a real sense a of foreboding about the whole thing. We had another miserable year in terms of rainfall and we've consistently been 5-10 degrees above seasonal averages for what seems like 2 years now. Everyone seems to just pretending everything is fine or talking about the great beach weather we've had rather than think about what this summer is going to be like.

If this really does turn out to be a 10-year 'mega drought' we're totally screwed, but California is pretty overdue for a home price correction so might be good dose of reality...
Quote Reply
Re: Drought impacts on Lake Tahoe [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
I live in SoCal where we've been hit the hardest and the water restrictions really don't seem like they're amounting to much. I'd say it's far closer to "business as usual" than anyone feeling any particular squeeze.

I get a real sense a of foreboding about the whole thing. We had another miserable year in terms of rainfall and we've consistently been 5-10 degrees above seasonal averages for what seems like 2 years now. Everyone seems to just pretending everything is fine or talking about the great beach weather we've had rather than think about what this summer is going to be like.

If this really does turn out to be a 10-year 'mega drought' we're totally screwed, but California is pretty overdue for a home price correction so might be good dose of reality...

You'll be really screwed when norcal keeps the water we pipe to you...

People in my neighborhood in Sacramento are converting their lawns to low water desert-scapes ------- we just stopped watering ours a year ago. It's surprisingly green still.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well ii guess the only good news is that lake tahoe is really deep, and should be able to ride out this mega drought. It will play havoc on many lake front homes and docks, but that is minor to the really big issue, getting more water back in the lake.

Smaller lakes like San Antonio are the real losers right now, virtually dry except for their last bits near the dams..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
California to Turn Rainy, Northeast to Warm Up by Mid-April

By Alex Sosnowski, AccuWeather.com Senior MeteorologistMarch 30, 2015; 9:24 PM ET
More Sharing ServicesShare | Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on linkedin

[/url]
A significant change in the weather pattern is anticipated for much of the United States during the middle of April.
The pattern change could bring some rain and cooler conditions to California and the Southwest, snow for the high country of the Sierra Nevada and Rockies and colder weather for Alaska, according to AccuWeather long-range meteorologists.

According to AccuWeather Meteorologist Ben Noll, "There is increasing confidence in the arrival of a Pacific storm late next week, which can bring meaningful rains especially to central and northern California with some rain reaching as far south as Southern California."
The rainfall may extend beyond one storm. From mid-April into May, multiple storms loaded with moisture have the potential to track from the Southwest to the Deep South.
ADVERTISEMENT
The pattern change could erase the persistent chill in the Northeast. The number of days with near- to above-average warmth could outnumber the chillier-than-average days in much of the mid-Atlantic, central Appalachians and the Ohio Valley.
Quote Reply
Re: Drought impacts on Lake Tahoe [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced Xterra in T. City last year and it was a 200+ yd crawl/sculling to the deep water start

monty wrote:
Well ii guess the only good news is that lake tahoe is really deep, and should be able to ride out this mega drought. It will play havoc on many lake front homes and docks, but that is minor to the really big issue, getting more water back in the lake.

Smaller lakes like San Antonio are the real losers right now, virtually dry except for their last bits near the dams..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

-----------------------------------
I live in SoCal and I agree with you. BUT what the average household uses or cuts back will make little impact on the water supply. It's agriculture that uses most of the water and they don't pay for water like the average household does. Don't get me wrong in my home we've changed our water habits but not sure how much good it does.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Drought impacts on Lake Tahoe [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longboarder wrote:
It's agriculture that uses most of the water and they don't pay for water like the average household does.

I've been following this a little and this is where the action is at... there will be a water market correction soon for CA, or rather, the beginning of a water market finally.

that said, the amount of super green lawns in LA and OC are a bit much and needs to change.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of all the things people panic about that mean nothing, here is one that should be dominating the news, and nobody really seems concerned.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Drought impacts on Lake Tahoe [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that said, the amount of super green lawns in LA and OC are a bit much and needs to change.
--------
I was reading an article on how water consumption in higher income households is much higher then lower income homes. Also households in San Fransciso use less water then SoCal.

My thinking on this. Northern Cal gets more rain so less need to water the lawn etc. more people not having lawns, apartments and city living.

In SoCal I would think a home in Beveraly Hills/OC would have nice big lawns so higher water usage.

And yes this needs to change

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Mar 31, 15 8:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We can run a pipeline from great lakes to tahoe!
That should solve water shortage problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Drought impacts on Lake Tahoe [Me_XMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Great Lakes States are one step ahead of you all. There is a federal law and agreements with Canada that control any water diversions from the Great Lakes. California will have to go to war with the Midwest, and Canada, to get our water ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Drought impacts on Lake Tahoe [Me_XMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Houses in San Francisco tend not to have yards at all, or minimal yards, as opposed to SoCal. If you included all of the Bay Area I think that would change a lot. Also, Socal, being warmer, probably has more pools per capita and thus, more water usages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Longboarder wrote:
-----------------------------------
I live in SoCal and I agree with you. BUT what the average household uses or cuts back will make little impact on the water supply. It's agriculture that uses most of the water and they don't pay for water like the average household does. Don't get me wrong in my home we've changed our water habits but not sure how much good it does.

I used to live in Carmel about 30 years ago. My wife and I were limited to 99 gallons of water a day, while my distant relative in the central valley irrigated his peaches and paid less for water than I did and received 400 acre feet/month.

I do appreciate eating much of the food that comes from California.

I wonder if Sierra Nevada Brewery expanded into North Carolina because of a lack of water?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Longboarder wrote:

This. We just drove to Shaver lake last week (it is hit by drought bad) and along the way we saw the endless lettuce/almonds fields in the Fresno/Bakersfield area getting watered in the middle of the fucking day. In the 80+ degree weather. So yeah - we need to change that side of the equation before any meaningful reductions can occur.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Drought impacts on Lake Tahoe [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Longboarder wrote:

This. We just drove to Shaver lake last week (it is hit by drought bad) and along the way we saw the endless lettuce/almonds fields in the Fresno/Bakersfield area getting watered in the middle of the fucking day. In the 80+ degree weather. So yeah - we need to change that side of the equation before any meaningful reductions can occur.

I'm not from CA originally but after moving here would always here about how the central valley is the essential agricultural heart of the state. Imagine my surprise driving through and discovering that this veritable agricultural eden looks far more naturally suited to be a barren wasteland or the scene of the next mad max movie.

My mind was pretty blown trying to figure out how the hell turning the desert into farmland was sustainable. Guess now I know the answer, it isn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, the thing is that it is used to be a wet marshland for most part... before some huge projects of the early to mid 20th century diverted the streams from San Joaquin river and its massive delta in the Owens valley to the LA area - for farming and the hydropower generation.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:

My mind was pretty blown trying to figure out how the hell turning the desert into farmland was sustainable. Guess now I know the answer, it isn't.

We run into the same problems in Australia, we have stacks of farmland located in borderline desert, which is then effected by droughts at regular intervals. The long term outlook for California isn't great, if i were living in that state or farming, I'd be concerned about the next 20-50 years, it looks like climate change will have massive negative effects there.
Quote Reply
Re: Drought impacts on Lake Tahoe [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Longboarder wrote:

+1

Daytime watering limits and drip irrigation for farms (along with reasonable water pricing) will do far more than urban lawn watering initiatives.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply