Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dropping the technology
Quote | Reply
Been using PT and Garmin for several years and I'm getting tired of all the metrics. Any comments on giving up the data driven training...
Quote Reply
Re: Dropping the technology [plant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you don't like it
the only other question is whether you think it is making you faster and whether you care.

If not, toss it

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try it for a few workouts and see. If you like it, throw the technology in a drawer. I like to mix up workouts where I'm staring at numbers, and workouts where I s/b/r by feel. In races I have the technology there, but just go by feel with periodical checking of pace
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
plant wrote:
Been using PT and Garmin for several years and I'm getting tired of all the metrics. Any comments on giving up the data driven training...

I am on zero technology generally 5 days per week, certainly in the non winter months. 2 days per week, I'll ride with power, or hit the track (the original gps for running) or use the GPS or actually measure split times in the pool. The rest of the time, as Fleck would say JFT.

In the winter months, there are probably too many workout where I can measure effort because I am on the treadmill for many runs. I do ride my rollers or spin bike several times a week just on feel. I'm too competitive with myself to be data driven every day. Any time there is a number staring me in the face, I will try to improve it. That's not good for every workout because I end up doing too much training that is slightly too hard for what I should be doing too often.

I think it was Brett Sutton (OK, please let's stick to the topic of workout) who has his athletes do the set at the track, without knowing their times. Just feel, but they do the entire workout and just push as hard as their body that day will allow them too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am driven by no numbers. I track a few now which seem to show if I have recovered from a race, but nothing really changes how I train, or race. Fun to just keep it simple and enjoy the ability to just do this stuff.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on how much time you have.

If you have all the time in the world to train, train by feel.

If you are really crunched for training time, a power meter is the only way to go.

Andy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My name is Michael, and I'm a data-holic. ("Hi Michael!)
Today's ride, I extended the loop to stop for a water refill at a buddies house. When I uploaded to TP, the entry was yellow because it was outside the planned time/distance. Yet earlier in the week I skipped a short run because my wife had a rough day, and I made her dinner etc. both freak me out. Not healthy to be as obsessed as I am with these targets. I should go into tech rehab for a while and start enjoying the time on the road.
Point is, unless the data helps you achieve something, training your log instead of your body can end badly.

(My opinions change without notice)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't use a power meter, only time distance and speed. Go by feel. It's less stress and cheaper.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropping the technology [mpderksen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mpderksen wrote:
My name is Michael, and I'm a data-holic. ("Hi Michael!)
Today's ride, I extended the loop to stop for a water refill at a buddies house. When I uploaded to TP, the entry was yellow because it was outside the planned time/distance. Yet earlier in the week I skipped a short run because my wife had a rough day, and I made her dinner etc. both freak me out. Not healthy to be as obsessed as I am with these targets. I should go into tech rehab for a while and start enjoying the time on the road.
Point is, unless the data helps you achieve something, training your log instead of your body can end badly.

(My opinions change without notice)

Haha, I can sort of relate. Last week, I stopped to take a pee during during my long run out in the country. I caught myself side-shuffling as I was peeing to continue moving forward, because my tracking software (RaceDay) counts paused segments towards the average pace/power for the workout. Had to laugh at my craziness.

I also find that data can make training more onerous and less fun. But, IMO, that's mainly because a power meter, pace clock or watch make you work harder. The more data-driven my training has become, the faster I've become. For me, the trade-off of less enjoyable training for better performance is worthwhile. But I also recognize that enjoying training, to some degree, ultimately drives long-term success in the sport.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Data and metrics are a huge help to guide your training, when it drives your training it can squash the enjoyment which can also make it counter productive.

---------------------
Jordan Oroshiba --- Roadie invading Triathlete space for knowledge access
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are on a structured training plan then use them..

If not what use are the numbers... simple as that..
Quote Reply