Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dropouts with Stages Crank Arm Power Meters
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for feedback on people experiencing problems with intermittent drops outs with Stages Power Meters. Particularly if you encounter problems with drop outs with a watch type device like the Garmin 910XT or 920 when worn on the wrist.

I got a Stages PM about 2.5 yrs ago to train for IMFL 2015. It seemed like a reasonably priced approach, and it was "compatible" with my Garmin 910. I got the left crank only, to keep the $ down, and to allow me to "easily" swap between road and Tri bikes.

Well, all went very well when I was training since I would always take the time to mount the Garmin on the handlebar when in training. Never had any problems with drop outs. Then my first tri came. Since it was a sprint, I didn't bother to take the time to mount the Garmin, and left it on my wrist after the swim. Imagine my surprise when the power trace looked like a long line of pumpkin teeth!

After calls to Garmin and Stages and the oft reported "It's THIER problem!" I read somewhere or maybe Stages told me about mounting the Garmin on the handlebar, particularly on the left side, the same as the crank. This got my rusty old engineering brain cranking. I no longer have access to the type of electronic measuring devices that would allow me to prove my hypothisis, but here's what I think is going on.

First a short course of antenna theory.

Antennas have ideal patterns based on a lot of factors, far too complex to explain here. But lets start by thinking about two perfect "point" antennas.

The pattern for this type of antenna is a sphere, radiating out from the point equally in all directions like the sun, and decreasing rapidly as the distance to the between the points increases. The initial power of the transmitter (the power meter) determines the maximum effective range. Increasing power output to the antenna however decreases functional battery life, so a balance is struck.

In addition, there are design strategies that can take the available power and focus it in certain directions. This will in effect extend the useful range at any give battery power usage rate. I believe that stages has designed their transmitting antennas ( google Transmitting Antenna Patterns for example) as perhaps a very thin Dipole. THis pattern would be like a very flat donut or a cd platter..

Receiving antennas can also be designed to "look" in certain directions to improve performance. Now lets assume for purposes of explainaiton of this situation, that the Garmin has a similar pattern, a flat disk.

So now lets think about the orientation of these two patterns based on position of the Garmin wrist vs handlebar.

IF the Garmin is on your handlebar and the receiving antenna patter is like a 5 foot CD, and the transmitting antenna pattern Stages on the crank is another 5 foot CD, it is easy to see that the patterns would intersect constantly and provide a reliable connection.

Consider now having the Garmin on your left wrist. The intersection would be spotty at best.

I'm convinced that, while the actual patterns might be different than I've outlined here, this describes the basis of the problem.

I know it doesn't help any of us who have a similar set up, but perhaps someone might be able to offer a 3rd party solution to enhance the pattern(s) and improve performance.

Or we can just go out and get new devices, particularly ones specifically designed to work together.

As for me, I'll stick with my current set up. For Sprints I don't much care about bike power, for international distance I can hold the garmin in my hand. For long course I'll just take the few seconds to strap it on the handlebar. Then, when the time comes, I'll get a unified system.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropouts with Stages Crank Arm Power Meters [bobthib] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a significant number of dropouts when I had a Garmin 920. I always wore it on my left wrist on the road, and dropouts were to the point where I didn't even bother looking at my power numbers outside . I would strap it to the handlebar on the trainer, and there would rarely, if ever, be any dropouts.

My husband gave me a Fenix 3 for my birthday; I wear it on my wrist all the time. Dropouts are now exceedingly rare (downside is now I can't blame dropouts for time not spent pedaling!).

I am fairly certain it is a Garmin 910/920 or interaction issue, given that i've had zero problems since changing watches.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropouts with Stages Crank Arm Power Meters [Jwizzle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jwizzle wrote:
I had a significant number of dropouts when I had a Garmin 920. I always wore it on my left wrist on the road, and dropouts were to the point where I didn't even bother looking at my power numbers outside . I would strap it to the handlebar on the trainer, and there would rarely, if ever, be any dropouts.

My husband gave me a Fenix 3 for my birthday; I wear it on my wrist all the time. Dropouts are now exceedingly rare (downside is now I can't blame dropouts for time not spent pedaling!).

I am fairly certain it is a Garmin 910/920 or interaction issue, given that i've had zero problems since changing watches.

Jwizzle, I suspect Garmin recognized the problem and changed the receiving antenna pattern in the Fenix 3. Too bad I just ordered a 920!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
battery contact issue? I had dropouts with a cycling computer, then I was instructed to bend the battery contact slightly and have since had a summer of worry free operation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought my first Stages PM 3 years ago. Worked perfectly(172.5mm).
· No issue with dropouts on wrist(910, 920), or (handlebar520).
Decided to start riding shorter cranks(165mm), thus requiring new Stages PM during the past year.
· With the new PM, mounted on top of a BTA set up, I got ridiculous dropouts (25% - 40%).
· No issues when wrist mounted.
· Mounted on the handle bars and it was only marginally better.
o Stages eventually sent me a replacement PM.
New PM works fine if mounted on the handlebar/stem/wrist but no good on a BTA set up.
· This is also documented in the stages FAQs somewhere, but I can’t imagine how this will work out well for Stages with all of the BTA set ups out there.
· Big deal if you have to sit up all the time to get a drink instead of using a simple BTA.

Anybody else having dropouts on BTA set up with Stages/Garmin?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stages + 920xt was terrible. Stages + 500 was maybe tolerable. Stages in general was intolerable since it didn't work with the 920. Returned it for a real power meter.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropouts with Stages Crank Arm Power Meters [jeffgre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I've given up on mine for accuracy.

Works OK indoors 95% of time.
Still get dropouts even with no BTA bottle. But I do have computer mounted out front.

Outdoors isn't accurate at all.
I run a BTA set up and not willing to compromise.
Drop outs on edge 500, 520, 910 and 735.
Basically, the signal strength just isn't there compared to competitors.

I've now gone back to Quarq.

Stages will switch to road bike and may work a bit better there as less interference hopefully.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropouts with Stages Crank Arm Power Meters [pknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding battery contacts.

Yes, that can lead to to dropouts, but not in my case or Jwissle. In both of those cases the problem went away when mounted on the handle bar.
Last edited by: bobthib: Oct 26, 16 17:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stages and 910 have real issues when pairing both HRM and the PM.

I had all sorts of issues - was fine with my 510 though which I found very odd.

I had no issues once I updated to a 920 other than the Stages having lots of battery problems, but that's another story.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropouts with Stages Crank Arm Power Meters [pknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pknight wrote:
battery contact issue? I had dropouts with a cycling computer, then I was instructed to bend the battery contact slightly and have since had a summer of worry free operation.

this.. and some electrical contact lube
Quote Reply
Re: Dropouts with Stages Crank Arm Power Meters [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is concerning because if I were to get a power meter that is the one I was thinking of. What did stages connect best with?
Quote Reply
Re: Dropouts with Stages Crank Arm Power Meters [nocolonstlrolln] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many Stages have trouble connecting with Garmin Forerunner units. The Garmin Edge bike computer units usually work far better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had tons of dropouts with SRM PC8 and also Garmin 500- the dropouts coupled with the fact that the Stages gives readings all over the map rendered it pretty much useless as a training tool.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropouts with Stages Crank Arm Power Meters [nocolonstlrolln] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a Stages left 175mm for about 2 years now. I didn't really have dropout problems with an edge 810 on the bar or also in front of a BTA at the aerobar shifters, or Fenix 2 watch on my right wrist (I did notice it once or twice but couldn't reproduce it and figure out what was different) . I also used speed/cadence ant+ sensors and HRM and di2 DFly, so lots of ant+ signals.

After changing my battery a few months ago, I have had a few times where I look down and see my edge hasn't been recording power for a minute or two, and reaching down and pushing on the battery door brought it back to life. I double checked the battery contacts and made sure the door was tightly installed and that seemed to fix the problem, at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bobthib wrote:
I'm looking for feedback on people experiencing problems with intermittent drops outs with Stages Power Meters. Particularly if you encounter problems with drop outs with a watch type device like the Garmin 910XT or 920 when worn on the wrist.

Or we can just go out and get new devices, particularly ones specifically designed to work together.

As for me, I'll stick with my current set up. For Sprints I don't much care about bike power, for international distance I can hold the garmin in my hand. For long course I'll just take the few seconds to strap it on the handlebar. Then, when the time comes, I'll get a unified system.

1) yes, the struggle is real
2) no, if I spend $$ it will be on a coach
3) <deep sigh> technology. Technology.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is how I've used my Stages PM and associated Garmin gear for the past 3 years with 'no' issues:

- on the trainer: Ant+ usb with trainer road, laptop in front of bike, no issues with connections/drop-outs (using trainer road and now zwift). garmin 500 is attached to stem and collects data as well (no known issues) also, I lay my garmin 910xt on the ground near the crank for super back-up.

Note: I do 99% of my riding indoors so for me its easy to do these and part of my routine and just makes sure I have the ride saved somehow should a battery die or something mid-ride.

- outside (on road bike): 910xt on wrist, will intermittently pickup wattage (but generally used for time). Garmin 500 mounted to stem picks up all data from the stages (no known drops). Again, this type of riding accounts for a very small part of my training.

-race day - same as above, and I've generally had good/consistent data with my race files (outside of one race where a battery died...)

Overall, I found early on that the watch wasn't great at picking up the data out on rides, but my Garmin 500 works great and it wasnt a hassle for me to have two going at the same time (and made bricks way easier). I look at my data at a pretty high level (I generally leave this to my coach) so I'm sure a more astute user might have an alternate view (though my coach hasn't commented on weird data over the last two years either...)

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Speedfill BTA cage with the Garmin mount on top and get tons of dropouts until I'm about halfway through a bottle. Get lots of dropouts riding inside even with center mount on road bike. Extremely annoying. This is with a 520
Last edited by: USCoregonian: Nov 1, 16 13:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I used to have a bunch of drop-outs on the stages connected to a Garmin 910xt on my wrist.

I have been using a stages since 2013 spring.

Since then I have only had a positive experience with the company. Customer service is amazing, and always willing to help and provide me with solutions or replace/repair the product. Even without my warranty.

During my first little bit of time, I did have quite a few drop outs in the Aero position. (Watch being on my wrist). I moved the watch to my bike, but could not see the numbers correctly. After discussing with Stages they suggested I look at what data I was recording and stop recording the zeros. I have not had an issue since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not too sure if this answers your question any more than the other posts have, but I know people seem to want to point fingers at Stages, but I have seen MANY files with a Garmin 910, 920, 520 that consistent drop. Wait for it...from Quarq and SRM. So, as to not wanting to say it's one or the other, I think it is a combination of many variables in the equation. I have had 4 SRMs and 3 Stages. ALL had problems with Garmins...520 in particular. I personally have never had a 920 or 910, but athletes I work with would send me their files because their avg power was so low. When you look at the data, you can see all the drops. Easily seen when they are riding the trainer. I know it has to do with reception, but just to clarify, from my experience, it hasn't been a Stages issue, or SRM issue, it was the placement of the head unit (in this case a Garmin 520) issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have experience with Stages and a Garmin 820? I use a Stages and a Garmin 800 and am looking to see if a change in head unit would help.

My experience has been using an up front mount with the Garmin 800 incurs regular dropouts. On the flats I haven't been too concerned about this, but a local hill where I do my intervals and pay closer attention to my watts I have seen as high as 90% dropouts. I switched to mounting the Garmin on my stem and this has resolved dropouts on the flats. I've yet to do the same hill intervals and compare. However, I now have to crane my neck downwards to see the screen and I do not like this long term.

This is all on a road bike setup with a carbon frame + fork, carbon bottle cages, aluminum stem, and aluminum bars. A bottle of water on the down tube as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropouts with Stages Crank Arm Power Meters [Bogusdogs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a similar problem with a Power2Max and a 910XT. I also don't think it is likely to be the Stages Power Meter.

To show it was the watch I joined the ANT developer network and installed their software in a PC virtual machine (it is PC only), which I connected to a USB ANT stick. This allowed me to record directly the hex transmissions from the Power Meter. I then stopped the laptop (solid state hard-drive) shutting off when closed, put the laptop in a rucksack and went for a cycle. I repeated this with a USB extension running down inside my jersey arm to exactly where a watch would be. Faultless every time.

I know the USB ANT receiver is higher powered than a watch, but it was enough to allow me to get my money back. There probably is a way to measure signal strength too, but I didn't look into it.

Incidentally, I found it much worse when on a bike with an aluminium frame, but better with a carbon one.

Never had dropped power with a Wahoo bike case or an iBike Newton, whatever the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year's version of this thread... looks like there still isn't a solution... ?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Garmin_920xt_%2B_Stages_Power_meter_dropouts_P5507965/

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nocolonstlrolln wrote:
This is concerning because if I were to get a power meter that is the one I was thinking of. What did stages connect best with?

I have stages but I knew about these issues before I bought it and I bought a polar m450 which connects via Bluetooth and I have it mounted on my bike during triathlons. Works fine. I wear my Garmin 920xt on my wrist I really haven't noticed any major drops. Any drops are very short.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently used my Stages left crank arm power meter at a bike studio for indoor riding on rollers. At the studio I recorded the activity using a Garmin 520, and the studio records data using their ANT+ receivers with real-time details displayed on a personal screen.

I experienced prolonged periods of drop-outs, simultaneously, on both my 520 and the studio's equipment .
Both systems picked the signal back up simultaneously as well.

This leads me to believe, in this scenario, it's the power meter and not the receiving unit.

I always check for the latest firmware updates. I've tried tips such as adjusting the battery prongs in the power meter, to no avail.

I've attached the power chart from this activity to illustrate. The issue started to become severe at roughly the 1:08:00 mark.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropouts with Stages Crank Arm Power Meters [daleks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Following up after I upgraded from the Garmin 800 to a Wahoo ELEMNT. The ELEMNT has had no dropouts, even while on an out-front mount. So there is a mix of transmitter and receiver at play here.
Quote Reply