Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Drafting rules for TT
Quote | Reply
In a TT I assume it is legal to be in another riders draft only when passing. In other words if one is to overtake a rider in front you may enter their draft zone only when making a pass. Is this correct?

Otherwise I see the draft zone in TT is what....like 50'?

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting rules for TT [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the pertinent section from the USA Cycling rulebook:

3E6. Rider Conduct.
(a) On an out-and-back course, riders shall stay to the right of the centerline or enforcement line at all times.
(b) No rider shall take pace behind another rider closer than 25 meters (80 feet) ahead or 2 meters (7 feet) to the side.
(c) No two riders may ride abreast other than when attempting to pass and such attempts shall not be maintained beyond a distance of 500 meters. If the pass is not made cleanly within 500 meters, the caught rider must drop back to a distance 25 meters behind the rider who caught him.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by vjohn [ In reply to ]
Post deleted by FatandSlow [ In reply to ]
Re: Drafting rules for TT [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is kind of a stupid question, but do they enforce the metric or imperial units? Because 25 meters is actually a hair over 82 feet and 2 meters just a little over 6.5 feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But I can enter the 80' draft zone to make a pass correct? Just like in triathlon as long as you execute the pass there is no drafting violation if you enter the draft zone and proceed to pass the rider ahead.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>But I can enter the 80' draft zone to make a pass correct?

Yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
But I can enter the 80' draft zone to make a pass correct? Just like in triathlon as long as you execute the pass there is no drafting violation if you enter the draft zone and proceed to pass the rider ahead.

No. If you get within 80', you must be at least 6' off to one side or the other. You may never enter the 80'x12' box.
Last edited by: asgelle: Jul 31, 14 9:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you are doing a wisport event this weekend. usac rules do not technically apply. trying to slingshot off riders, however, is just asking for trouble
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting rules for TT [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually the following as posted above is right on their website as well. I just didn't want to get in trouble or be unethical by slingshotting at times.

3E6. Rider Conduct.

(b) No rider shall take pace behind another rider closer than 25 meters (80 feet) ahead or 2 meters (7 feet) to the side.
(c) No two riders may ride abreast other than when attempting to pass and such attempts shall not be maintained beyond a distance of 500 meters. If the pass is not made cleanly within 500 meters, the caught rider must drop back to a distance 25 meters behind the rider who caught him.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
again, it is wisport, friendly folks, not egomaniacs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a lot of open TT's. Drafting is never an issue like in an IM. Following the rule is easy and very much self enforced.
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting rules for TT [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After about 10 years of doing TTs, I saw my first penalties this past weekend. 3 DQs. No warnings. No penalty. Straight to DQ. I would have expected a warning and a 2 minute penalty. Without disclosing more, it appears to have been flagrant, but the riders didn't agree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I have one poster telling me I can enter the draft and another I can't. I want to be aware of the rules, follow the rules. And go beyond that and follow them even better to have a safe and fun ride.

This is not my first Wisport event and they are great folks that put on a great and low key event.

Quote Reply
Re: Drafting rules for TT [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I've done countless TT's and I (and everyone who has ever passed me) always "slingshot" when I pass. I just make sure I am at a significantly higher speed on approach and pass out of the draft zone quickly. If my catch is a lot slower or if I am yoyoing with the rider ahead I stay to the side much more. If you watch passes on the Tour they also slingshot in most cases. I think most officials are looking for stationary "sit in" drafting, that's all you need to worry about.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
After about 10 years of doing TTs, I saw my first penalties this past weekend. 3 DQs. No warnings. No penalty. Straight to DQ. I would have expected a warning and a 2 minute penalty. Without disclosing more, it appears to have been flagrant, but the riders didn't agree.

The cat 1/2 field at Shenandoah?

Anyone know how much shenanigan was going on and who reported on whom?
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting rules for TT [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:

The cat 1/2 field at Shenandoah?

Anyone know how much shenanigan was going on and who reported on whom?

Sorry echappist, but I don't tell names and stories. I've met one of the cyclists and know most of the officials. If what the officials said is true, then it was flagrant, even if it wasn't intentional.

That's all I'll say.

Again, my apologies.
Quote Reply