Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Doug Clark's family could use some help
Quote | Reply
https://pages.giveforward.com/medical/page-my688m3/

As some of you may know, outstanding triathlete (Kona AG champion, multiple National AG champ, etc.) and all-around nice guy Doug Clark has been battling brain cancer for about two years. His journey through this has been exceedingly difficult, as can be expected. His family is now reaching out to the community for assistance, so I thought that I'd raise the visibility a bit.

I've been fortunate to have been in the local NJ triathlon scene for years, and have spent many an after-race hangout with Doug. A highlight for me was the one occasion we went off in the same wave, and he asked me if he could draft me in the swim. I said yes, of course, and he won the race, of course.

In any case, keep Doug and his family in your thoughts.

(edit: Doug is BigBloke on slowtwitch. If you know Doug, you know why he has that user name!)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: klehner: Oct 20, 16 6:39
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Clark's family could use some help [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
https://pages.giveforward.com/medical/page-my688m3/

As some of you may know, outstanding triathlete (Kona AG champion, multiple National AG champ, etc.) and all-around nice guy Doug Clark has been battling brain cancer for about two years. His journey through this has been exceedingly difficult, as can be expected. His family is now reaching out to the community for assistance, so I thought that I'd raise the visibility a bit.

I've been fortunate to have been in the local NJ triathlon scene for years, and have spent many an after-race hangout with Doug. A highlight for me was the one occasion we went off in the same wave, and he asked me if he could draft me in the swim. I said yes, of course, and he won the race, of course.

In any case, keep Doug and his family in your thoughts.

Ken, that is crazy horrible news about Doug. I am pretty sure most of us were unaware. Be strong Doug and get through this fight!
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Clark's family could use some help [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the pleasure of meeting Doug and spending a little time with him at 2014 Nationals. Super nice guy, very tall, and a Brit, I had no idea he was from the U.K. Wishing him and his family all the best.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't really say that I raced against Doug because his talent is so far above mine, but we did toe the same starting line at a few events over the years...always happy to lend whatever help I can to great families. Donation done...
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Clark's family could use some help [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
I had the pleasure of meeting Doug and spending a little time with him at 2014 Nationals. Super nice guy, very tall, and a Brit, I had no idea he was from the U.K. Wishing him and his family all the best.

I once asked him why, since his biking was so strong, he didn't do straight-up bike TTs. He said something along the lines of having had enough racing against Boardman "back in the day."

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well fuck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. I will contribute. Scary how a disaster like this can hit any of us. How is he doing these days? I have not seen any updates on his twitter account in a while https://twitter.com/dougsbrain
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Clark's family could use some help [baliman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
baliman wrote:
Thanks for posting. I will contribute. Scary how a disaster like this can hit any of us. How is he doing these days? I have not seen any updates on his twitter account in a while https://twitter.com/dougsbrain

I don't know that Doug wants that information shared publicly, sorry. He has been giving updates on his CarePages site, but I don't know who sees that.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you for the update - been following @dougsbrain on twitter for some time, was wondering what had happened.. pitched in my few pennies.

Remember talking to Doug in Budapest on the boat, after Yastrebov had dogged his footsteps all through the run then sprinted past for 2nd in m40-44.. was not happy.

Best of luck BigBloke..
Last edited by: doug in co: Oct 20, 16 14:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely remember in my younger days seeing some old dude always way high up among the young guns - it was always Doug's name. Wishing him and his family well. Sounds like a tough dude. I know he can pull through.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If any one asked who in the sport I'd look up to, it would be Doug. He's a family man that balances triathlon and a technical job. His passion is inspiring. The USAT magazine with his article sits at my work desk. Anytime I feel defeated or low, Doug's article reminds me to keep at it whether it's work, life, or triathlon.

I'm sure you tri geeks have frequented his website:
http://www.newjerseytriathloncoach.com

Some of the best coaching tips and tools I've seen are posted there. A tribute that Doug's brain is not all that bad.

BTW his PayPal email address is on his website. If you want to avoid these awful charitable transaction fees, that's one way to go.
Last edited by: hetron: Oct 21, 16 5:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terrible, terrible news.

I don't know Doug personally (met him once) but have only ever heard great things about him. Sport aside - just a genuinely good guy.

Positive vibes to he and his family!

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Clark's family could use some help [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can only echo the same comments already made - i raced him at the ITU Worlds at Edmonton and we had a great battle for 1st and 2nd. I have been following his progress and i really hope to be able to race him again at some stage in the future.

Chris Walker.
Gibraltar,
Europe
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Clark's family could use some help [hetron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not finding the email address on the website
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Clark's family could use some help [mcnocera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.newjerseytriathloncoach.com/services

The last paragraph has a link to his paypal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the post. Doug is a fighter and if anyone can beat this fucking brutal disease it's him.

Have donated, and to others, please help if you can.
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Clark's family could use some help [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Truth. Doug wouldn't let up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

On behalf of Doug and Hillary (Mrs. Big Bloke) they'd like to express their immense gratitude to the members of the Slowtwitch community that have so generously supported them in their time of need. They are truly overwhelmed and humbled by it.

Doug has faced some setbacks in his battle against this evil disease but he will continue to fight.

I'll continue to share your messages of support with them. Thank you for your donations.

Jim
Last edited by: Xing triathlete: Oct 26, 16 14:15
Quote Reply