Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Double bottle BTA setups
Quote | Reply
I have seen several people run these such as Rachel Joyce and this one by Amanda Stevens. Both do not run bottles behind the seat so I assume they do not like reaching behind the saddle? Either way interesting.

Quote Reply
Re: Double bottle BTA setups [PUTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think if your knees don't hit the bottles, then this is a smart setup - very aero. I get annoyed at stuff dripping out of bottles on the bike, so it's not for me though.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Mirra had a really cool set up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on the picture, it looks like they're parallel. If you're going to do 2x in the front, wouldn't one in front of the other (back to back) make more sense?

ETA: Like the link for Dave Mirra in the post above
Last edited by: timbasile: Jan 25, 16 11:59
Quote Reply
Re: Double bottle BTA setups [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am working on a 3D printed part to mount two bottle cages BTA. Loaded it to shapeway and should be shipped in the next week or so. Will report back how it works out!
Quote Reply
Re: Double bottle BTA setups [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that's an optical illusion. the right one is smaller (farther away) from the left one. Bars are pointed back behind the rider.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Double bottle BTA setups [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
I believe that's an optical illusion. the right one is smaller (farther away) from the left one. Bars are pointed back behind the rider.

Yup, they are inline, though the rear cage is tilted up slightly so the bottle can be removed (clearing the front bottle). I think Rinny's setup has the bottles end-to-end, so the bottles stay perfectly inline.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Double bottle BTA setups [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Mirra had then ends together.

Quote Reply
Re: Double bottle BTA setups [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is the rear cage attached? To the stem? To extra extension length behind the pad brackets? TO ran the same setup as Rinny at Kona, but I can't find close up pictures of either that show mounting.
Quote Reply
Re: Double bottle BTA setups [mdm81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a closer pic:

It looks like both are mounted to the extensions. The front one uses the standard Profile torpedo mount that velcros to the bars. For the rear cage not sure what she's using (could be those Profile crossbars), but hopefully Matt will chime in with the official word.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Double bottle BTA setups [forshy0516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any pictures you can share of the design?
also how do you plan to mount them

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Double bottle BTA setups [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was thinking of purchasing an Xlab Kopact and mounting to aero bar, behind my Torpedo 400 set-up.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: Double bottle BTA setups [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My original plan with having mounts for 2 bottle cages the 3D printing company I was going with did not have a printer big enough to get the dimension I wanted. I ended up modifying it to fit with my profile design aero HC. My next try at it I need to figure out how to mount my computer. I also am not sure how it will hold up on the roads as I haven't been able to take it out on the roads...will probably have to wait for spring on that one. In a stationary position though it looks pretty decent :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone done this on a P5? I am on a 51cm with relatively short reach so not sure I can setup this way.

I currently have my computer in front of my BTA bottle (as far forward as it will go), then used an XLAB thingy to shift the BTA bottle cage back. I can't see how I would fit a second bottle in and guessing I am s*** out of luck.

My fall back for a hot race will probably have to be a third bottle mounted to the frame but not massively keen on this.(Second bottle is behind my ass)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate behind the saddle bottles too. Hard for my to reach because i sit so far forward, and it's a matter of when, not if they will launch.

I wish I had a photo of Tim O Donnel's set-up on his Trek Speed Concept. I assume he had a custom adapter made. I have my extensions set too short to make it work, and I like my computer between my hands. The Gatorade Endurance bottles already partially obscures the bottom of my computer.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Double bottle BTA setups [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can get two bottles (bottom to bottom) sitting up there you can probably rig *something* up. Getting it sturdy and aero can be a chore though. I went through many different iterations before I got something I was happy with.

I use an X-lab torpedo up front so I don't have to worry about getting it in and out during a race (my computer blocks it). The frame for it is just aluminum bar from home depot with holes drilled in it and covered with a "carbon fiber" sticker and riveted together. They are zip tied to the bars.

On my p3 it attached to the stem but on my scott the aerobars (TriRig Gamma) extended out the back enough I could put the the cross piece there instead.

Quote Reply
Re: Double bottle BTA setups [balsdorf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome! You should submit that to GCN as a hack.

I might try replicating at the weekend. Couple follow up questions: Any impact to handling? Do you use a computer?

Your dog is kind of creepy by the way. Does he always photobomb? I'm scanning the third photo for his eyes somewhere in the trees... :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No impact on handling in my opinion, but I'm not a super lightweight (~170lbs racing) and I don't have a cycling background so I'm not very sensitive to handling. I also live in the flatlands so I pretty much can just sit in aero and go straight (Galveston 70.3 is my best course).

I do have a computer but it is kinda awkward. In the last picture you can see the mount all the way at the front of the aerobar. It means I can't grab my extensions fully but again, it hasn't been an issue for me.

Thor does love to photobomb. I searched for "Dog" in my google photos and was surprised at how many random pictures he was in.

I've attached a few photos with my bike computer on, unfortunately the mount is off at the moment but you get the idea.

With the mount on the front bottle came pretty much right up to the garmin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Double bottle BTA setups [balsdorf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great. I might play at the weekend! Thanks for taking the time out to post photos. If I manage to jerry-rig my setup and see if I can achieve something similar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a closeup of the double BTA I just recently ran on my P5. Just went back to 1 BTA because I did not like the Garmin mount where it was / tried a Speedfil Z4 cage, but did not like how high up my 520 sat above the bottle. The bracket was made from a aluminum bar I bought for a few bucks from Home Depot (link here).

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Double bottle BTA setups [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Where did you move the second bottle to? Or did you just vanquish it completely?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Down to 3 (BTA, BTS, downtube)
Quote Reply
Re: Double bottle BTA setups [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Not wanting to add extra pieces to my set up to accommodate the need to support 4 water bottle cagebolts, I opted to just use one bolt per water bottle cage on the Trek Speedconcept mono aerobar. The aeropad bridge forced me to need to dremmel part of the Rigcage bottle cage. I haven't see too many other cages that would allow this modification and still hold the bottle. I have a Profile Design aero bottle cage up front. I've added a 3M rubber bumper under the front end of the metal piece that fits to the underside of the profile design bottle. This current set up has worked great and is quiet, secure and simple.

(the ribcage is THE most secure cage for holding a bottle. period. so much so that I can't use it on the downtube of my road bike where I need to grab my bottle frequently - just too difficult to pull out each time)

OK, but thinking ahead: I could see myself making a 56oz bottle using insulated steel bottles (seriously, how do those bottles keep my coffee steaming hot for 8 hours?!!) so that I can add some ice cubes and have cold fluid an entire race; I'd cut a hole for refilling. I'd just need to trim off the back ends of the two cages in the photos above and it could fit well.

And then pre-race, I'd fill some of these: http://www.sorbentsystems.com/minipouches.html up with own drink mix (2 scoops Roctane, 2-3 scoops EFS Pro depending on temp) and refill with water at aid stations and mix on the go.... It's a thought.

The other thought is make a custom cage that can hold a 70oz titanium insulated bottle with aero straw, and then keep another full one at the special needs bag station... what's slower: stopping for that special needs bag and getting 2min rest, or re-filling and mixing on the go?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Sep 4, 16 9:39
Quote Reply
Re: Double bottle BTA setups [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just seeing this now, i have been trying to get 2 water bottle on the front end! Looks like you have figured this out.....going to start re working on mine now

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply

Prev Next