Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Doping news out of Switzerland
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Doping news out of Switzerland [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Why oh my? I assume this is happening all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Doping news out of Switzerland [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 The Audacity
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the lack of responses on this post says everything you need to know about this. Almost like when someone posts that Trump tweeted something stupid. It's expected and generally becoming accepted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and 28 Russians had their doping bans overturned. The battle is not looking good....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is sad to see no interest, but maybe it is a sign that it is accepted as the norm.

But please let us keep politics in the lavender room
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stupid? Or just not snowflake approved?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
It is sad to see no interest, but maybe it is a sign that it is accepted as the norm.

Thank you Herbert.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I shared the story on FB so hopefully it will get some traction. The sad part is it is likely the tip of the iceberg, as we all know, and with the overturning of the Russian athletes suspension the battle seems to be going the wrong way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

I'm always deep into doping threads, but I admit this one is a bit boring.

It'd be interesting if the names of significant athletes could be attached to it.

I guess one interesting bit is the apparently difference vs. the U.S. if the claim that criminal charges could be brought against the Dr. are true.

That seems pretty rare that Drs. are held to either criminal or civil charges.
Quote Reply
Re: Doping news out of Switzerland [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The names in Europe are typically protected and not made public until found guilty.

I suspect this is the tip of the iceberg

H
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not going to lie, I changed my MO about racing with the Fancy Bear leaks in 2016. I really only strive now to be the best version of myself in triathlon and live a healthy lifestyle. If that is good enough for 10th place in a race, than so be it. Maybe I was naive prior, and I would love to hear Jordan's thoughts too but it has been very disenchanting that it seems there are so many cheats out there. Why people can't be happy with being the best version of themselves I can't ever understand. I do believe Lionel is clean, despite a checkered path of drug use. I hold onto that thanks to his incredible first Ironman bike split at Ironman Louisville in 2010 when he was all of 20 years old. It is part of the reason I would like to honestly see him win because I do believe he is clean and that gives me hope that even with the cheating you can still be a world champion thanks to a relentless work ethic.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
The names in Europe are typically protected and not made public until found guilty.

Most of the names in the Papp case are not public either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little internet sleuthing didn't take long to figure out the Dr's name. Too many hints in the articles... now connecting the dots to athletes will be a bit more difficult.
Quote Reply
Re: Doping news out of Switzerland [WaySub4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PM me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

I think there is a lot of interest, but what can we say now that hasn't already been said again and again? The news isn't shocking, just depressing confirmation of what many of us suspect.
Quote Reply
Re: Doping news out of Switzerland [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Herbert wrote:

I think there is a lot of interest, but what can we say now that hasn't already been said again and again? The news isn't shocking, just depressing confirmation of what many of us suspect.

Agreed. I would feel better about the world if I was more shocked, but that is not the case... I wonder how old the "young man" was in this scenario. The sad part of this would be the doctor's influence on younger naive patients. They are probably few and far between, but still it could ruin an athletes career.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

Interesting would being a majority of the Olympic athletes protesting the games until there were stricter doping penalties.

Interesting would be all the teams at the Tour de France riding under protest until stricter penalties were created.

Etc. etc.

But it doesn’t happen most(not all) just keep their mouths shut. So from my point of view they are all so close to doping they don’t want to risk it, they have friends/teammates that are that they don’t want caught up in it, or whatever other absurd reason they keep their mouths shut.

There are more amateurs it seems that are pissed off about doping than pros. Until that flips any doping reports really aren’t that surprising.
Quote Reply
Re: Doping news out of Switzerland [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the US, there are so many "anti-aging" clinics out there now. Lots of older racers trying to chase their glory days with pharmaceutical enhancement. And as has been shown on these forums in the past, many of these individuals do not even believe they are cheating.
Quote Reply
Re: Doping news out of Switzerland [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think it's a classic collective action problem. i'm sure there are a lot of pros who are really upset about doping, but what's the incentive to act? most sports lack a strong union, and there are very, very few pros (or none?) who have the leverage to go out alone. i'm thinking maybe someone like. . .who? federer? tiger woods in the old days? phelps? usain bolt? it's a short list.

i'd guess that there are a lot of pros in a lot of sports who have thought about their options and decided their best play is to train and race in such a way that their conscience is clean, and maybe try in their little way to change the culture from the inside. but they know that if they held a press conference tomorrow to quit the sport in protest, they'd get tumbleweed and crickets.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 3rd part of that investigative story is super crazy and deals with the new tamper proof urin bottles - made in Switzerland. And they are apparently not very good.

Someone quickly duplicated the bottle and said in terms of a difficulty range from 1-10, with 10 being a bank note, the bottle was a 0.3

H
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, how dare they want to continue to get paid. It's so absurd that most professional athletes don't make a lot of money, so they're not going to lose it all in a useless gesture. I recall a lot of athletes calling out doping recently as well, so I'm not sure where you're getting your statistic that the ametures are the only ones who care. I suspect the vast majority of ametures don't, in fact.
Quote Reply
Re: Doping news out of Switzerland [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pro's definitely care. And if you are a continental pro with no biological or whereabouts testing, it's even easier. Everyone saw all the EPO positives from last years South American road race correct?

12 Rider Test Positive for EPO
Quote Reply
Re: Doping news out of Switzerland [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to ask - if an athlete is 50+ and winning at IM distance - what is the criteria applied by the ST Mob that gives this person a pass on being accused of doping? Are the days gone that someone can be given the benefit of the doubt that he/she has put in the work and made life/career sacrifices to be at the FOP?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is sad to see no interest, but maybe it is a sign that it is accepted as the norm. //

Yes I believe this is it. A story about an AG'er going to a doctor to get EPO or T happens in every city, in every state, and every day here in the US. If that were the bar, then we could have a field day with a hidden camera right in our own back yards. It really wouldn't be news unless it was someone famous or a professional athlete. Exposing AG'ers that no one knows or cares about would just be news to us in the sport, or perhaps the company a person works for, but probably not even there most of the time.

If I had enough extra time and some funding I could get one a day at least of these types of going on for a very long time, but would anyone really care?? Guessing not or some enterprising individual would have done it already. Perhaps 60 minutes will get to it one day, that would be a great story for them to do as a look at what is happening in the longevity clinics these days, right up their alley..
Quote Reply

Prev Next