Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dominican Republic resorts - Lap Pool anywhere?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at a trip to the DR in the next couple of weeks. Has anyone found a resort (adults only preferred) that actually has a pool with straight lines that I could use for lap swimming? From the pictures on the interweb I see that the Breathless in Punta Cana has a very straight lined pool, but can you actually swim laps in it?
Quote Reply
Re: Dominican Republic resorts - Lap Pool anywhere? [JMac650c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know Hard Rock Cafe Hotel has some pretty big pools. No lap lines that I know of. However, if you're going down there, bring your swim skin (or wetsuit) and log some OWS time. The water there is beautiful and clear. Depending on where you're staying, Cap Cana has a nice protected lagoon at their beach club. You can swim parallel to the shore from the Westin on the north end of PuntaCana up to Club Med. Or if you're up in Bavaro, I think you could swim parallel to the resorts or up north off Playa Macao.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the Love of god, whatever you do, PLEASE PLEASE don't book at Be Live. They don't have the pool firstly but more importantly I went with a group of 30 in November. Upon departure 29/30 had been sick once from poor quality control in the food preparations and some people got it twice in the single stay. Between that, the cockroaches and the rude front desk staff It's a horrid place. We ended up eating only soup an bread for 5/7 days to avoid illness. Not to mention their organization is not taking ownership of the problem which in the end ruined a family members wedding.

Very bad service and not worth the money.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Dominican Republic resorts - Lap Pool anywhere? [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has nothing to do with poor quality of food preparation. It all has to do with you gut not being ready for the microbes that live in the country. No matter where you go or stay, you will get pretty nasty diarrhea in DR. Same thing in Mexico and many other countries.

Drink only bottled water and no ice on your drinks.
Quote Reply
Re: Dominican Republic resorts - Lap Pool anywhere? [tovi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've stayed at many many many places and I'm telling you there were blatant quality control issues (E.G. raw chicken and cooked chicken storage). All travelers were prepared with medical vaccinations from the many vacations in the Caribbean and drank bottled water, which in DR is mandatory for all who consume it foreign or domestic. I've traveled to 4 continents and this and one other were the only illnesses in all that time. There is also a virus going around in the region so be aware of that and bring bug spray.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're probably talking about Chinkungunya virus. It's transmitted by mosquitoes and its pretty nasty. I got it in Puerto Rico this past fall and its pretty horrible. You'll feel like you're dying for about 4 days. So yes, take TONS of bug spray and USE IT!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that you all got sick. I've traveled to many resorts in the DR and haven't had that experience, but I'm very careful about what I consume.

In any case, that resort wasn't on my short list. I may just have to deal with the strange pool shapes no matter where I go.
Quote Reply
Re: Dominican Republic resorts - Lap Pool anywhere? [pangaea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pangaea wrote:
log some OWS time. Or if you're up in Bavaro, I think you could swim parallel to the resorts or up north off Playa Macao.

Thanks for the push. We were near Bavaro last year, and the wind and chop was a bit too much to swim in the ocean. Granted this is a couple of months later, but I find it's quite windy and choppy on the beach. However, I'll consider it as an option wherever I end up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I'm in DR now at the CHIC. They do have a long pool that has a gradually curved edge, and it's almost 50m. It's really easy to follow the edge and go back and forth easily. The resort is new and swanky. So nice to be away from the frigid north for now.
Quote Reply