Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Dog getting too close to bike trainer?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have issues with their pets getting too close to the bike trainer? I have a labradoodle and I always worry about his long hair on his tail getting caught in the flywheel of the trainer when he's moving about the PainCave. I've also hit him in the head a few times with the pedals when he's trying to hand me toys or pick up toys he drops under the bike. Now he's pretty much figured out the safe space for that but I still worry about catching his tail someday.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog getting too close to bike trainer? [SwiftRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not just keep him out of the pain cave and in a different room while you're getting your workouts in?
Quote Reply
Re: Dog getting too close to bike trainer? [C_Hassard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly an option, but in the hundreds of hours training I've never had anything major happen. I'm just checking to see if I'm being paranoid or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dog is curious and gets bumped once in a while but has the sense to stay away from the drivetrain. But he hated it if I do push ups or pull ups.

I would say don't worry about it.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Dog getting too close to bike trainer? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lock my cat out of the training room when we are riding. It is very unlikely but if my pet got hurt or killed by getting caught up in the drivetrain or wheel, I would feel horrible. I have seen some pictures on social media where people's toddlers are running around while they are on a trainer. Makes me cringe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SwiftRunner wrote:
Certainly an option, but in the hundreds of hours training I've never had anything major happen. I'm just checking to see if I'm being paranoid or not.

Mostly paranoid :) My dog in another room while I'm doing anything is almost never an option.

Actually, with my set up now, between the treadmill and a bookcase he really can't get close to the trainer and rear wheel. That might be a good option - just block off the rear wheel area with chairs or something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Train it to "place" and put a bed in the room. Mine will go to place with a verbal command and a point
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an Australian Shepard so no tail to worry about. But he gets right stressed out when I'm on the trainer. He alternates between barking at me to get off and whining while sucking on s sock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dog's awesome. He either lays a few feet away from the bike or near the fan in front of the bike. He's generally a bit of a spaz but is really cool around the trainer or treadmill.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Dog getting too close to bike trainer? [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always keep my dog away from me when I'm on the trainer.

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Re: Dog getting too close to bike trainer? [StephanM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would worry for the cat since they are stupid.

Your dog should be fine, if mine ever get to close they get "the stare" (they understand).
But really you can brake the rear wheel in like 1 second.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog getting too close to bike trainer? [duvivr6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my cats got clocked by my crank once. He's never come near the bikes again.

My dog, just lays on the couch behind me - and lays there for as long as I ride. Real hard work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dog hops up on the couch and sleeps while I am on the bike.
Knows there is no love while I am busy. But she likes to be in the room with me .
Jeff

You can't fix stupid ..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dogs learn rather quickly. I bring my dog into the workout room often. In the beginning, he got curious and started sniffing at the gear. Then his nose got bopped by my shoe. That was the last time he ever got close. He also knows a command called, 'back' which means that he actually has to take a step backwards.

As for the set up, I have a dog bed in there and sometimes I'll bring some water. I also start the workout by giving him a rawhide stick. When that's done, he's usually up for a nap.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but not sure I have a solution unless you keep them out, or put a barrier around it. Fortunately my Doberman has a little nubbin tail, so thats not an issue. But he incessantly brings me toys and then wants me to throw them, or drops them under the pedals. He also sits on my when I do sit-ups, and backs his hip in to my head when I do pushups. The harder I push back, the harder he leans his hip :) I am okay with it most of the time, cuz its what makes him him.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two of my dogs are scared of it and the one that isn't is a short hair hound/beagle so don't have to worry about that. However, one time I did lean over to pet her, fell off my bike, hit my head where the closet door and wall meet, and gave myself a nice hematoma on the side of my head. Worst part was it wasn't my first trainer crash.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog getting too close to bike trainer? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Two of my dogs are scared of it and the one that isn't is a short hair hound/beagle so don't have to worry about that. However, one time I did lean over to pet her, fell off my bike, hit my head where the closet door and wall meet, and gave myself a nice hematoma on the side of my head. Worst part was it wasn't my first trainer crash.

That really made me LOL!!! I've almost fell a few times trying to grab things but am really lucky I've never went down!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I surround myself with an exercise pen. The dog lies down outside the pen and snoozes away.

http://www.chewy.com/...WZwsMCFUHl7AodKTQAog
Quote Reply
Re: Dog getting too close to bike trainer? [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm babysitting my daughter's cat for a few days. I keep the little critter out of the pain cave. The risk may be low, but my daughter would never forgive me if I chopped his head off with my rear wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The front chain ring is protected by your legs and the crank arms. The rear cogs have he seat stays and chain stays. So kind of hard to get a tail in there. I have big dogs and if their tails got in it would probably just bring me to a screeching halt.

My wife had one of our girls jump on the treadmill from the front once. It was as funny as you'd imagine. She went shooting out the back and thought it was the greatest thing ever.

If your dog is so small that they'd be seriously hurt by getting their tail in the chain, get a bigger dog.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog getting too close to bike trainer? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
The front chain ring is protected by your legs and the crank arms. The rear cogs have he seat stays and chain stays. So kind of hard to get a tail in there. I have big dogs and if their tails got in it would probably just bring me to a screeching halt.

My wife had one of our girls jump on the treadmill from the front once. It was as funny as you'd imagine. She went shooting out the back and thought it was the greatest thing ever.

If your dog is so small that they'd be seriously hurt by getting their tail in the chain, get a bigger dog.

Having your tail ripped off hurts, even if you are a 100 lb dog.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog getting too close to bike trainer? [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwisconsin wrote:
j p o wrote:

How would it get ripped off? It can't get in. Derailleur and crank arms in front, chain stays, seat stays, derailleur in back. You maybe could get some hair in.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking the biggest danger is probably the spokes, so I recommend getting a disc wheel. Plus, you'll be faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog getting too close to bike trainer? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
nickwisconsin wrote:
j p o wrote:

How would it get ripped off? It can't get in. Derailleur and crank arms in front, chain stays, seat stays, derailleur in back. You maybe could get some hair in.

Spokes of rotating rear wheel, chainline into cassette, chainline into chainrings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My pit rarely comes down to my paincave at all. She did once last year, didn't notice and kicked her in the face.. hasn't been back since. It must have really hurt on to of finding no benefit because normally she is darn persistent regardless of consequences.

My lab stays out if i"m down there alone on the trainer, if I'm lifting though she's snuck up on my and licked my calf while doing squats or will come up to my side while bench pressing that makes me more nervous than hitting her on the trainer.

But she comes down a lot recently now that my GF is riding on the trainer too (probably bored). I have no clue why but the way she tries to get the lab away from her, it's feet away not even close to getting hit, is like nails on the chalk board. Any other time the exact same tone would be perfectly tolerable, but for some reason if I'm on the trainer it seriously irritates me.

If I close the baby gate leading downstairs they get into the garbage or pee, if i leave it open they don't do anything so trapping them out of the room seems to be worse.
Quote Reply

Prev Next